Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best twin tuner for a newbie to this.

Title
    Thanks

Best twin tuner for a newbie to this.

I am looking to replace my sky hd box.
    I don't have a motorised dish.

I am presuming the motorised dish is for only non uk channels ?

If I am wrong and there is more good English speaking channels out there please let me know and this maybe a new option I look at

I was interested in alien 2 , because it is cheap, but it looks like unless you know what you are doing it maybe hard with a lack of support

So then I move up a bracket to 2 more models

Vu+ duo
    Or
    Technomate twin

Which is the best here?

I have a large family, 7 day epg is important, easy use for the kids.
    Easy modification if needed

Good support if I run into problems

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    For myself, I would go with the duo,

but thats only because I have no direct experiance with thr technomate
    the xtrend units are worth looking at as well
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    I see you own a few boxes , thanks for the advice I look at the xtrend too

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have had Xtrend ET9200 for 7 months and it works a treat on Vix

Title
    Thanks
    The xtrend is another£100, what does the extra £100 offer over the over 2 units?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    I would highly recommend the duo great box with great support added bonus of running Vix

check out are site sponsor for a great deal

Code:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    I thinking vu+ duo is the most popular one and best supported but does the newer technomate bring anything new which puts it head of the vu+

I also see some boxes have loop, does that mean from the same feed into the box I can feed straight out of the box to a second box on one dish?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The DUO has been the best box in the market in term of image support and Big user base.

The TM is new to the scene and has better hardware spec.

Whichever box you go for is supporter by vix and stocked by the sponsor, don't forget member discount that he offers.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    So the technomate and cheaper alien 2 are potentially better boxes for the future, but right now the vu+ is the best,

Is that a fair statement.?

If so would it make sense to buy a cheap single tuner wait a couple of months then buy a better unit in December? Is progress on software and support normally quick or is in long in developing of previous units?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    up until very recently i would have advised that you avoid the TM as it was very patchy to say the least, now however TM have gotten their act together and released a very good set of stable hardware drivers ( the ones we are currently using in our image ), and as such i would have to say that the TM-Twin is on par with the Duo.

The Duo has a long and proven track record and has performed very well for the past 2 years or so of it's life but it is soon to be replaced by the Duo2, although that should not sway you from considering it because support for it will not cease. Both boxes are supported by the ViX team and as such will offer pretty much the same from a user standpoint.

so the end decision is do you want to go for the TM which technically has a higher spec than the duo and now with support by the ViX team, easily rivals the Duo. or do you want to go with the tried and tested Duo, which while still one of the best receivers to buy, is starting to show it's age a little when compared to newer boxes that have more memory etc.

Personally I can say that i have both the Duo and Twin and both work very well for my needs.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotchef View Post
    So the technomate and cheaper alien 2 are potentially better boxes for the future, but right now the vu+ is the best,

Is that a fair statement.?

If so would it make sense to buy a cheap single tuner wait a couple of months then buy a better unit in December? Is progress on software and support normally quick or is in long in developing of previous units?
    I would avoid the Alien all together to be honest. while the technical specs may look impressive and the price is a nice fit too, it does not have a broadcom CPU and that means that the Enigma2 side of things is very lacking and likely not to improve, I can also say with total certainty that ViX will never support the alien with it's current processor.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Hotchef (07-10-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotchef View Post
    I am looking to replace my sky hd box.
    I don't have a motorised dish.

I am presuming the motorised dish is for only non uk channels ?

If I am wrong and there is more good English speaking channels out there please let me know and this maybe a new option I look at

I was interested in alien 2 , because it is cheap, but it looks like unless you know what you are doing it maybe hard with a lack of support

So then I move up a bracket to 2 more models

Vu+ duo
    Or
    Technomate twin

Which is the best here?

I have a large family, 7 day epg is important, easy use for the kids.
    Easy modification if needed

Good support if I run into problems
    I think that any of the common enigma2 boxes (VU, Xtrend) preferable with twin tuners (a la Sky HD, so you can watch and record, or watch and stream) would meet your needs depending on your budget.
    Critically is how you want to handle your family viewing habits and also the learning curve with the new box (how steep will depend on you) ... you need to learn how to set up the epg, install cams and channel bouquets for example .... not that difficult, but then you read these forums and ........ )

So I would upgrade your dish, add a quad lnb (maybe long term you will have a quad box!), so that you can initially at least run both receivers in parallel, and sort out everything.
    You can either keep the Sky box as fta for the kids perhaps, or if you want just one box and you have an IPAD, you can let the children watch on IPAD via streaming, while you watch the sport on the main TV (or visa versa!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Hotchef (07-10-12)

Title
    Thanks
    I would go with something with better hardware instead of just going for a duo, I have an xtrend et9k.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    on the dish side of things, if you have a family, you need to concider a quad lnb, or octigon lnb, as its likely, you might need more than one unit

as to the choice of unit, as others have said, its down to three or four units
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    I have 2 useable sky dishes 1 , double feed which is my sky had line and my old single cable dish.
    So I can get 2 going. As will need to invest in server too.

When people talk about vu+ and new twin openbox

I think in one hand I should wait, but I want to get started with my own box

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast