Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Widespread Foxtel service theft uncovered

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Widespread Foxtel service theft uncovered

A Sydney man has been charged as part of a joint investigation by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Foxtel into the widespread theft of the pay-TV operator’s services.

The 29-year-old man was arrested after it was discovered he had been operating an illegal card-sharing network from a business premises in the Sydney suburb of Cartwright.

It is alleged this network had been providing around 8,000 customers Australia-wide with unauthorised access to subscription television content without a legitimately-purchased subscription.

Following a period of ongoing liaison with Foxtel, the AFP conducted search warrants at a private residence and a business premises on November 1st 2013, where the man was arrested and a number of decoders and smartcards were seized.

He has been charged with five copyright offences and is scheduled to appear at Liverpool Local Court Tuesday December 17th.

AFP Sydney Office Manager Ray Johnson said the arrest and charges serve as a strong reminder that intellectual property crime is not a victimless crime. “This investigation has successfully disrupted a network which has been unlawfully providing access to services at the cost of honest customers who legitimately pay for them,” stated Commander Johnson.

“Criminal activity such as this costs consumers – who may have to pay higher fees to absorb losses and the cost of theft-prevention measures – as well as retailers and individual businesses every year in Australia and across the globe.”

The maximum penalty for such an offence is five years imprisonment.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2013/12/17/widespread-foxtel-service-theft-uncovered/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

allanapp (17-12-13),Mr. Mister (17-12-13),Sicilian (17-12-13),stick50jr (17-12-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thought Cs had been combated in Australia? Jesus 8000 clients is a monster. Having said that the UK market is probably just as big, especially through these hard times! !!
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me