Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can BT win BSkyB’s football prizes?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Can BT win BSkyB’s football prizes?

A report from banker Berenberg asks whether BT Sport can win BSkyB’s glittering prize, the upcoming auction for the English Premier League. “BT,” says the bank, “in buying exclusivity to UEFA’s Champions League and Europa League football coverage, has made a statement. While it is publicly happy to be seen as number two in the UK sports content arena, its actions suggest it has far loftier ambitions, which will have implications for the cost of rights in the next Premier League auction.”

The bank says: “We have looked at what being the main sports aggregator in the UK could mean for BT in terms of revenues. We calculate that up to £580 million per annum could be generated from wholesale, pubs and clubs and advertising, with some conservatism built into these estimates. But the real revenue opportunity is through subscriptions and subscriber wins: as the number one in sport, BT could drive close to an incremental £1.3 billion in net revenue per annum – and this is without ascribing any long-term benefits to churn. If we deduct from this the £300 million/£200 million per annum paid for the Champions League/ potential additional sports content/production costs, it would imply that BT can wash its face on £1.15 billion for Sky’s portion of the Premier League – equivalent to 50 per cent inflation on the £760 million per annum Sky currently pays for the rights.”

Last week, BSkyB’s CEO Jeremy Darroch hinted that sport was not the only attraction in Sky’s portfolio of attractions. The bank takes a different view, saying: “We believe that sports rights are crucial for the company. Whereas films are now ubiquitous, BSkyB’s exclusive sports rights render a subscription to Sky unavoidable for many sports fans. Were key rights to be lost, that ‘must-have’ quality would come under serious pressure. We note that BSkyB reportedly bid £500 million to maintain its Champions League rights, representing inflation of c100 per cent. This suggests it was very keen to keep the rights. We estimate that if BSkyB was to lose the bulk of its Premier League matches and become the second player in the market, its profitability would drop by 50 per cent versus our current estimates. We continue to believe that BSkyB will remain under considerable pressure from BT, both near- and long-term, and so we retain our Sell recommendation.”

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2013/11/26/can-bt-win-bskybs-football-prizes/

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (27-11-13),NAVSTER1 (29-11-13),Sicilian (27-11-13)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I think sky living in cuckoo land if they think people subscribe for the movies.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    I think sky living in cuckoo land if they think people subscribe for the movies.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    I certainly dont, I sub for the Discovery channels my self and the sport for those in the family who want it, movies are simply thrown in with the package but i can easily do without them as there all repeats any way.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (27-11-13)

Title
    Thanks
    BT getting NBA now is yet another kick to Sky's b**ls.
    Better Born Lucky Than Rich