Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Ferguson receiver advice or similar

Title
    Thanks

Ferguson receiver advice or similar

Hi all,im looking to get my parents a sat receiver,i currently have a vu solo,so i know how to setup one of these,but what are the ferguson 102,202 like(mainly due to cost i looked at this receiver) to use and to setup for sly.Is there enough advice about to setup and keep running without having to keep doing updates etc,as me dads patience is not the best,so more the less time it needs updates,messing with the better.
    Can i run mgcamd on it?
    Also whats the main difference between a linux box(my vu solo),and these type like the ferguson? what can it do or cannot do?

Thanks Olly.
    BCFC

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Olly,

Funnily enough, I have a friend in the same situation as you. To some things up:

From what I have seen of the box, it is your standard run of the mill sat box, no bells and whistles just does what it says. Think of it as a free view style box with HD and with the ability to load cccam and mgcamd.

In the support section for these stb's I've seen some people have compiled a full EPG which you download and put onto the box using a usb drive. There is no software updating etc required. Simple as that.

The fact that it is not an open source linux style box just means that what you see is what you get, no add on, firmware support through guys like VIX etc. Again it just does what is says on the box. Hassle free so your dads patience should be ok.

Check the sponsors website for more information.

I don't personally own any of the above but it is very similar to the openbox s11 etc which I do have.

In regards to my TM Twin OE and your VU Solo there is no real comparison as its like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.

Cheers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoe View Post

In regards to my TM Twin OE and your VU Solo there is no real comparison as its like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.

Cheers
    I wasn't comparing my twin with your vu solo, but those two against the Ferguson. Just to make that clear haha!

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers, I take it im in the Fiat then? lol

Thanks for the pointers,is it pretty easy to setup compared to a linux box?
    Does the epg you flash onto it last, as long as its loaded on,or do you have to update it?

OLLY
    BCFC

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    only messed with the furgy once,...it was ok..but not my cuppa, have you concider,d the bottom range giga blue units? ( full E2 unit, so fairly future proof )
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    only messed with the furgy once,...it was ok..but not my cuppa, have you concider,d the bottom range giga blue units? ( full E2 unit, so fairly future proof )
    Hi, no not really as its a gift for xmas and do not really want to spend that much,plus other things i have bought the parents,will be getting to expensive.
    BCFC

Title
    Thanks
    i have the 102e they are user friendly im sure using on in Europe is a joy , though setting up & updating the channel list is not straight forward, there is no EPG though sometimes you do get now and next. it ok for a second box, but if it was my main box it would have been sold by now.

i would go for a E2 box spend the extra and save your self a lot of hassle,

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Re: Ferguson receiver advice or similar

I got the 202 for my brother a couple months back and while I actually do like The box, the lack of a EPG and easy to use channel list organiser mean its not some thing i would use daily. For my brother it's a great box but not for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Perhaps i should just be extra nice this xmas then and get the Gigablue!
    I take it there is plenty of support for this box,also from vix?
    Anything i would need to know before buying one,and i guess will be almost the same to flash and upload to as my vu solo,cheers all.Olly
    BCFC

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    There is a VIX image out for the BOX, I bought one and it is a really fast box.

There is net talk of the lan becoming a GB one so plenty to look forward to.

It will only take an internal 2.5HDD so buy a slim one.

It is actually a lot easier to flash than the SOLO and ET5K no need to hold any buttons.

the VFD is alsi quite nice - not as big as the Ultimo but its colour and can display PICONS

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoe View Post
    Hi Olly,

In the support section for these stb's I've seen some people have compiled a full EPG which you download and put onto the box using a usb drive. There is no software updating etc required. Simple as that.
    Hi Olly, when I said users have compiled a full EPG I actually meant channel list. As copex and phoenix pointed out you only get now and next and when that doesn't show you generally have to switch the box on and off.

For the hassle free side I'd maybe look at the Technomate TM-Single Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Single Tuner Satellite Receiver on the sponsors website. It's double the money and is supported by Vix but is a very good first box (main use) let alone second for the price. Then again, GigaBlue is also mentioned which i'm not too familiar with but the guys know what they are on about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdoe For This Useful Post:

olly (18-12-12)