Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: BSkyB: How much for Premier League rights?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

BSkyB: How much for Premier League rights?

Asked what are the three most important offerings of any pay-TV company and the response is usually, 1, premium sport, 2, premium sport and 3, premium sport. And the costs of supplying that premium content is the current headache for BSkyB faced with an extremely deep-pocketed challenger in the shape of BT Sport.

The cash needed to pay for the upcoming English Premier League (EPL) series of three season’s TV coverage is going to be huge. A report from bankers Morgan Stanley says that BT Sport could spend £1 billion per annum on the EPL and still not be too out of pocket.

With this sort of sum already being talked about the bigger question is where does this leave BSkyB, which has been the – more or less – natural TV home for EPL for years and years?

The bank says: “To preserve its premium content position a successful bid for the EPL rights looks necessary, but consensus market forecasts of a 15-25 per cent increase (£114 -190 million per annum) in EPL costs for 2016/17 look scarcely enough. The extra packages on offer make this particularly the case. Failure to recapture a majority of the rights would be seen as threatening Sky’s premium content position and its perceived positioning in the pay TV market. It’s potentially another ‘no win’ situation.”

Worse, at least for BSkyB-watchers, is that the auction is at least one year away and yet already the market is ultra-sensitive to the impact on Sky from the BT threat. The auction, when it actually takes place, covers the three years from the 2016-17 season. BT presently has two packages in the Saturday lunchtime slot for £246 minimum per annum. Unlike in 2012, a single bidder will be permitted to buy all the packages this time, suggesting that records will be broken whoever wins the auction.

And should BSkyB ‘win’ the auction it might not make much difference to its subscribers, other than maintaining its existing position. “A victory in the next EPL auction would not be seen as a big driver of extra customers for Sky but rather as a means of preserving the existing subscriber base. It would though drive extra cost,” says the bank. “If Sky paid 30 per cent more for similar EPL rights in 2016/17 that would drive a further 8 per cent fall in forecasts (and a total 12 per cent fall in EPS in that year). If it paid 30 per cent inflation and bought all the packages, the £434 million extra cost would mean a 32 per cent fall in our forecast. Sky shareholders may have to accustom themselves to the new but undesirable paradigm of a UK pay TV duopoly.”

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2014/01/14/bskyb-how-much-for-premier-league-rights/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (14-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    I would love to see Sly's monopoly broken - although it might mean that we need 3 subscriptions to watch EPL. It could be possible that Sly, BT and another such as Al Jazeera (who have shown a willingness to get into the market) win rights.

But who knows, only time will tell.. One thing is for sure - the players and clubs are the winners as the extra revenue will end up in their already deep pockets.

Title
    Thanks
    So we are essentially moving towards a multi-subscription based system if we want to view EPL in its (currently available) entirety.

So this will essentially mean two or more parties (BT, Sky and ?)having to profit and the end user having to sign up to several services.

This has only one outcome for the end user: more expense and a worsened or fragmented user experience through potentially diluted coverage and/or service.

I'm all for market equality, and it's ironic this debacle includes two companies who have monopolised their respective markets,

But ultimately...

What will it cost me?

Will I get a better service?

Probably not. Just my two cents folks.