Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Next receiver? Dreambox or no?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Next receiver? Dreambox or no?

Hi - I thought id play devils advocate....

Im in the middle of updating receivers in my house....im selling all my SD based receivers. 2x db600's and 2x 7025's. I took the jump a couple of years ago and bought a vuduo2. Its been brilliant. Ive used it mainly on 28.2 and over the time ive had it, its got better and better mainly due to the Vix team. Ive updated it with a duo2 and that's just as good if not better.

So, the question is, is the dreambox too highly priced.? im looking at a 7020hd and I don't mind pulling the trigger and getting one if im going to get the longevity out of it. Pros from what I can see are....

1. Multiboot. I love the Barry Allen software and all that it does - means you can play around with images and keep a stable one for general usage. Always used this on all of my DB's. Something which the vu doesn't do (although I think its experimental at the moment)
    2. Usage. While the Vu is on a fixed system the db will be on a 1m motorised system. The vu with the vix software seems to be more a-tuned to 28.2 usage (which is fine) and will continue to keep me as a regular buyer of VU stuff.
    3. Longevity. DB's seem to last a very long time....just updated my 7025 before it left me with new images...they seem to be well supported across the board...

Con's

1. Expensive, very expensive!
    2. As there has been an explosion of enigma 2 boxes in the last couple of years they don't seem to be as exclusive as they were...maybe that's just me though.

As I say its really more of a mess around experimental learning tool for me. If anyone has any opinions id love to hear them especially 7020 owners and their opinions. It would be nice to hear someones review of the box now theyre established. I can read a review on the net but that will just give me a spec and a walkthrough of the hardware. Id like to hear from people that are using new images that have enabled new functionality - that kind of thing. A case in point would be the LT Team images - first time I used one of those on my 7025 it was like a new box....new interface/skin, tools, downloads from the remote...that kind of stuff.

Be nice to hear from people big up the Dreamboxes...!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can backup a whloe image and reflash straight away on most E2 images.

ViX as well as other images are not geared to 28.2 only.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    My opinion and i'm talking as a DM owner too ( still have the DM7020 I bought well over 10 years ago as well as a DM600 ).

Get rid of the DMM's, their support is dwindling every day due to them taking their image closed source, great reliable hardware means nothing if there is no decent image support. as for ViX being primarily geared towards 28.2 east, thats far from correct, ViX is a truly universal image and works just as well with a motorized dish as it does a sky dish.

multiboot / barryallen in my opinion is worthless when you can backup a image and reflash a full fresh image in less than 2 minutes.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

tappari (22-01-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks.....its just that I like the convenience of storing images alongside each other...sounds like another vu then.....

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    there is also something like multiboot for Duo but I think not so universal as on the dreams. BlackHole (VU image) has meoboot included. I do not know how stable it is and which images work in meoboot but for a play box it might be worth a try. Personally I did not test it and I would not test it on my main receiver.

DMM always build interesting boxes and gave good support but in the last 2 years they are far behind in the hardware and I would also said that they are behind in the software thanks to PLi, OE-alliance and last but not least ViX.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeah - this is my general outlook on them....Dream used to be the leaders but now it seems theyre falling behind - from a software point of view and also a pricing point of view....I could justify the expense if there was something they did that the others didn't, or, if there was image support that the others didn't have I think ill go for a solo 2 - the duo 2 ive got is really nice. And, ironically its because of the things that Dream don't have:

Decent pricing
    Good image support
    up to date hardware

(On that last note I cant understand for the life of me why its taken until now to get a gigabit network card in a receiver!)
    Last edited by Comfysofa; 22-01-14 at 09:54.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think the DM 8000 would be a shining reason of why DM are loosing out....

Dated hardware
    Extortionate pricing (you would have thought after all these years they would have dropped the price...)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfysofa View Post
    (On that last note I cant understand for the life of me why its taken until now to get a gigabit network card in a receiver!)
    Or even USB 3

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeah - itll be another 5 years before you see that appear...!

Title
    Thanks
    How do i do this?

multiboot / barryallen in my opinion is worthless when you can backup a image and reflash a full fresh image in less than 2 minutes.[/QUOTE]