Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky’s £9.99 NOW TV Box

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Sky’s £9.99 NOW TV Box

BSkyB is offering potentially millions of viewers the chance to convert their TV set into an Internet-connected ‘smart’ TV for under £10.00 (€11.60) with the launch of the NOW TV Box. The box bears witness to Sky’s investment in streaming device manufacturer Roku. In mid-November 2012, Anthony Wood, chief executive officer for Roku, revealed that BSkyB was working with Roku on a set-top box to distribute to subscribers its recently-launched NOW TV online TV service.

Available at nowtv.com, the compact and easy-to-use box connects a TV wirelessly to the Internet. Once connected, homes with the NOW TV box will enjoy convenient and contract-free access to BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, BBC News App and Sky News, plus NOW TV – offering instant access to Sky Sports and Sky Movies. They can also access other popular online services such as Facebook and Spotify – all delivered over broadband to the big screen TV. In due course, new content and apps will be added to the NOW TV Box.

BSkyB notes that despite the explosion in connected devices such as Sky set-top boxes, games consoles and connected TVs, there are still up to tens of millions of regular TVs in the UK that cannot currently connect to the Internet. It suggests that the NOW TV box provides an affordable and simple way for any broadband-connected home to join the online TV revolution.

Until now, unless receiving catch-up as part of a pay TV subscription, consumers have needed to pay tens or even hundreds of pounds to purchase Internet-streaming devices to watch catch-up TV on a regular TV. With the new NOW TV Box, for less than £10, customers can access the best in catch-up TV. They also have the opportunity to upgrade to access live sport and on demand movies from NOW TV.

Smaller than a pub beer mat, the NOW TV Box measures 84mm x 84mm x 24mm and can be up and running in minutes. “Simply plug the box into your TV set via the HDMI cable provided, connect to your wireless Internet connection and you’re away,” says Sky.

The box launches as new research from NOW TV reveals the nation’s ever-increasing appetite to watch what they want, when they want. Over two thirds of Brits have now taken advantage of on demand services on their main TV sets – whether via Smart TVs or other connected devices, with two in five of us streaming must-see shows or settling down to a movie on a weekly basis.

Over half the nation (56 per cent) use more traditional Internet-connected devices such as tablets, smartphones or laptops to access TV on demand whilst in the home. For these people, the NOW TV Box will offer a simple and affordable way to enjoy catch-up TV, live sport and on demand movies on the big screen.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV, comments: “Millions of people are switching on to the convenience and flexibility of on demand TV, choosing when and how they want to watch. Now there’s an easy and extremely affordable way to make every TV a ‘smart TV’. For under a tenner, the NOW TV Box offers the best terrestrial catch-up, plus pay-as-you-go access to must-see sport and the option to enjoy latest blockbuster movies on demand – all on the big screen. It’s also easy for anyone to use – simply plug in to your TV, connect to your WiFi and you’re away.”

NOW TV is already available on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, selected Android smartphones, Xbox, PS3, YouView and Roku.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2013/07/26/skys-9-99-now-tv-box/

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

giovetonante (02-08-13),Sicilian (30-07-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    have watched Sky streamed TV using the Sky app on XBOX360. Now this was on a 50Mbps UPC connection and the buffering was noticable. Also picture quality was nothing short of poor using the HDMI connection. There was no availability of any of the HD channels as they are not streamed. If the ROKU solution is going to provide similar shabby quality I question how successful it will be. Never mind the cost of £10 for 24 hours of shabby quality Sky Sports. Don't think so!!!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Mine arrived today and I signed up to a cheap offer of TV Now for £2.50 for the next six months.

PQ is pretty decent if you ask me.

Right little bargain and I managed to install Plex on it
    Extrend E5000 with Sundtek Cable Tuner & Octagon SF8 HD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (02-08-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    now you got me interested. you managed to do a plex install. suddenly i like this box a bit better. more details please

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well i ordered one for my self to have a play with, and for a tenner you cant exactly go wrong.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    but phoenix did you know that it was possible to install plex on this little baby. now that it is happy times for folks who like to play

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    not at the time i didn't, but after a quick Google search i do, so once this new toy is delivered i'll have a wee play with it and see what i can do with it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The £15 for six months Now TV and Live Sky Movies ends tomorrow night so you need to be quick.

Also, apparently you can sign up via Topcashback and get a tenner back making it a fiver for six months access.

I won't post the link but its out there but the offer ends tomorrow night so be quick.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Sky’s £9.99 NOW TV Box

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    The £15 for six months Now TV and Live Sky Movies ends tomorrow night so you need to be quick.

Also, apparently you can sign up via Topcashback and get a tenner back making it a fiver for six months access.

I won't post the link but its out there but the offer ends tomorrow night so be quick.
    That looks like no box supplied - just sub. Am I wrong? Why not post a link please if you have used it?
    Thanks

Tapatalker

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBalls View Post
    That looks like no box supplied - just sub. Am I wrong? Why not post a link please if you have used it?
    Thanks

Tapatalker
    Yes no box just sub but still an awesome deal.

I thought links were against forum rules but here it is

Code:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-tv-15-for-6-months-via-total-film-promotion-2-50-month-1615742?page=6#post18725090
    Mods apologies if this infringes forum rules

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Sky’s £9.99 NOW TV Box

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-...6#post18725090

Suppose it is a great deal - might get both and let the kids/nephews use it for awhile. More interested in getting plex on there (Sky will probable close that though) and getting feedback from Phoenix. Great prices all round.

Thanks for the link Midnight and the OP Phoenix.

Tapatalker

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Code:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-tv-15-for-6-months-via-total-film-promotion-2-50-month-1615742?page=6#post18725090

no links are not forbidden but we ask that they be coded. There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to these kinds of deals.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Sky’s £9.99 NOW TV Box

My bad so, sorry. Know links are allowed but not that they be coded. Thanks to you both - kids will be happy.

Tapatalker

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well i got my two today, hopefully i'll get some time to have a play with them while on my holls this next fortnight.

SIMPLES.