Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Anyone know a simple way of cloning a windows 7 partition drive to a smaller SSD?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts

Anyone know a simple way of cloning a windows 7 partition drive to a smaller SSD?

As the title guys, anyone know a simple way of cloning a windows 7 partition drive to a smaller SSD?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    have you tried clonezilla ?
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    have you tried clonezilla ?
    Not yet, but dont think it re-sizes.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Not yet, but dont think it re-sizes.
    I have not used clonezilla in a long time but it should be able to let you create a clone of one HDD to another providing there is enough space on the target drive.

I could be wrong though.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Using the backup feature of Windows 7 works very well. Did this from a 5ooGB HDD to a 128MB SSD via backup on external USB-HDD. Tried with Clonezilla before and it in fact doesn't resize.

You just have to change some system settings after change to SSD or use e.g. Samsung SSD Magician (e.g. disable defragmentation)
    Last edited by belierzz; 11-08-12 at 18:16.
    Always remember:

It's not my fault and it could be worse...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to belierzz For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (11-08-12)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by belierzz View Post
    Using the backup feature of Windows 7 works very well. Did this from a 5ooGB HDD to a 128MB SSD via backup on external USB-HDD. Tried with Clonezilla before and it in fact doesn't resize.

You just have to change some system settings after change to SSD or use e.g. Samsung SSD Magician (e.g. disable defragmentation)
    Does the backup drive automatically become bootable?
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, it in fact clones the source drive. May be you have to adjust settings in bios (e.g. boot drive order) as youu will have to use a windows system disk as boot CD in between.
    Always remember:

It's not my fault and it could be worse...

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    I use Symantec ghost for this sort of job. Allows you to clone one drive to another. Remind me on mondaynif your still needing help, and I'll help you thru it. Send me a pm or catch me 0n sky[e if I'm online...

Really simple and will only take ab0ut an hour or so depending on how much data there is to transmit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Finally managed to get this done.

Symantect ghost kept failing due to the desitnation drive beign smaller then my existing partion, even windows was only actually using approx 70GB.

In the end did as follows: -

Resized the windows partition using Gparted to 200GB.
    Rebooted into windows and used Symantec Ghost to clone and selected use all space.
    On reboot after clone, drive would not boot, used windows dish to do a system repair, after that all working.

Got to admit, speed difference with SSD is amazing.

Got a Symantec guide here incase anyone wants.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    That's Norton ghost by file man me, not Symantec. I was talking about using the corporate version. When you come with it, it asks you what size you want the destination drive.wouldn't use Norton myself, usually rubbish Glad you're sorted tho, but reminds me next time you see me, and I'll sort you out ready for next time you wanna do something like that

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    This was well worth all the hassle, PC running well fast now

Got Sandisk SSD 240GB http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb...83000-iops-max connected with proper SATA 6GB leads and another 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB for storing my data, again connected with proper SATA 6GB lead. System is running superb. I've kept my old HDD intact incase anything for wrong or something have copied across correctly.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    This was well worth all the hassle, PC running well fast now

Got Sandisk SSD 240GB http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb...83000-iops-max connected with proper SATA 6GB leads and another 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB for storing my data, again connected with proper SATA 6GB lead. System is running superb. I've kept my old HDD intact incase anything for wrong or something have copied across correctly.
    For anyone wanting to install an SSD, there is a super (free) guide just google Lifehacker and The Complete Guide to Solid-State Drives, it shows just how to do it, and the various options

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (12-08-12)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    After a day of using this SSD I've found it feels sort of weird not hearing a HDD churning away any more lol!
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    .. but when at last Windows works almost as good as a MAC , why would you go win8 and the delights of Metro tiles (or whatever they now have to call it)