Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Thinking of getting a motor dish -few questions!

Title
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a motor dish -few questions!

I have a DISH with 4 lnbs, 13e, 28e, 4.8e, and 13e hotbird.

I feel like trying something new.

My questions are:

1) If I set up a dish with motor, how many sats can it cover?

2) if I change a channel from 13 hotbird to 28 astra, how long does it take?

3) is it worth going for a motor? any + any - ?

I am thinking of keeping my original dish with 4 lnbs, just thinking of getting a new DISH with motor.

Any help will be appreciated.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    it depends on where you arer based, here in the uk, you can get from 42 east to 30 west, with a 1 mtr dish, it will get most of the main sats

ie, turksat @ 42 east, 39/28/23.5/19/16/13/10/9/7/4.8 east .08/4/8/12.5/14/30 west there might be others, but this is just an example
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    based in denmark, copenhagen.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samad View Post
    I have a DISH with 4 lnbs, 13e, 28e, 4.8e, and 13e hotbird.
    I feel like trying something new.
    My questions are:
    1) If I set up a dish with motor, how many sats can it cover?
    2) if I change a channel from 13 hotbird to 28 astra, how long does it take?
    3) is it worth going for a motor? any + any - ?
    I am thinking of keeping my original dish with 4 lnbs, just thinking of getting a new DISH with motor.
    1- See http://satellites-xml.org/ to get an idea. Of course it's not only 'being in Denmark' that counts, but also dependant on local obstructions.
    2-3: that's the disadvantage of using only a motorised dish: zapping to any other satellite can take long.
    That's the reason I combined a fixed dish (for Astra 1,2 & 3) for fast zapping on my most watched channels and a motor for excursions to other worlds.
    With an 4/1 switch you can combine the 2 dishes.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    1- See http://satellites-xml.org/ to get an idea. Of course it's not only 'being in Denmark' that counts, but also dependant on local obstructions.
    2-3: that's the disadvantage of using only a motorised dish: zapping to any other satellite can take long.
    That's the reason I combined a fixed dish (for Astra 1,2 & 3) for fast zapping on my most watched channels and a motor for excursions to other worlds.
    With an 4/1 switch you can combine the 2 dishes.
    OK got it all! thanks. Just one question, regarding the last part, so you have ONE dish and a 4/1 switch? How does that look like? any URL, any link where I can get more info. Because I will go with the same setup. Can you show me some images of how it looks like? So you have 1 dish with 3 lnbs and 1 motor lnb? Sorry but I am totally new to this, just trying to understand it.

Thanks a lot

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samad View Post
    OK got it all! thanks. Just one question, regarding the last part, so you have ONE dish and a 4/1 switch? How does that look like? any URL, any link where I can get more info. Because I will go with the same setup. Can you show me some images of how it looks like? So you have 1 dish with 3 lnbs and 1 motor lnb? Sorry but I am totally new to this, just trying to understand it.

Thanks a lot
    Yes Rob got me going on this setup, ( as in trying to understand ) and I have lots of experience with various dish setups, so you are not alone
    your assumption is correct, in that dish one will have three lnb,s, dish 2 would be motorized = 4th lnb

there is a post on the forum, that explains more clearly, ( think it needs to be a sticky ) and in fact, there are options that would exceed most peeps needs
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    Yes Rob got me going on this setup, ( as in trying to understand ) and I have lots of experience with various dish setups, so you are not alone
    your assumption is correct, in that dish one will have three lnb,s, dish 2 would be motorized = 4th lnb

there is a post on the forum, that explains more clearly, ( think it needs to be a sticky ) and in fact, there are options that would exceed most peeps needs
    In fact my fixed dish has 4 LNB's (althoug the 4tf is pointing at 13E which I hardly use.
    Soa Astrat 1, 2 & 3 are equal on both tuners (switch inputs 1, 2 & 3) and the 4th input of one is LNB #4 (being fixed 13E on switch #1 and motorised LNB on switch #2).

And as I pointed out in the other thread: to prevent the switch from getting all the current for the motor, the wiring is slightly different from normal: from tuner B to motor; from there to switch output. All 4 LNB's to the 4 inputs.

I have this setup in twofold running for years now: never had any problem.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    if you do go for a motor, dont buy a cheap one, my mate has had one for a week and keeps losting the settings after a scan

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by river-rat View Post
    if you do go for a motor, dont buy a cheap one, my mate has had one for a week and keeps losting the settings after a scan
    There are no settings in a motor if yo use USALS.