Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerful new satellite beam for UK

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Powerful new satellite beam for UK

Astra 2E will enter service on February 1st. Launched last September, the satellite has been testing its frequencies and functionality these past weeks. The satellite is co-located at the 28.2 degrees East orbit position which is mainly devoted to coverage of the British Isles.

SES, which operates the satellite fleet, says that over the next few weeks the new Astra 2E will see programming from BSkyB, Channel 4, ITV and the BBC transferred. Viewers will not be affected, but SES says the powerful new satellite will mean a more tightly focussed UK beam, and better viewing for Scotland and Ireland, although viewing in France, Spain and the other expatriate areas will be more challenging.

Astra 2E also carries a Middle East beam which looks at Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq as well as the Eastern Mediterannean.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2014/01/31/powerful-new-satellite-beam-for-the-uk/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bandit148 (31-01-14),bigbaz (31-01-14),Donnie (31-01-14),harryoz (01-02-14),jonnyflash (31-01-14),marty (31-01-14),pac2000 (01-02-14),potterson (31-01-14),Sicilian (04-02-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I "should" get it on a 60cm dish according to the footprint map from SES

ASTRA_2EFG_UK_ku_band_spotbeam_H.jpg
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    Thanks
    This satellite will also carry channels for the middle east meaning the new version of Al Jazeera sport will be on it or am I hoping too much? :P

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What does this mean for the middle east...will we be getting sat channels from there???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Duo
    Vu+ Solo
    Gigablue HD 800 SE

All with latest vix image - Autobouquets - SgtFlipflop 28.2e Picons - WebradioFS

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi Marty,
    any idea?

ciao
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I would not put much stock in the official footprint maps, there is no way they could come up with a footprint as accurate as that, that said we will only know the full extent of the new footprint when the satellite goes live, so it's a waiting game rite now.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi phoenix,
    I also thought so. I wanted to change from 13E to 28.5E last year but decided to wait. I have 90cm at the marked position so it can nearly work or not.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks

28.2 in Spain

Hi

Does anyone know what's happening with all the UK terrestrial channels being moved so not viewable in Southern Spain any longer? They've been threatening it for a while but lots of services still exist.

Thanks

Coley

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    This thread should give you more info http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...te-beam-for-UK
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    See thread by pheoinix on the new spot beam for uk.

Wether it will be effective as planned only will know once its fully operational but likely it will and spain will lose channels

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coleycoleycoley View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know what's happening with all the UK terrestrial channels being moved so not viewable in Southern Spain any longer? They've been threatening it for a while but lots of services still exist.

Thanks

Coley
    Technically Astra 2E is now in service as of today, but from all the reports i have seen it's going to be a couple of weeks before they migrate the terrestrial channels over, so it's just a game of wait and see for now.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Found this bits.

Astra 2E, the change over begins.

The following frequencies have migrated from Astra 2A to the new satellite 2E.

11720 H
    11758 H
    11836 H
    11856 V
    11914 H
    12012 V
    12382 H
    12460 H

The above frequencies are for UK Sky & appear to be placed on the 2E pan European beam. Many of these were previously weaker in many locations in Spain.

In Costa Blanca South - 11836 H which is part of the Sky movies package, this was very weak and needed a 1.8 / 1.9 metre dish & still not 100% stable. This morning we scanned in these channels on a 1.1 metre dish with good signal strength.

11758 H was also difficult to receive and has the (Sky) HD versions ITV 2, 3 & 4 and also now scanned in on a 1.1 metre dish - previously 1.8 / 1.9 required in CBS.

All of the above is positive news for UK TV for those using a Sky UK package, they are likely to find that all of the problem 2A channels are o.k.

This is not the overall indicator as this is the pan european beam, not the UK 2E spot beam, which is where the UK terrestrial channels will be.

We will report on further changes as they come in.

Full channel / frequency list below, courtesy of Lyngsat.

Code:
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html
    ASTRA 2A CHANNELS MOVED TO ASTRA 2E
    The migration of channels to the new Astra 2E European beam began last night at 2am. The first to be switched were those on the near-end-of-life 2A satellite. Reports across Europe indicate much improved reception in Spain, The Canaries, Italy and some eastern parts of Europe. The losers appear to be Cyprus, northern Finland and the eastern Mediterranean. An unexpected bonus is that the default transponder 11778, which all Sky boxes measure when a "signal test" is carried out, is much stronger in Spain. This means an end to special measures to enter an alternative transponder, and episodes of "no signal" after a power cut, common in Costa Blanca and Madrid. Expect more changes tonight and over coming nights.
    Notable is the fact that Sky paid-for channels, including ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD, are stronger in Spain than before, putting to an end the rumour started by IPTV sellers that "Sky will be lost in all of Spain".
    You still need a subscription and a Sky box to view ITV 2,3,4 HD, as before. ITV ONE HD will be on the UK spot beam, yet to be activated, as will all other BBC & ITV services.
    A provisional list of channels moved last night:
    MTV Live HD, Lifetime HD, Sky Sports 2/1/3/4 in Pubs
    Sky Movies Box Office, Disney XD UK HD, Animal Planet Europe HD
    ITV 2/3/4 HD
    Sky Movies Action & Adventure, Sky Movies Comedy, Sky Movies Sci-Fi & Horror, Sky Select UK, Sky Disney, Sky Movies Family, Sky Movies Premiere/Sky Anytime A, Sky Movies Premiere +1/Sky Anytime B,
    Sky Movies Crime & Thriller, Sky Movies Drama & Romance, Sky Movies 007, British Eurosport HD
    Fox UK HD, Sky Arts 2 HD, British Eurosport 2 HD
    Sky Atlantic HD UK +1, Sky Movies Family HD, Sky Movies Premiere HD, Sky Movies Crime & Thriller HD
    Sky Movies Select HD, Universal Channel UK, Sky On Demand HD 3
    Dave UK HD, Alibi HD, E! UK HD, Sky 3DTV, Sky Arts 1, Sky News HD
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (06-02-14),mrtrabzon (05-02-14)

Title
    Thanks
    This is good news for 28°e satellite reception in France and nearby countries.

Contrary to the original information it appears a 60cm or zone2 Ѕky dish will continue to easily receive all BBC, ITV, Freesat, Ѕky, etc channels.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timofee View Post
    This is good news for 28°e satellite reception in France and nearby countries.

Contrary to the original information it appears a 60cm or zone2 Ѕky dish will continue to easily receive all BBC, ITV, Freesat, Ѕky, etc channels.

Don't count your chickens just yet
    Looks like only pay TV channels have moved at this time (to the widebeam?), I'm guessing the FTA (freeview) channels will move to the spotbeam next.
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I guess we'll find out in the morning

Code:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item25.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The BBC
    The BBC’s services to Sky and Freesat homes are carried on six transponders on satellites operated by SES Astra located at 28.2°East.

In February 2012, one of these satellites (Astra 2D) was retired and BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is shortly to be moved to its permanent position at 19°East, so the affected BBC services will be transferring to a new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East).

This will take place in the early hours of Thursday 6th February 2014. Care has been taken to ensure the minimum of impact to UK viewers both during and after the change, such that no viewer actions should be required.

A small number of channels are unaffected by the change. These are on the multiplex “DSAT 8” which is carried on Astra 2F (also at 28.2°East). These are BBC ONE Scotland HD, BBC ONE Wales HD, BBC FOUR HD, BBC NEWS HD, CBeebies HD.

Generally the new transponder will improve reception in the South East of England, the north eastern coast of East Anglia, the North East of Scotland and the Shetland Isles.
    BBC MOVE IS TONIGHT
    The planned BBC channel migration tonight will be around 2am. It will, most likely, be as big an event for British expats since the switch to Astra 2D in 2003.
    In that year, the BBC freed itself from Sky's encryption contract. It began to broadcast free to air, with a much tighter footprint, from Astra 2D. The removal of Sky's encryption reportedly saved the BBC £85 million. The BBC, along with other UK broadcasters, has repeatedly stated its intention to retrict the overspill of satellite signals into mainland Europe.
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

irishchris (05-02-14),Mr. Mister (06-02-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast