Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which anti-virus do you recommend?

Title
    Thanks
    I use avast on my iMac

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    at the moment i am using Norton as I got it free for 6 month with my New Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard and it seems to be working ok
    but after it runs out I will go back to using AGV Free as I already have a Full subscription for Malwarebytes and RegCure Pro

Title
    Thanks
    Avast free for me used it for years never had a prob

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    might try Avast again I also used it for years actually I ran AVG & Avast together but that all stopped with Vista

Title
    Thanks
    Avg + mailwarebytes hear carnt fault it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Avast FTW.

boysheff
    I've had loads of antivirus and the free one are not that great, on numerous occasions I would get the odd virus creeping in especially avg! avast is good at you can scan at start up of PC. Jasper sky was great until I got a key logger which could not be removed , that's when I used norton 360 and have done ever since with no issues to PC slowing down and catches everything. Also use malware bytes it's free and catches everything, can be used with any AV

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials and that's been great for me.

deleted
    A good anti-virus is the one you use, avast free should be good, but I removed it because it drove me crazy from the constant stream of pop-ups. At the moment I'm using Avira Free.
    MSE/Windows Defender are the baseline, wich means it's better than nothing and all the rest is better.

In the end they are all worthless if you cross paths with a virus they can't detect. And every virus maker tries to do just that, fooling all of them.

So if you wanna be safe switch to Linux, not because it is safer, but it's not a big target OS like Windows, if you can't switch, just use your brains and verify the source before executing anything, don't run with Administrator privileges, if you don't know why you're clicking "yes".

Also use for example Chrome/Adblock Plus wich can also warn you before entering a site that contains Malware/Viruses, better to prevent than to fix it later.

Also once infected, consider yourself compromised, the only solution to be 100% sure you are clean again is by doing a clean install. Why not using a well known virus as a decoy for your brand spanking new virus that no anti-virus knows yet?? Keeping the infected busy cleaning the known virus up and being happy about it, while the unknown virus can do it's thing.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials and that's been great for me.
    But tests show it to be only marginal sufficient and MS will stop support for it in a year or so.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    funnily enough as I was reading this thread my Malwarebites upgraded to Premium version 2.0.1.1004

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyblueys View Post
    I've been reading this thread with interest...and its amazing how the "mine's bigger than yours" comes bubbling out. Lol.

So here's mine. I've used most over the years
    Norton decent, did slow pc a bit though but a bugger to uninstall all features really gets in deep.
    Kaspersky personally didn't rate it. Couldn't get away with the software layout and functionality.
    Mcaffee again didn't really rate.
    Avg free found it easy to navigate and didn't have any problems.
    Microsoft security essentials that's what I'm using now and touch wood haven't had any problems.

....but my favourite and what I rate as the best is trend micro. I thought that was spot on. Easy to navigate and found every little beasty, that had found its way on to my PC. Also didn't slow system down at all. Would still use it but I'm tight and don't want to pay for security no more. But also once every do often I run their online free "house call" scan just for peace of mind. Google it.

One last thing I will add though is even the most basic anti virus software should be adequate for any PC............ As long as you don't visit any naughty sites or download any dodgy files e.g. torrents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    I use free Avast, and scan every now again with free Trend Micro. I tried others but they either slow down the PC,or are pretty rubbish.

Title
    Thanks
    Eset nod32 best by far IMO.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Eset nod32 best by far IMO.
    I haven't tried the home versions which are v7 iirc. But, the business versions are the ones I use (as get it free from work ), and they are the best imo (as I'm sure I stated before in this thread )
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123