Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: virtual server

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

virtual server

Hi All my son has asked me if he could have a server to play minecraft and techit with his friends , I was told the best way is with a virtual server as this wont affect my broadband or my pc , and my files and such like would be safe

question , how do I do it and is it correct what I have been told as virtual is the way to go , and what do I need to do ,

many thanks in advanced for any help on this
    Last edited by cwebb66; 02-06-13 at 01:40.
    Vu + Duo , 1.5tb hard drive installed , 1.2 channel master dish , 1224 jagger motor , alsat g box , quad lmb prime focus , diablo cam 2.3 , diablo wi-fi cam, te-rex cam, dragon cam, cas 3 , technomate 6900 super stb , manhattan stb

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwebb66 View Post
    Hi All my son has asked me if he could have a server to play minecraft and techit with his friends , I was told the best way is with a virtual server as this wont affect my broadband or my pc , and my files and such like would be safe

question , how do I do it and is it correct what I have been told as virtual is the way to go , and what do I need to do ,

many thanks in advanced for any help on this
    or looking at building a server for my son what do I need to do this ,
    Vu + Duo , 1.5tb hard drive installed , 1.2 channel master dish , 1224 jagger motor , alsat g box , quad lmb prime focus , diablo cam 2.3 , diablo wi-fi cam, te-rex cam, dragon cam, cas 3 , technomate 6900 super stb , manhattan stb

Title
    Thanks
    A vps would have a ongoing cost and bandwidth limitations, something on the lines of a HP ProLiant - MicroServer would do the job or look at a reconditioned server off ebay just ensure it uses SATA and not sccii for its drives as they can be pricey

of start with virtual box on a pc and see how you get on :-)

Title
    Thanks
    VMware Workstation might be worth a look.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    thanks both for your in put been looking at the HP one and a Fujitsu Scaleo

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    thanks both for your in put been looking at the HP one and a Fujitsu Scaleo
    gone for the hp one , looks like a big learning curve for me on the server set up and software with either Linux or windows my head is going to be puddled

Title
    Thanks
    gone for the hp one , looks like a big learning curve for me on the server set up and software with either Linux or windows my head is going to be puddled
    i would use ubuntu server it will more or less install its self, just answer the question, once it is installed put webadmin on it will make it easier to configure the server ther is also a Minecraft Server 1.5 plugin search the webadmin sight.

installing the mind craft server should be a copy and past from a guide on line to get started see here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to copex For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (10-12-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    thanks copex and drx for the help on this

Title
    Thanks
    it will be a learning curve, servers do not have desktop so you will have to get along with the comand line and ssh, webadmin will help you get a way from the CLI.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to copex For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (11-12-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    just a update installed whs 2011 still cant get it to work though , bit beyond my knowledge http://www.world-of-satellite.com/im.../confused1.gif

Title
    Thanks
    humm windows home server 2011 WHY did you do that.......? why dont you post what you are getting stuck on and im sure the windows guys will help out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to copex For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (25-12-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copex View Post
    humm windows home server 2011 WHY did you do that.......? why dont you post what you are getting stuck on and im sure the windows guys will help out.
    hi copex when I tried to put to put Ubuntu on the server it took out windows 7 and I could not get it to work again so windows home server came with it so I put it on and set it up , but the problem is it wont take my dyns , it talks me to go daddy and another one to get one .

thanks for your rely and help with this and a merry Christmas to you and your family

Title
    Thanks
    thanks for your rely and help with this and a merry Christmas to you and your family
    Same to you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to copex For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (25-12-13)