Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Andy Murray: US Open success 'means the world to me

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts

Andy Murray: US Open success 'means the world to me

ndy Murray says his US Open win "means the world" and that he is relieved to have ended Britain's long search for another male Grand Slam champion.
    The Scot, 25, beat Novak Djokovic in five sets to claim his first major.
    "It is what I have been working towards for the last 10 years of my life," Murray told BBC Sport in New York. "It means the world to me."

The last British man to win a Grand Slam title was Fred Perry, who won the US Open in 1936, 76 years ago.
    Murray has long been tipped to emulate Perry, who won eight majors, but had lost in his four previous Grand Slam finals.
    He finally ended his barren run at the fifth attempt, beating defending champion and world number two Djokovic 7-6 (12-10) 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2 in a contest at Flushing Meadows that lasted almost five hours.
    "I think everyone is in a little bit of shock that it has happened," said Murray, speaking to the media after his win. "I've seen my mum after I've lost Slam finals and she has been really upset. Everyone's really happy.
    "It is hard to explain. It has been a long, long journey to this point, so I don't know if it is disbelief or whatever, but I am very, very happy on the inside. I'm sorry if I'm not showing it as you would like."

sked what it felt like to end Britain's lengthy wait for a male Grand Slam winner, Murray replied: "I've been reminded of that most days of my life for the last few years. It's great to have finally done it and I don't need to get asked that anymore."
    Murray said the disappointment of losing to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final in July was tough to take but added he was proud of the way he had reacted, beating Federer to win Olympic gold last month and now Djokovic to win his first major.
    "To come back in the next Grand Slam and to win it in a five-set match against Djokovic on a hard court - he hasn't lost for a couple of years on a hard court in a Grand Slam - is unbelievable," said Murray.

He said it would have been hard to recover had he lost a fifth major final.
    "I'm very, very happy to come through," he said. "If I had lost this one from two sets up, it would have been tough to take."
    Asked what had been the key to success at Flushing Meadows, Murray said: "I have kept improving.
    "I have worked hard all the time, even after the tough losses. I have had a fairly solid team around me as well for a long time."
    He also credited coach Ivan Lendl after teaming up with the former world number one and eight-time Grand Slam winner in January.

"Having Ivan Lendl around has definitely helped, not just me but the rest of the team as well, having someone of his experience, especially in these situations," said Murray.
    "He's got his name on that trophy three times and made the final eight times in a row. It really helps having him around."
    Murray said he also hoped his win "inspires some kids to play tennis" and "takes away the notion that British tennis players choke or don't win".
    He also insisted British tennis was "in a good place right now" and praised the achievements of Laura Robson, with whom he won Olympic silver in the mixed doubles, and junior Liam Broady.
    "Laura's done very well, the Olympics was great for us and Liam Broady was in the final here in the juniors," said Murray. "I hope it stays that way."

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Donnie (11-09-12),Sicilian (13-09-12)

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Always thought he was a miserable Scottish twit but I watched most of the game last night and most of his games this year and to be honest I have warmed to him.

I think his problem has been the burden but I think the monkey is now off his back and he really could be tennis number 1 by the end of the year.

Well done Andy
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Always thought he was a miserable Scottish twit but I watched most of the game last night and most of his games this year and to be honest I have warmed to him.

I think his problem has been the burden but I think the monkey is now off his back and he really could be tennis number 1 by the end of the year.

Well done Andy
    Tbh, wtf do you expect?! With so much hanging on your shoulders, it's a hard burden to bare. The British/English supporters are so hard on our sportsmen. They are only people after all, and have to try to do their best. But, under pressure is much harder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

Donnie (11-09-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Thats just it.. Hes not British or English..

He`s Scottish..

But its the usual story again..

In the eyes of an Englishman.. The Northern Irish.. Scottish or Welsh Sports stars that do well.. They are all British..

But if an English guy does well.. Then he is English.. and not British..

Take our Rory McIlroy.. He aint British.. Although we hear the commentators on TV all the time about our new British golf sensation..

Well.. He aint British..

OK.. Rant over.. lol

Well done Andy.. on the US Open.. and for sticking up for the Jocks.. lol

Now onto be World #1.. before the end of the year..
    Last edited by Mr. Mister; 11-09-12 at 22:18.