Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: This is exactly why you should NEVER buy a cloned satellite receiver.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

This is exactly why you should NEVER buy a cloned satellite receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo88 View Post
    I got my ferrari vu+ duo today and when i put my wireless bridge into the box the box started smoking and now the usb ports at the back no longer work!

the rest of the box is working fine so is the usb port at the front but it seems the back 2 ports are dead, is this just a blown fuse as such that i can get repaired at a computer/tv shop or is it knackered now?

i know i just got it today and i could send it back but its from china and i dont want the hassle which will most likley get me nowhere anyway, plus iv added a internal harddrive which will probabily void any valid warrenty.

as i said rest of box is fine, its just 2 usb ports at the back.

thanks.

no clone haters please simply couldnt afford a genuine

The above is a post i just came across on another forum, and let me say that i take absolutely no pleasure in this users misfortune.

The thing that scares the absolute living ~ insert expletive here ~ out of me, is what would have happened if this thing had gone up in smoke in the early hours of the morning while this guy and his family were asleep ?.

Is it really worth dying in a house fire just to save a few quid by buying this trash ?.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (31-10-12),Donnie (31-10-12),Maxwell (04-11-12),Mr. Mister (31-10-12),pooface (31-10-12),s31teg (01-11-12),Sicilian (31-10-12),Suttsy (05-01-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Just for a bit more to add in regards to fire... A local school near where I work, set alight yesterday afternoon and burnt to the ground... All due to a single spark from some work one of the roofers was doing! Something so small crates such a huge fire, it's scary to think what consequences could have come from it...

Also, I'm sure that I read somewhere a while back, that come boxes boss all house insurance. So, even if the box set alight, and the whole house burnt down, you would not be covered!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've heard stories of DM800 clone PSU's spontaneously combusting.

Seems extreme but clones "could" kill under extreme circumstances
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Just for a bit more to add in regards to fire... A local school near where I work, set alight yesterday afternoon and burnt to the ground... All due to a single spark from some work one of the roofers was doing! Something so small crates such a huge fire, it's scary to think what consequences could have come from it...

Also, I'm sure that I read somewhere a while back, that come boxes boss all house insurance. So, even if the box set alight, and the whole house burnt down, you would not be covered!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
    Alot of clone stuff has fake "CE" certification marks on them.

Laptop power PSU's can be well dodgy too
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I've heard stories of DM800 clone PSU's spontaneously combusting.

Seems extreme but clones "could" kill under extreme circumstances
    unfortunately it does not even have to be extreme circumstances.

There are dozens of reports of cloned Duo PSU's going up sometimes very violently, by just inserting a HDD, something these boxes are supposed to be built specifically for. Dont get me wrong i am not saying original receivers never go wrong but these clones have absolutely no quality control and by using one your risking your and your loved ones lives, is it worth the risk for a saving of under £100 ?
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i thought i had learnt the hard way by losing money with a clone but after reading this i think ive learnt the easy/best way.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    NOT all clones are fire hazard, yes the cheap & nasty duo seem to be, but there is more than clone duo`s out there, and Ive never heard of any such fires with clone dreamboxes, so like i say, not ALL clones are fire boxes........................
    What else can i say !!.....

You can`t please all of the people all of the time...so...dont even try........ ...

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dugJTYz-JR4&feature=em-subs_digest

Title
    Thanks
    They deserve what they get, if they are too cheap to buy clones they are on their own.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Likvid View Post
    They deserve what they get, if they are too cheap to buy clones they are on their own.
    Nobody deserves to buy a fire hazard & folks are still buying these thinking they're original boxes or without any knowledge of the clone market...

Title
    Thanks
    No Update on the Blackbury fire, that torched a kids bedroom in the US

Title
    Thanks
    Methinks It does not make sense to buy a clone DUO, because there is not a enough profit in this without the clone's cutting corners. This is borne out with many of them having plenty of problems. Dream box's on the other hand are over priced, and there are many happy clone owners, but even with them, there are rouges out there ready to rip people off. If you are inexperience it really only makes sense to buy from reputable dealers, like W of Sat.