Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Freddie Starr arrested in Jimmy Savile abuse inquiry

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts

Freddie Starr arrested in Jimmy Savile abuse inquiry

_63869821_63866906.jpg

Entertainer Freddie Starr has been arrested in the police inquiry into sex abuse claims against Jimmy Savile.

Mr Starr was arrested in Warwickshire by Operation Yewtree officers on suspicion of sexual offences and has been taken into police custody locally.

He has denied claims he groped a girl of 14 while in a room with Savile.

Meanwhile, an independent review into BBC Newsnight's dropping of a programme about the allegations against Savile will report later this month.

Operation Yewtree is a Scotland Yard criminal inquiry into sexual abuse claims.

The Metropolitan Police said officers arrested a man in his 60s, from Warwickshire, at 17:45 GMT in connection with the investigation.

Police said the individual fell under the strand of the investigation termed "Savile and others".

On Sunday, ex-pop star Gary Glitter was arrested and bailed after being questioned as part of the inquiry.

Glitter, 68, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was arrested at home and questioned at a London police station before being released on bail until mid-December.

Editorial decision
    The independent review by ex-Sky News boss Nick Pollard will seek to establish whether there were any "failings" in the decision to drop the Newsnight investigation.

The Pollard Review, will also look at the BBC's handling of material which might have been of interest to the police, which will report to the BBC Executive Board.

There has been speculation that the programme was dropped because the BBC was already planning to run more favourable programmes in tribute to the former BBC presenter, who died in October 2011. The BBC has repeatedly denied such claims.

BBC director general George Entwistle said he was launching the inquiry to shake off the "clouds of suspicion".

Outlining terms of reference on Thursday, a statement on behalf of the review said: "It will establish whether there were any failings in the BBC management of the Newsnight investigation relating to allegations of sexual abuse of children by Jimmy Savile, including the broadcast of tribute programmes on the BBC.

"This will encompass the BBC's handling of material derived from the investigation that could have been of interest to the police or relevant authorities and whether any inappropriate managerial pressure or consideration may have influenced the decision of the editor of Newsnight."

It said the review will examine the editorial decision on the Newsnight investigation and a blog dated 2 October posted by the programme's editor which was changed by the BBC on 22 October 2012.

In the original blog, Newsnight editor Peter Rippon explained the editorial reasons behind his decision to axe the report. He said it was "totally untrue" he had been ordered to do it by bosses as part of a BBC cover-up.

In a correction to the blog, the BBC called it "inaccurate or incomplete in some respects".

Mr Rippon has stepped aside from his role for the duration of the inquiry.

The review's statement said interviews with relevant people will be conducted with support of a barrister, and interviewees are allowed a lawyer.

The review has asked BBC staff for documents and was electronically searching archived documents from relevant people.

Participation in the review, which has already begun, is voluntary.

Police believe Savile could have abused as many as 300 people over a 40-year-period.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    I've got more than my fair share of comment on the subject of Operation Yewtree (as have many others Im sure) but is it allowed to put them out here on the forum (dont want the risk of putting my foot in it re legal proceedings due to comments about certain individuals arrested) ?

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    I think most of us have strong views, but think it best to side step the subject, or be very carefull
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

4. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Conaxthewarrior (17-11-12)