Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Setup ability

Title
    Thanks

Setup ability

Hi, i'm thinking of upgrading to a better receiver now, for the last 10 years i have had technomates and spiderboxes, which have been easy to deal with, not being too technically minded i am concerned i won't be able to set it up, thinking of the solo2 box, would there be enough help on the forum to guide a birk through the setup? i would of course be buying from here.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scouse645 View Post
    Hi, i'm thinking of upgrading to a better receiver now, for the last 10 years i have had technomates and spiderboxes, which have been easy to deal with, not being too technically minded i am concerned i won't be able to set it up, thinking of the solo2 box, would there be enough help on the forum to guide a birk through the setup? i would of course be buying from here.
    It can be very daunting when setting one of these receivers up for the first time, but there are always a lot of very friendly people who will gladly walk you through the process of setting your receiver up and maintaining it, so no need to worry on that score.

we also have a good range of easy to follow tutorials for those who like to keep them handy until they are confident of doing it all from memory.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, sounds like i should get the help i need, i will have a look at the tutorials for now.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Here are just a few to get your teeth into for now.

How to flash a Vu+ Solo2
    Click Here

How to setup Wifi with ViX 3.0
    Click Here

How to restore flash a image in ViX 3.0 without a USB stick ( all receivers )
    Click Here

How to setup CrossEPG for Sky uk on ViX 3.0
    Click Here

How to make a image backup using ViX 3.0
    Click Here

Network Mounts the easy way with ViX 3.0.
    Click Here
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

scouse645 (03-07-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Setup ability

Scouse, you have 9 years head start on me. Last year I started from scratch, done some online research, and decided that a Vu+ Duo fitted my needs - two tuners for free Sat UK and a USB tuner for Irish channels. I read many sites. I remember getting that box (from Germany) and flashed a few images but after two or three days I stayed with VIX. There were a lot of helpful posts.

Anyway, you don't need to be a techie. I got setup before Phoenix started his tutorials (had to read many posts) but with phoenix's tutorials you will not go wrong. And you will get much pleasure from learning this yourself. From what i read the Solo2 is solid. Venton boxes go down well too. Duo2 is now on order. I also have a Gigablue Quad which is brilliant.

You will always get great support on this site so don't worry about support.

Tapatalker

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BubbleBalls For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (02-07-13),Mr. Mister (02-07-13),scouse645 (03-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all, i think i will take the plunge, plenty of help on here i reckon to get me goingi will order today, i have a question about the hard drive, i have a 1tb external HD i use on another box, would that be fine to connect to the solo2? or is it wise to have one fitted? Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Setup ability

Quote Originally Posted by scouse645 View Post
    Thanks all, i think i will take the plunge, plenty of help on here i reckon to get me goingi will order today, i have a question about the hard drive, i have a 1tb external HD i use on another box, would that be fine to connect to the solo2? or is it wise to have one fitted? Thanks.
    I believe the solo 2 uses a 2.5 hdd (though I did read that somebody modified one to allow 3.5 hdd)

2.5 is better for a Sat box - less noise and heat - and 5400 rpm is ideal. 7200 is overkill. If your current drive is 2.5 then you should have no problem using it.

My experience is that it's cheaper to buy an off the shelf 2.5 portable HDD, remove the casing and install yourself (if you want a new one) or if you have an old laptop you could use the hdd from that. Fitting is easy enough and you can generally get a picture tutorial on the interweb.

However, having re-read your post your external HDD should be ok.

Tapatalker
    Last edited by BubbleBalls; 04-07-13 at 15:49.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBalls View Post
    I believe the solo 2 uses a 2.5 hdd (though I did read that somebody modified one to allow 3.5 hdd)

2.5 is better for a Sat box - less noise and heat - and 5400 rpm is ideal. 7200 is overkill. If your current drive is 2.5 then you should have no problem using it.

My experience is that it's cheaper to buy an off the shelf 2.5 portable HDD, remove the casing and install yourself (if you want a new one) or if you have an old laptop you could use the hdd from that. Fitting is easy enough and you can generally get a picture tutorial on the interweb.

However, having re-read your post your external HDD should be ok.

Tapatalker
    Thanks, i'm glad you said that as i have ordered the box without HDD, it is a 2.5 which as you say should be fine, being delivered tomorrow, thats when the fun starts