Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vix......

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Vix......

my rant is about people who say things like why hasnt it got...why doesnt it do....and il tell you why

this image is excellent...is it the best? i think so who knows but that is irrelevant what matters is people spend lots of there own time dedicated to helping the rest of us and we should all be really grateful of that...yet as soon as a new image or update is released its why can't it clean my car or do my shopping etc...

really guys pack it in...we have a great box and amazing help from these guys and i dont care how many green screens or reboots we get...ask and they will always help you...so cum on...less moaning and more appreciation please....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satsatsat For This Useful Post:

fruitball (07-05-12),harryoz (24-10-10),Sicilian (23-10-10)

Title
    Thanks
    personal choice surely the whole idea of an enigma system? i loved dream elite but sadly now gone tried out vix not for me so leaning towards vti but none of them are totally glitch free its all compromise

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    your right...its about choice.....thats fine but its the way for me some people challenge a problem on an image, plug in or whatever like they aint happy and moaning...i dont get it....try using the box (or any box) without the use of any of these forums and see what happens...just be grateful is what im saying

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satsatsat View Post
    my rant is about people who say things like why hasnt it got...why doesnt it do....and il tell you why

this image is excellent...is it the best? i think so who knows but that is irrelevant what matters is people spend lots of there own time dedicated to helping the rest of us and we should all be really grateful of that...yet as soon as a new image or update is released its why can't it clean my car or do my shopping etc...

really guys pack it in...we have a great box and amazing help from these guys and i dont care how many green screens or reboots we get...ask and they will always help you...so cum on...less moaning and more appreciation please....
    your missing the point entirely, and i'll tell you why.

from my own point of view as a long time satellite nerd going back to 1989 in this hobby. i have owned dozens of boxes some closed source some like my dreamboxes open source. i am a nerd i dont give two hoots if my box has a epg, i dont care about picons or any thing else. i can however see how and why some others do care for those things.

a lot of people have come into this hobby directly from either cable or sky tv, especially in the last year for obvious reasons. these people are used to the professional feel of those products where millions of pounds are spent on the customer experience as much as the content aired.
    These users are paying several hundred pounds in cases for a box that just does not measure up to those experiences rightly or wrongly.

after all how happy would you be if you bought a car from your local dealer only to be told after the fact that the brakes come as a added extra or that the wheels turn right instead of left when you turn the wheel left, only to be told. hold on a minute you'll have to wait for some third party unpaid dev crew to come along and fix that for you that's not our problem.

like i said these things dont bother me as i have been using open source boxes for over 7 years so i know what to expect but others new to this hobby might not and you and your little spat aint gona make those expectations any less.
    Last edited by Larry-G; 24-10-10 at 13:38.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

jcgrumbles (25-11-10)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    a lot of people have come into this hobby directly from either cable or sky tv, especially in the last year for obvious reasons. these people are used to the professional feel of those products where millions of pounds are spent on the customer experience as much as the content aired.
    These users are paying several hundred pounds in cases for a box that just does not measure up to those experiences rightly or wrongly.
    One thing to note, users should NOT come along and expect any receiver act like a sky or cable receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    after all how happy would you be if you bought a car from your local dealer only to be told after the fact that the brakes come as a added extra or that the wheels turn right instead of left when you turn the wheel left, only to be told. hold on a minute you'll have to wait for some third party unpaid dev crew to come along and fix that for you that's not our problem.
    Personally I always do my research first, if people are stupid enough to spend often hundreds on a satellite receiver without doing their research first, more fool them.

Now I don't want to get drawn into a debate or argument here, but I feel all that satsatsat is saying is for peeps to stop moaning about stupid things and making unrealistic requests.

I remember one particular thread when a member made a post in a thread just expecting a member of the VIX team to reply to the thread. Remember we can't be expected to reply or answer to every thread. We're just normal peeps with normal live, we're just enthusiasts like everyone else here.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

SLOTH (23-11-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Well said Sic...

We all have our own lives. We're just doing this as a hobby and to help other members out...

Dunno where all this had come from, as haven't had chance to catch up, and just about to go out now (yes, we do have lives).

Will check back later, and hope all is good on these boards whilst I'm away :-)
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    @sicillain i absolutely agree with you on all points, i just dont think that bagging on the newbs to this hobby is the way to go.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    erm....sez he carefully

anyone buying a sat unit, thats not paug (pay as u go) ie a ruppy unit. (sky box or simular ekk)
    are reliant on the work of others, and unless caperble of writing up an image, thats all singing and danceing, to there requirements,
    and willing to share the image free of charge, should with respect, accept the images on offer

and of course, ask for the various refinments, but if the refinements can not be achieved, just except the fact

in the end, there are loads of units on the market, some with good surport, some not

for what ever reason, the buyer has for getting any non paug unit, its in the end, a hobby first and last

baz
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

12. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

pooface (25-10-10)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Well said Sic...

We all have our own lives. We're just doing this as a hobby and to help other members out...

Dunno where all this had come from, as haven't had chance to catch up, and just about to go out now (yes, we do have lives).

Will check back later, and hope all is good on these boards whilst I'm away :-)
    Found this posted on another forum some time ago in response to similar made me smile:

Tongue in cheek but some people do actually think like this

How dare you have the cheek to go out when you know I am sat here messing about with settings I know nothing about, you should be waiting for my next question cos Ive ****ed up, not listened to your advice in the first place, only followed half your instructions, only given half the information you asked for, then gone and messed with some other settings. As a result of you and your friends my box doesn't work and your thousands of hours put into development for free is shit. Absolutely disgraceful if you ask me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

scruff1963 (07-04-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    hahaha bloody hell...welldone maxwell i rest my case

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Max whoever wrote that has got some real cheek but hey it made me laugh
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Ojustaboo
    OK, lets look at things from my point of view.

I love tinkering with computers, been ruining Linux since I installed slack ware many years ago, so from that angle, I'm not bothered about having to tinker with the box to get it working in the slightest.

I've got a Thompson Sky HD box, upgraded the caps myself when power supply started playing up. Got such a good deal off of Virgin that I ditched Sky and went with them for a year.

Daughters now at Uni, son lives on his 360 so me and the wife had a good think and realised that 95% of what we watch is on FTA channels and the rest are repeats on the comedy channel etc, so decided to ditch pay TV altogether and go freeview.

Aerials crap so decided freesat was the way to go (installed a 80cm Triax when I brought my Sky HD box from ebay when they first came out). Had a look at various satellite web shops and their related forums and the idea of going motorised looked interesting.

Spent around £50 on a motor, £10 on a scaffolding pole and set it up using my PC's sat card.

Then I had a look at what I wanted. Was running out of space on my PS3 HD due to all the movies and TV programs stored on there, so wanted to take all the media off that and use it just for gaming.

I also wanted to be able to record while watching another channel.

So I do loads of research. I come across the Vuduo. I read up on it. It's not released yet. But looking at it, it seems to tick all the boxes.

Even now, if you go to any web shop including the sites sponsor and look at the Vuduo picture, it shows 'Internet' and 'VLC Player'.

Most people that have used VLC player know it will play virtually anything that's thrown at it. The description does not in anyway imply that the VLC player will only stream from a PC.

Anything with the Internet Explorer logo and the word "internet" would imply to almost anyone that you can browse the web with the device.

So I get the box home, install the HD, fire it up, scan for channels.

So far so good.

Then I start to play. No internet browser, hmm, sure there was an IE logo when I brought the box, checks, yes there is, must be a configuration problem. No, cant seem to find a browser plugin at all.

OK no worries, wouldn't be using it to browse the web much anyway. Lets transfer my media from my PS3 and PC.

OK lets fire up an avi file and show my wife how good it's been to spend £350 on this box.

Hmm, it's very very jerky. No worries, lets find VLC player and play it with that. Oh, I cant, even though it implied VLC player is included, it's a version that allows streaming from a PC, not a version that allows playing from the actual box.

Well hopefully it will improve in a few weeks with new driver support. Lets pause the avi, lets rewind, hmm, the rewind and fast forward buttons don't work. Hmm, I've un paused it but the sound hasn't started up again yet.

Time to look at the internet and find solutions.

What solution do I find, use the number buttons instead of the rewind/ff buttons as these don't work at the moment. AVI files don't play back properly, no one has any idea when this will be fixed.

I also notice that the picture quality isn't quite as good as the pic quality on my Freesat TV (Sony Bravia) that the duo is connected to.

I try every image out there, all have the same (or variations of the same) problems.

So I spent £350 on a box (got a discount code) when it was released.

I expected to have to play around with a lot of things, I had no problem with that. But I also expected a box that cost £400 to be able to do the basic things properly.

To be able to record 2 channels at once and play back something that's recorded without glitches.

To be able to playback avi files (and others) properly, pause/rewind etc.

To have a half decent epg on it (description says it has an epg). When I see the cheapo box my brother-in-law brought from somewhere like Argos and it has a nice simple to use EPG it's not too much to expect a proper working one on a £400 box.

To be wife friendly for the basic functions such as setting a record etc.

Maybe I expect too much from a £400 box that advertises its self with VLC and IE?

Then VIx is released. At last an image where things like the pause, ff/rw work (most of the time), my hopes are raised that at last someone who knows what they are doing is working on it. What's the first thing that springs to mind? To ask loads of questions regarding the fixing of other bugs that have been annoying me since day one.

But since it's release, personally and I mean no offence by it, I have noticed a change in this forum, in a way it seems to have become a little elitist, people coming down hard on anyone that dares ask a question about newer releases or advising people when they ask for help with other images to try VIx.

Every single week I'm getting problems with epg imports, pic breaking up, box hanging, remote stopping working etc etc etc. As are others.

Bearing in mind I am very technically minded, I am fast reaching the point where I simply want a box that can manage basic functionality without a constant hassle. Someone less technically minded will probably be on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Such people will naturally want to know when the box will be able to do what it was effectively advertised to do at the point of sale.

As I and others have said numerous times, we DO appreciate all the hard work, time and effort that has been put into the Vix image.

BUT, at the same time, if someone puts their hand up to volunteer then volunteer is what they do. When someone volunteers publicly to do something, responsibility and accountability does come with that.

I have volunteered numerous times in my life, ran a youth club for a few years. I couldn't refuse to answer questions because it interfered with my private life or not attend meetings because it interfered with my private life, I chose to volunteer, hence had to accept the responsibility that came with that.

On a different level, I volunteered and until recently looked after a website for a charity organization. Again it was all my own spare time. And again, often I had to attend the charity to discuss what was going on etc. Often I would be contacted sometimes late into the night asking me to urgently update it with various info.

Volunteering to do something that helps others, has to be give and take. It cant be simply "I'm volunteering, it's my time, so I'll answer what I want only when I want and you can like it or lump it". because if that is the volunteer person or groups attitude, then to be perfectly honest, the world would be a better place if such people didn't offer to help in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Andy at all. I do appreciate there needs to be a fair balance between volunteered time and personal life.

I'm just beginning to notice a tone from others in this forum that to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to dislike.
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 23-11-10 at 13:37. Reason: spelling

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

harryoz (06-02-11),tomthebomb1968 (24-11-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    When is this book being published LOL
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Got Technomate 7100 triple tuner 500gb hard drive for sale, cant fiddle with it but great for wathing tv
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    OK, lets look at things from my point of view.

I love tinkering with computers, been ruining Linux since I installed slack ware many years ago, so from that angle, I'm not bothered about having to tinker with the box to get it working in the slightest.

I've got a Thompson Sky HD box, upgraded the caps myself when power supply started playing up. Got such a good deal off of Virgin that I ditched Sky and went with them for a year.

Daughters now at Uni, son lives on his 360 so me and the wife had a good think and realised that 95% of what we watch is on FTA channels and the rest are repeats on the comedy channel etc, so decided to ditch pay TV altogether and go freeview.

Aerials crap so decided freesat was the way to go (installed a 80cm Triax when I brought my Sky HD box from ebay when they first came out). Had a look at various satellite web shops and their related forums and the idea of going motorised looked interesting.

Spent around £50 on a motor, £10 on a scaffolding pole and set it up using my PC's sat card.

Then I had a look at what I wanted. Was running out of space on my PS3 HD due to all the movies and TV programs stored on there, so wanted to take all the media off that and use it just for gaming.

I also wanted to be able to record while watching another channel.

So I do loads of research. I come across the Vuduo. I read up on it. It's not released yet. But looking at it, it seems to tick all the boxes.

Even now, if you go to any web shop including the sites sponsor and look at the Vuduo picture, it shows 'Internet' and 'VLC Player'.

Most people that have used VLC player know it will play virtually anything that's thrown at it. The description does not in anyway imply that the VLC player will only stream from a PC.

Anything with the Internet Explorer logo and the word "internet" would imply to almost anyone that you can browse the web with the device.

So I get the box home, install the HD, fire it up, scan for channels.

So far so good.

Then I start to play. No internet browser, hmm, sure there was an IE logo when I brought the box, checks, yes there is, must be a configuration problem. No, cant seem to find a browser plugin at all.

OK no worries, wouldn't be using it to browse the web much anyway. Lets transfer my media from my PS3 and PC.

OK lets fire up an avi file and show my wife how good it's been to spend £350 on this box.

Hmm, it's very very jerky. No worries, lets find VLC player and play it with that. Oh, I cant, even though it implied VLC player is included, it's a version that allows streaming from a PC, not a version that allows playing from the actual box.

Well hopefully it will improve in a few weeks with new driver support. Lets pause the avi, lets rewind, hmm, the rewind and fast forward buttons don't work. Hmm, I've un paused it but the sound hasn't started up again yet.

Time to look at the internet and find solutions.

What solution do I find, use the number buttons instead of the rewind/ff buttons as these don't work at the moment. AVI files don't play back properly, no one has any idea when this will be fixed.

I also notice that the picture quality isn't quite as good as the pic quality on my Freesat TV (Sony Bravia) that the duo is connected to.

I try every image out there, all have the same (or variations of the same) problems.

So I spent £350 on a box (got a discount code) when it was released.

I expected to have to play around with a lot of things, I had no problem with that. But I also expected a box that cost £400 to be able to do the basic things properly.

To be able to record 2 channels at once and play back something that's recorded without glitches.

To be able to playback avi files (and others) properly, pause/rewind etc.

To have a half decent epg on it (description says it has an epg). When I see the cheapo box my brother-in-law brought from somewhere like Argos and it has a nice simple to use EPG it's not too much to expect a proper working one on a £400 box.

To be wife friendly for the basic functions such as setting a record etc.

Maybe I expect too much from a £400 box that advertises its self with VLC and IE?

Then VIx is released. At last an image where things like the pause, ff/rw work (most of the time), my hopes are raised that at last someone who knows what they are doing is working on it. What's the first thing that springs to mind? To ask loads of questions regarding the fixing of other bugs that have been annoying me since day one.

But since it's release, personally and I mean no offence by it, I have noticed a change in this forum, in a way it seems to have become a little elitist, people coming down hard on anyone that dares ask a question about newer releases or advising people when they ask for help with other images to try VIx.

Every single week I'm getting problems with epg imports, pic breaking up, box hanging, remote stopping working etc etc etc. As are others.

Bearing in mind I am very technically minded, I am fast reaching the point where I simply want a box that can manage basic functionality without a constant hassle. Someone less technically minded will probably be on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Such people will naturally want to know when the box will be able to do what it was effectively advertised to do at the point of sale.

As I and others have said numerous times, we DO appreciate all the hard work, time and effort that has been put into the Vix image.

BUT, at the same time, if someone puts their hand up to volunteer then volunteer is what they do. When someone volunteers publicly to do something, responsibility and accountability does come with that.

I have volunteered numerous times in my life, ran a youth club for a few years. I couldn't refuse to answer questions because it interfered with my private life or not attend meetings because it interfered with my private life, I chose to volunteer, hence had to accept the responsibility that came with that.

On a different level, I volunteered and until recently looked after a website for a charity organization. Again it was all my own spare time. And again, often I had to attend the charity to discuss what was going on etc. Often I would be contacted sometimes late into the night asking me to urgently update it with various info.

Volunteering to do something that helps others, has to be give and take. It cant be simply "I'm volunteering, it's my time, so I'll answer what I want only when I want and you can like it or lump it". because if that is the volunteer person or groups attitude, then to be perfectly honest, the world would be a better place if such people didn't offer to help in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Andy at all. I do appreciate there needs to be a fair balance between volunteered time and personal life.

I'm just beginning to notice a tone from others in this forum that to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to dislike.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    I actually feel quite saddened to read the above. Ever since I started this forum I've tried to keep it as friendly as possible, a forum where new members wouldn't be afraid to post and ask a question. If you see a post where someone has come down hard on a member asking a question, send me a PM with a link and I'll deal with the issue personally. The only questions I'd ask members not is keep asking are things like 'when is the image going to get released?' or 'when is this going to get added?'. Members need to remember we all have our own private live's like everybody else, so we do ask for patience if you understand where I'm coming from. No way am I or any other member of the Admin / Mod team here trying to be 'elitist'.

I'm very, very sorry to read that you feel that way.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast