Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vix......

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    i think all that is being said is when one gives their spare time to do something then, why do ppl have to rant and rave about it not being corretc or taking too long yes i know there is a responsability as i am a volunteer here too and when i was younger i used to partake in a government scheme called Millenium Volunteers where the aim was to get 200 hours volunteered in a year to get your award. i still hold the rcord of doing it in 3 months and it was all my spare after colledge time. but not once did anyone say to me oh thats taking too long or oh you got it wrong it was more to the point no worries mate just take your time.

All i'm saying is yes reposability is there as the developer but can ppl refrain from saying when is it releasing or is rubbish get you act together as did one user say [Sic banned him for 7 days] and things like that. all Andy would like is for ppl to either like it ot not like it thats an idividual choice of the end user. yes bug reporting is important but ripping into it in a bad way is wrong as its a volunteered labour of love and its like ripping into your most prised possetion. i bet you wont like that too
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ojustaboo

You need to stick the latest original image on the box, test it in terms of internet browsing/media player performance, and if you feel there is some lack of functionality and the box is not as advertised then contact the manufacturer regarding this - not the web forum of the providers of a homebrew image.

The whole 3rd party homebrew image "cottage industry" for these and other boxes is developed by hobbyists and is principally focussed on xxxxxx please refrain from talk of CS as that is not allow on this forum.
    Last edited by pooface; 23-11-10 at 15:30. Reason: text removed re cs

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Plus, there is a difference of beeing a noob, and needing someone to do everything for you... It's like doing most things in life. People can guide you what to do. But, when people don't listen to the help you give them, and turn round saying stuff like "it's not working because I can't do that", then how do they expect us to help them?

Think about your time volunteering with that website. If the people who wanted the changes done phoned you up and said "I want some changes made to the home page. Can you change it so that it looks how I want it to look", and that was all the information you received, and they kept calling you every day being really vague like that, how would you feel?

As Sic says, this site is designed to help people by being really simpleand offering that support. All we ask, is that people coming here respect that. If our attitudes have changed, then we're really sorry for that, and let us know where. We don't want it to change like that...

Also, in regards to the elitest about people asking when will it be done etc... Think about the latest HTC Mobile phones (Desire Z and Desire HD). The Desire Z was put on hold for over a month. There was no word from HTC when it would be made available, and a lot of blatent lies by them saying stuff like ("it's with the distributors, so you're waiting for them" was their favourite ). However, this is from a company who make a good profit on each phone. Also, like updates for xbox live etc, do people constantly phone microsoft and ask them when the updates are going to be there? No, Microsoft turn round, give people a date which is going to be a good few months away, knowing full well that the update might be ready weeks before that date... We prefer to just work on it, and then when it's ready, it'll be released.

I know this probably sounds like I'm being "elitest" at the mo, but I'm just trying to say things how they are.

As for the box being sold with the advertisement of being able to use VLC as a media player, and being able to browse the internet, if you read the text in the picture, it just says "Internet". No mention of internet browsing, even though the picture is misleading. Same with the VLC being misleading. Sorry that you had to find out about that the hard way. Although we are hoping that the avi support will be better in the future (actually, saying that, will have to give an avi a try with the new drivers and see how that goes...), but this is all reliant on the manufacturers.

One thing that we can say though... Be thankful you bought the vu+ box rather than an azbox. That one delivers on the media playing part, but fails miserably on being able to be used as a satellite receiver hehe.

We hope that you will continue to use these forums though, as you have been a good contributor in the past, and you knowledge has helped many others...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (23-11-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guff daddy View Post
    Ojustaboo

You need to stick the latest original image on the box, test it in terms of internet browsing/media player performance, and if you feel there is some lack of functionality and the box is not as advertised then contact the manufacturer regarding this - not the web forum of the providers of a homebrew image.
    very true mate and to add for ojustaboo the original image might be his best bet as all homebrew is based off that so if there is a problem with original then it will be a problem in homebrew image and then that will need to be reported to vuplus them selves
    Last edited by silverfox0786; 23-11-10 at 15:28.
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by guff daddy View Post
    Ojustaboo
    The whole 3rd party homebrew image "cottage industry" for these and other boxes is developed by hobbyists and is principally focussed on xxxxxx please refrain from talk of CS as that is not allow on this forum.
    Hmm, to be honest, not interested in card sharing in the slightest.

I brought this box because while it was more expensive than others, it seemed to be very customizable, hence pretty future proof and I know Linux very well.

Since buying the box, Sky offered me to come back for 12 months 1/2 price and it's been a plus that I can use the duo box with my card.

Text removed - pooface

I took this box to be good for lots of things such as you tube, pod casts etc etc etc. Text removed - pooface

In fact I think that by saying that, you are doing the homebrew community great harm.
    Last edited by pooface; 23-11-10 at 15:29. Reason: removed references to CS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

pooface (23-11-10)

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    very true mate and to add for ojustaboo the original image might be his best bet as all homebrew is based off that so if there is a problem with original then it will be a problem in homebrew image and then that will need to be reported to vuplus them selves
    Vix is miles better than the default image (unless it's changed remarkably since I last tried it). The audio/pause/resume was my biggest gripe which vix seems to be the only image that has managed to sort it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy playing around with images, I was just giving the history and thought behind my purchase to try and show how I can see why others are getting frustrated to the point they take it out on the wrong people.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

bassethound (23-11-10),pooface (23-11-10),Sicilian (23-11-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Any more talk on card sharing, and this thread will be closed... Please keep talk about this away from the forum...

As Ojustaboo said, that is not the whole point of linux boxes, and is not the point of this discussion. Posts edited to remove the discussion...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

bassethound (23-11-10),Sicilian (23-11-10)

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Plus, there is a difference of beeing a noob, and needing someone to do everything for you... It's like doing most things in life. People can guide you what to do. But, when people don't listen to the help you give them, and turn round saying stuff like "it's not working because I can't do that", then how do they expect us to help them?
    Yep, I do understand exactly what you mean

As Sic says, this site is designed to help people by being really simpleand offering that support. All we ask, is that people coming here respect that. If our attitudes have changed, then we're really sorry for that, and let us know where. We don't want it to change like that...
    Maybe I'm just having a couple of bad days or reading the wrong few threads. I understand the annoyance of someone seriously saying "is it ready yet" or "it's crap" and I haven't got time for such people myself.

It just seemed to me that in a few threads, people were genuinely seeking advice on upcoming releases and were being shot down. Maybe I'm reading too much into the replies.

As for the box being sold with the advertisement of being able to use VLC as a media player, and being able to browse the internet, if you read the text in the picture, it just says "Internet". No mention of internet browsing, even though the picture is misleading. Same with the VLC being misleading. Sorry that you had to find out about that the hard way. Although we are hoping that the avi support will be better in the future (actually, saying that, will have to give an avi a try with the new drivers and see how that goes...), but this is all reliant on the manufacturers.
    Yep I fully understand that. I also fully understand it's a new(ish) box and given time things will only get better. Many times in my life I've been the first to adopt new technology and am well aware of the risks/pitfalls of doing so.

Again was simply relating what happened to me, to show how others not used to this sort of thing are probably feeling and why such people are failing to realise exactly how the 3rd party scene works

One thing that we can say though... Be thankful you bought the vu+ box rather than an azbox. That one delivers on the media playing part, but fails miserably on being able to be used as a satellite receiver hehe.
    I love my box, would not want to go back to using say my Sky box after the Duo.

Just had too many glitches over the past few days so like others, the sooner an update comes the better

Wouldn't be so bad if there was consistency with the glitches, but there isn't. For instance at around 11 am today, pic went off, vix radio screen showed and crossepg did some sort of import/update. Went into setup and it's correctly set to update at 4am.

That's the sort of oddball random thing that suddenly happens out of the blue, usually at a crucial time when my wife's trying to watch something

We hope that you will continue to use these forums though, as you have been a good contributor in the past, and you knowledge has helped many others...
    I don't intend going anywhere and I hope Vix continues to develop into one of the best images there is.

Again I meant no offence by my post, was just trying to play devils advocate into how others are feeling.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

andyblac (03-12-10),pooface (23-11-10),Sicilian (23-11-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    "it's not working because I can't do that", ...
    Glad Gillian mcKeith hasn’t got a VUPlus

is there a new image commin
    Last edited by hummer66; 23-11-10 at 16:27.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    @Ojustaboo

i must say you are a very rare creature indeed. it is exceptionally rare to come across some one new to this hobby that takes the time to research things before jumping in head first .
    The vast majority of people are as i term them the "pub gang". those are the people who hear from a mate down the pub of a magical satellite box that once plugged in can get every channel ever transmitted for free.

i do agree with you to a point about the limitations of some of the stated features by the manufacturers and their deliberate vagueness in describing some of those features, but as already pointed out those short comings are the manufacturers and can in no way be attributed towards forums like this, who are run for and by hobbyists and enthusiasts.

i do hope you stay on the forum as it is indeed nice to see a person who can hold a rational discussion without resulting in a slagging match because they either cant come to grips with their machine and it's abilities or just plain cant operate it.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

andyblac (03-12-10),bassethound (23-11-10),pooface (23-11-10),scruff1963 (07-04-12),Sicilian (23-11-10)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12