Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashexpander on network mounted box

Title
    Thanks

Flashexpander on network mounted box

Would it be possible to mount a usb stick on one enigma2 box to be used to expand the flash on another using the plugin flashexpander?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Are you mad? Using a flash expander is not a good idea using a local drive never mind over a network
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Why is flash expander not a good idea? I don't know much about it but as its in the vix feeds so I assume its not harmful

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Its not harmful but if the usb stick is not found or the mounts change then the box wont boot and a reflash will probably be required. From memory it wont allow to use network shares anyway.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

seame (13-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    If I can't network mount it I may have to open a for sale thread!

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Can't remember you mentioning anything about flash expander on your previous thread...

I'd previously stated about using a hdd from a network box for the hdd of another box. Basically, to stop the need of an internal hdd just for recording and playback etc...

You could mount a hdd, usb stick etc in this manner. But as stated above, flash expander wouldn't really be of any use over network. Why are you thinking of doing this anyway?
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why not use a usb stick if its so important to use flash expander?

Title
    Thanks
    @Ronand The box is a dm500hd so it has no usb ports.

@Pooface I wasn't thinking of doing it until I seen your post in the other thread and that gave me the idea. The box is currently in a friends house not being used so I thought this might help me make use of it. The 2.0 images are bigger than the 1.6 and the 500hd's flash is only 50 or 60mb.

I don't want to use an external hdd as I had one connected to it before and it was quite noisy + the box would be on a small shelf in the bedroom which doesn't have much space left on it.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seame View Post
    @Ronand The box is a dm500hd so it has no usb ports.

@Pooface I wasn't thinking of doing it until I seen your post in the other thread and that gave me the idea. The box is currently in a friends house not being used so I thought this might help me make use of it. The 2.0 images are bigger than the 1.6 and the 500hd's flash is only 50 or 60mb.

I don't want to use an external hdd as I had one connected to it before and it was quite noisy + the box would be on a small shelf in the bedroom which doesn't have much space left on it.
    Which type of external hdd did you use? Try one of the self-powered 2.5" hdds... I've found that these usually provide less noise than the 3.5" desktop hdd's that require an external power plug...
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

seame (13-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    It was a 3.5" hdd with external power supply. Self powered hdd? never heard of it before, off to google it.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    It was a 3.5" hdd with external power supply. Self powered hdd? never heard of it before, off to google it.
    I mean something like this:

Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-1TB-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007UOW818
    They still make a little noise (as all hdd's do), but I find that since they are not using a fan and require external power, are usually quieter .. especially if you place them on a piece of fabric...
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

seame (13-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Ah I know what you mean now but unfortunately the box only has an esata connection which won't work with those HDDs

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I would still try an oe2.0 image before selling the box - the 64Mb flash should be enough for a basic install if you can live without picons etc.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Ah I know what you mean now but unfortunately the box only has an esata connection which won't work with those HDDs
    Yeah, I just had a look... WTF! Can't believe that dmm wouldn't include a usb port!

Having a quick look around, if you want to hack about with the box, it looks possible to add a usb port! But, I don't think I'd fancy having a go at that myself just yet... lol
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    Thanks
    I couldn't believe it myself, no usb or no facility for an internal hdd. I got excited when it was released and just jumped in, I knew there was no usb ports but thought I could just pop a hdd inside.

I considered moding too but I'd end up wrecking it.

A decent oe2.0 image for it is around 54-58mb so I assume it would run slow without any plugins added.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast