Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky claims live Ultra HD first

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Sky claims live Ultra HD first

As part of Sky’s on-going innovation in technology, on August 31st its research and development teams successfully broadcast the UK’s first ever live event in Ultra HD at its West London HQ. The broadcaster filmed Saturday’s 3pm Premier League football match between West Ham and Stoke City and transmitted the whole match live over satellite through its Studio facility.

All the content was directed live, produced and edited by Sky’s in-house football production and broadcast operations teams using four Sony F55 UHD cameras complemented by two UHD EVS servers for replay, and graphics. The production was done from a purpose built outside-broadcast truck in conjunction with Sony and Telegenic in line with current live HD broadcast techniques.

The content was delivered using Sky’s end-to-end broadcast platform and was shown on a Sony 84” Ultra HD TV at its headquarters in Isleworth.

Sky stresses that this was not a product launch, purely an early demonstration as part of Sky’s on-going tests to develop the broadcast requirements to meet any future demand for Ultra HD. Sky is currently working with others in the wider TV industry, including TV manufacturers and studios to assess the potential for Ultra HD.

The demonstration involved:

Sky’s football match Director, Tony Mills – who was responsible for capturing Sky’s first ever broadcasts of a live football match in both HD and 3D – oversaw the live outside-broadcast of West Ham vs. Stoke City.

Four Sony UHD cameras were used to capture the match, which was simultaneously broadcast from Telegenic’s outside broadcast truck, encoded as four synchronous full HD feeds by Ericsson over a Eutelsat transponder to its London’s HQ. It was then routed to its studios where the live feed was played out on a 84” Sony UHD screen which currently retail for £25,000 (55” is available in stores for £3,999 ). The picture was broadcast in Ultra High Definition 2160 X 3840 – four times the resolution of current HD and at 50 frames per second – double the current HD rate of 25 using the QFHD format of four full HD tiles to construct the full image.

After the event, a Sky Spokesperson said: “As you’d expect from Sky, we are constantly experimenting and evaluating new technologies which may help our customers get more enjoyment from the TV they love. As part of this research we have successfully broadcast a test event in Ultra HD. It’s yet another UK first for Sky. We will continue to test and learn so that we’re ready as and when the market for Ultra HD begins to develop.”

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2013/09/02/sky-claims-live-ultra-hd-first/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Sky still uses one of the lowest bitrates for HD accross europe - comes down to greed over quality. Can only guess what will have to suffer to get ultra HD.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    h265 is on the way so UHD will easily fit into 5-10MBit:-)))))))))))))

HD is nice but I see no sense in UHD for TV. If I want good quality in HD I watch a bluray.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seedys50 View Post
    Sky still uses one of the lowest bitrates for HD accross europe - comes down to greed over quality. Can only guess what will have to suffer to get ultra HD.

sky was once 20mbits+ for all hd channels until they changed the encoders to bring the bitrate down and squeeze more channels in.
    theres no way they could keep everyhting at 20mbits+ now with the amount of hd channels they have.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I assume Sky uses variable bitrates; if so bitrates don't say much.
    And even more: figures don't say much at all, your eyes will. As long as PQ is good (i.e. no quality loss is visual) there's no point in looking at figures.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    there certainly was/is a drop in quality when they changed encoders.

most people may not notice as theyve only had sky hd when using the new encoders.

i know very well about this as i used to cap sly hd in its high bitrate days.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB