Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods on the site

Title
    Thanks

Mods on the site

Let me start by saying I love this site and every part of it and a massive thank you to all involved but why do amatures like myself and many more have to tip toe around mods Incase of a backlash everyday and for months I keep reading mod after mod after mod slating and putting down any stupid question or a misplaced word etc are we catching you on a bad day? Iv been shot down in the beginning not so much now and for a long long time but I just feel sorry for the newbs getting a rough deal! I know we're annoying I really do but everyone has to start somewhere

Not really a rant at all didn't no where to put it lol

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    I'd think all mods here are as helpful & as polite as possible.
    It can get a bit frustrating when people don't use the search button & ask the same questions over & over again.
    Also, when users don't take any advice/answers given to them.

Have you any thread in mind? if so, can you link to it please?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

irishchris (25-07-13),Larry-G (25-07-13),Mr. Mister (25-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    No no I don't mean it like that! Every mod means well and helps in anyway they can.its just they can be brash at times lol and to a newb I'm sure it can be off putting to even ask a question at times.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Mods on the site

I have to disagree. I am not a mod and started one year ago. I have never felt I had to tiptoe. What I do like about the site is that I have been pointed in the right direction numerous times, not given huge detailed responses - this suits me as I then know where to look for the info I need. I learn more and it sticks when I do the legwork.

After a year I am still a noob and still post some iffy things.

Since I got tapatalk I now read most posts and over the last 6 months I can understand why frustration kicks in - its not about noobs and seemingly silly questions we all ask - its about common sense. I've seen posters create multiple threads, high jack other threads, use info as their own and complain that things don't work as they think they should. So there are frustrations on both sides. And as many different nationalities use this forum the language used in replying to threads is direct and simple (could be seen as brash but that may be the readers interpretation, not the intent)

Hats off to the guys who give all their free time and effort on this site.

Tapatalker
    Last edited by BubbleBalls; 25-07-13 at 00:41.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BubbleBalls For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (25-07-13),Blu-ray (25-07-13),irishchris (25-07-13),judge (25-07-13),Larry-G (25-07-13),Mandanddeb (25-07-13),Mr. Mister (25-07-13),Sicilian (25-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    I did mention I love this site and I really really appreciate all the help iv had and still having on a day to day basis by reading the forum everyday etc it just reads harsh! At times and if I see it as harsh I'm sure others do (not all times btw) and not all mods I try n thank everyone who's helped me directly or indirectly, I can't talk I'm the most impatient person when trying to teach, but there are 1000's on here so I wouldn't no what that's like so hats off I'm just stating how it comes across

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    well i can't speak for other members of staff but i always try to be polite and courteous but thats not always possible.

The thing is like every one else here staff or not, we do what we do for free and totally out of our own time. I personally spend often 50 plus hours on the forum every week, helping new and old users alike. I have also created a series of Tutorials specifically written in such a way as not to intimidate new users but to help them every step of the way.

That said i am also human and as such i have human emotions and can sometimes bite when provoked, especially when a user ignores advice given multiple times or just totally disregards us by demanding help now instead of doing a bit of the leg work them selves as if they have a right to demand some one personally fixes their issues, but rather than lash out at forum members i tend to just walk away and ignore them although thats not always going to happen.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mandanddeb (25-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Can I add in a comical kind of way this is in no way meant to offend pheonix so please don't take offence
    When someone ignores or just decides to contradict your help I do have a little chuckle to myself thinking "ohhh pheonix is going to have him haha" and can't wait for your response haha.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandanddeb View Post
    I did mention I love this site and I really really appreciate all the help iv had and still having on a day to day basis by reading the forum everyday etc it just reads harsh! At times and if I see it as harsh I'm sure others do (not all times btw) and not all mods I try n thank everyone who's helped me directly or indirectly, I can't talk I'm the most impatient person when trying to teach, but there are 1000's on here so I wouldn't no what that's like so hats off I'm just stating how it comes across
    Another thing i'd like to say is that if you feel a member of staff has over stepped the mark you can always use the report button or PM one of the Admin staff ( us guys in red ), even if you think one of the Admins have over stepped PM one of the others. we genuinely will look into all complains and take action accordingly.

When Sicilian first created this site it was the number one rule he set out for the staff that they always be polite and courteous, and if that is starting to slip we can take action to remedy it. we want to help users thats what we are here for, not to make dicks of our selves, bringing the forum's good name into question by making it a "elite" boy's club like many others have become.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Can I add in a comical kind of way this is in no way meant to offend pheonix so please don't take offence
    When someone ignores or just decides to contradict your help I do have a little chuckle to myself thinking "ohhh pheonix is going to have him haha" and can't wait for your response haha.
    lol, i have been a mod and admin for close to 15 years on a number of sites, some long gone and closed up shop, some still around. At one point in time i'll admit i had a reputation as a bad tempered moron who would lash out at the simplest thing, those days are long gone now, but the hulk does show him self from time to time against my better judgement.

Thing is even in real life i cant stand people who blatantly sprout crap when i know better, especially if it's a topic i consider my self to be well versed in, and those are the times when i tend to bite back out of pure frustration, but as i said above if you ever feel any of us has stepped out of line ( my self included ) PM one of the admins and it will be sorted.

Just one more thing to add.

If i ever thought i my self was bringing the forum down i would gladly tender my resignation with sicilian as would most if not all of the staff we have.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Mods on the site

Phoenix takes his frustration out by creating roadkill😜

Another thing I notice is that some responses are sent through phones (mods have day jobs too) and when I use tapatalk my posts tend to short and to the point as typing on the phone is a little more time consuming.

All in all a brilliant site and I've been on a few - sites where one is instantly shot down by mods and users alike - sites that members think it's their own private club - this is as far from that as can be. I got a lifetime ban on one site because I disagreed with a mod - no insults, no bad language, banned for not being a blind follower (just an example of how some forums can be ego trips) but this site is available/accessible for all types of posters.

Tapatalker

Title
    Thanks
    No not all I never said anyone had done wrong just a little breathing deep from time to time, hey I made pheonix smile not all bad as come from this

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    funny how we all read/see things in different ways...
    I'd think pheonix is one of the most polite & helpful users on here & holds his cool pretty well.

As said above, a language barrier can also come into play at times.
    It can also be more helpful at times to give short & to the point answers, helps other users with similar issues also learn.

Ofcourse we can all get snappy at times, but to be honest, I think it rarely happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Thing is even in real life i cant stand people who blatantly sprout crap when i know better, especially if it's a topic i consider my self to be well versed in, and those are the times when i tend to bite back out of pure frustration, but as i said above if you ever feel any of us has stepped out of line ( my self included ) PM one of the admins and it will be sorted.
    LOL... I was in a well known electronics shop last week, buying a TV for my mother.
    Looked at a few TVs & as expected, sales guy approached me asking if he can help me.
    Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & ofcourse his answer was yes...

Went through some of the basics (I'm no expert on TVs but know what most functions should do) & the bloke was talking pure shite...
    I said it straight out to him & asked him if there was any other sales person who wouldnt talk shite... he wasn't too happy, my kids were pure embarrassed...
    He went off and got someone else, who was also talking crap, didn't even know how to use the remote to bring up Saorview EPG.

Walked out in frustration after also telling him he was useless...

At times, it can be hard not to do the same on here, but think we all manage pretty well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (25-07-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    LOL... I was in a well known electronics shop last week, buying a TV for my mother.
    Looked at a few TVs & as expected, sales guy approached me asking if he can help me.
    Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & ofcourse his answer was yes...

Went through some of the basics (I'm no expert on TVs but know what most functions should do) & the bloke was talking pure shite...
    I said it straight out to him & asked him if there was any other sales person who wouldnt talk shite... he wasn't too happy, my kids were pure embarrassed...
    He went off and got someone else, who was also talking crap, didn't even know how to use the remote to bring up Saorview EPG.

Walked out in frustration after also telling him he was useless...

At times, it can be hard not to do the same on here, but think we all manage pretty well.
    Reminds me of a similar experience a good few years ago now when the my father wanted to buy one of the early Samsung LCD tvs. All the test reports bigged up the picture quality but said the sound quality really let them down.

So we goes into our local electronics store. So the Sammy is on a wall mounte display and hooked up to a 5 channel amp and sounds and looks great. So I ask the nearest "Salesperson" if he can turn the amp off and let us hear the tv speakers. Might aswell have asked him if he could build me a rocket coz i think he may have had more chance with that task. First he was in poking round the back, then turns round and announces that the set is meant to be connected to an AV system and thats the only way to get sound. So i walks over and points out the speaker vents on the chasis and he says these are cooling vents. Now i am usually pretty restrained but for some reason that day I must have had the nasty head on and asked him how the hell he had got the job then quickly answered my own question. "You must have been fluent in bullshit during your interview too"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tomthebomb1968 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (25-07-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & of course his answer was yes...
    LOL.... asking just the question if 'overscan' can be turned off will usually show how knowledgeable a guy (M/F) is.

OK, back on topic!

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    We all make assumptions about what the person can follow/do. These could be wrong. IMO. it is up to the person to say that they do not understand. This will ensure that any further responses will be pitched lower.

I suppose the best thing about most forums, everyone with their different ways of communcating is able to help. If you think something could be said better, then chip in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast