Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Bloomin Weather

calvinx1966

Bloomin Weather

Hi All

Bloomin weather has just farked up my week old motorized system !!!

I put my motorized 1.1m dish up on the 30th of November. Due to the orientation of my house it "was" mounted on a K mount on the gable looking over the gutter but still under the upper roof line.

We have had major weather up here in Northeast Scotland, in the last few days so I was concerned about it, I'm 25 miles west of Aberdeen.

Wife sends me a message on facebook "i cant watch the satellite system"

uh oh me thinks... bugger it will have moved

I tell her I will look at it when i get home, It dark by the time i get here, I check the box no lock on 28.2 so i troop out with a torch and instantly look up to see which way the dish is pointing.

Only to find no bloody dish there !!! i look downwards and then i get

The gusting wind has been so strong it ripped the upper K mount straight out of the wall, it pulled M10 Hilti expansion bolts straight out of the blockwork blowing the blocks out JESUS !!!!

The dish then rotated on the lower mount twisting it like cheese, the impending collision with the lower garage roof took out the dish (it looks like someone crumpled up tin foil!!), cracked the LNB open like an egg, and even worse cracked the dark motor's cast case(its all farked beyond repair) sat cable is stretched like a bow string so that's trashed too

A big Sigh later and Awww Fu** it... and I troop off into the house.. pee'd off would be an understatement

oh well I will task an engineer at work tomorrow with a special project of making me a new bracket for a dish that you could hang the titanic off, out of 50x50 box section and 10mm plate no more bought brackets.

Anyone know of a mesh style dish in the larger size ? or a good 1m aluminium one thats not going to wallop about in the wind

So new dish, motor LNB & cable on the shopping list !!!

I think I need a cider and to sit in the corner and sob quietly......

Title
    Thanks
    Omg sorry to hear that mate

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Bugger! I bet it's cold as well as dark up there. My mother came from Scotland, but now we're in a slightly different situation here in Northern Territory, Aust. Expecting 41 degrees C today but it does get a bit windy during the tropical cyclone season (destroyed Darwin in 1974). We typically use quite heavy mounts onto metal roofing. 'Unistrut' feet, four stays and heavy galv steel tube main pole (90mm diam).

Good luck
    OpenVix:
    VU+Duo2 -- 2 x Twin internal DVB-S2 & DVB-C/T2, 2 x USB dual DVB-T (Avermedia Twinstar [AF9035], Hauppauge Nova-TD [Dib0700]) = 8 tuners
    VU+Duo4kse -- internal Sat FBC & twin DVB-C/T2, 2 x USB dual DVB-T Hauppauge Nova-TD [Dib0700]

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Unlucky mate - regarding the new mount brackets you are making be careful as its not unheard of for a dish mounted to a gable end to remove the gable itself in very high winds
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

calvinx1966
    Hi

Well I'm back up & running again after installing a complete outdoor motorized package

I used a 1m Gilbertini dish, a Inverto Black Ultra LNB & a HH100 STAB Italy Motor

The dish was a joy to install compared to the last one, as whoever designed it had obviously spent time up a ladder and knew what was required to make the install an easy one the design features were simple but effective, simple things like two long bolts used to adjust the dish angle with the heads on the bolts locked at their locating end so no spanner is required to hold them to tighten them with large wing nuts to tighten without the need again for a spanner, then stainless fasteners used throughout, the dish itself is powdercoated aluminium making it light to carry up a ladder.

The stab motor was a simple affair to install again with stainless fittings supplied as standard, and with stabs, setup it seemed to me to install faster than the dark motor.

The dish had a very clear degree scale on it which I set the angle of from the stab website, and between that and the scale on side of the motor, once this was input and the motor pointed to true south and telling it to go to Thor 0.8W I instantly got a lock at 96% & @ 28.2E I got a lock at 95% with NO adjustment required to the dish direction or angle, I faffed about for ages with the last setup.

This setup seemed to go together very quickly i feel it was because it was a better thought out package, but maybe i also understood the process a bit better this time.

But I can wholeheartedly recommend the combination I installed today

I personally found that when using Vix in the setup of the dish with usals and then in setup via the "goto x" it was very easy to test once you get your head around where you need to go in the menu's to get to the correct location to carry out what you are actually trying to achieve.

I might do a flow chart with required button press sequence and an explanation, as this was where i felt any guides while good, that they were lacking in that respect.
    Last edited by calvinx1966; 08-12-13 at 03:09.