Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: had get work done to stop communal connection going off !

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Question had get work done to stop communal connection going off !

Had a company out to do some work.

Problem was that I have a communal sat dish which is shared with 3 houses, we'll call them house 1,2 & 3 just for the sake of it, house 2 being the middle house where the dish is mounted and the main cabling is firstly routed.

There is also a terrestrial tv antenna on the same pole as the sat dish and the cabling for that also firstly went in via house 2 first.

Ok, the problem was that every time the electricity went off in house 2 it mean that house 1 & 3 totally lost all connection/signal to the sat dish and the tv antenna and left the houses unable to watch tv at all.

However, as I said, we had work done were the sat dish/tv antenna company entered house 2's attic space and said they have now fixed it so that if house 2 has any electricity outage then house 1 & 3 wont lose any reception to thier satellite or tv antenna and all should be good.

well I checked the tv etc and everything appears to look ok.

What I would like to see though is if someone can explain to me what they done, and done it without the need of entering house 1 & 3's attic's at all, they only done the work from inside house 2's attic

The guys kindly left my wife a note as I wasnt at home at the time and the note says this >>>

"replaced mains powered switch in house 2 with TMPR 8 way, fitted power unit in house 2,
    houses 1 & 3 both have sky boxes, no power unit required"

They also left us with a power supply unit that the wife says they didnt really say much about (or she wasnt listening, lol).

Whats the power supply unit for and can someone explain exactly what they have done to do all the work, try and make it in simple terms please as I wont understand either, lol.

Ive attached a couple of pictures of the TMPR power supply unit they left us just so that you know what I am talking about.IMAG0717.jpgIMAG0718.jpg
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 16-07-12 at 20:56. Reason: spelling
    VU+DUO (Genuine box - not a clone)
    FIXED 28.2e DISH
    System OE:OE-Alliance 3.4
    Firmware version:OpenViX 4.2.021 (2016-12-06)
    Kernel / Drivers:3.9.6 / 20151124

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Not sure what they have done but if the Triax is mains powered and connected to 2,how is it going to get its power if the house loses power.

Basil is quite good on these and will be along shortly

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (16-07-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Not sure what they have done but if the Triax is mains powered and connected to 2,how is it going to get its power if the house loses power.

Basil is quite good on these and will be along shortly
    ok thanks mate.

I'm not sure what they done either to be honest, I would have thought they would have needed to get into the 3 house attic's (maybe not )

As you say, maybe Basil or someone else will know exactly what has went on, either that or maybe they were just pulling our leg and done nuffin, lol, I doubt it though.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    it sounds like "house2" has quattro lnb setup. ( they are used in hotels etc ) the quattro lnb has 4 out puts Hi VERT LOW VIRT HI HORIZONTAL LOW HORIZONTAL THE 4 COAX cables then got to a unit, with multiple outputs ( including fta tertestrial ) the sender unit in house two, has to be powered, so if a power cut happens, no one will get signals

so unless the coax is coming diectly from the dish to your house ( in which case the lnb would have to be a QUAD or OCTIGON "8 legs" rather than QUATTRO ) you are still dependant on house 2, regarless of what the installer did
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (17-07-12)

Title
    Thanks
    do a google

triax 305289

and you will see what i mean

8. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (17-07-12)

Title
    Thanks
    HTML Code:
    http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/370407_manual_0907.pdf
    more info for you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (17-07-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Basil

But like I said earlier, when it gets all technical like that I am kinda lost, I wouldnt be so lost if I could actually see what they done in house number 2, but that will never happen

They are a very big company, they are not a small private company the just does odd jobs, they have contracts for giant corporations etc, so I cant see them lying about what they done etc, but we all know anyone can tell lies in any job.

I just cant figure out (if they did do it which they said they did and I have it in writing, just a note, not a receipt as that goes to the housing developer), I just cant figure out how they managed to do the work just from house 2 and didnt need access to house 1 and 3

And also, why leave me with a power supply without any description of what to use it for, its crazyness

All I can say is that everything is working fine, but that may just be because house number 2 has electricity just now, you know what I mean ?

the other thing I can state for sure is that each of the 3 houses have twin seperate cable feeds (for dual sat tuners), and also terrestrial tv antenna sockets in each room too, but as I said at first, if house number 2's electricity disconnected then it meant house 1 and 3 had no tv at all, no satellite, no terrestrial tv antenna either, those are the facts that I can state for sure.

I dunno, and without me being able to see inside the attic of house 2 which will never happen then I will never know, I will just have to hope it keeps working, lol, sounds like even your a little scepticle about what they actually done too.

I will just have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks anyway mate, much appreciated and thanks given too.
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 17-07-12 at 01:33.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Sounds like thy fitted a receiver powered switch. Your sky box powers the switch in house 2.
    The power unit they left is in case you don't use a receiver, just terrestrial, it sends 12 volts into he I.F socket to power the switch so you still get terrestrial.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (18-07-12)

Title
    Thanks
    if your coax cables come from house 2, rather than direct from the dish, you are still reliant on house 2, simply becuase the cables from the dish/ariel go to a central unit

so unless there is a UPS unit ( uninterrupted power supply which would kick in after a power failure ) I cant see how it can work with out power from house 2,

I suspect the adaptor you have, sends power via the coax cable, to the control unit in house 2, other wise there is no logic to them giving you the adaptor, I will relook at the
    unit plan on there web site

15. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (18-07-12)

Title
    Thanks
    ok, from what I make of the tech diagrams, the adaptor connects to your wall connector, so as to send power via the coax cable back to the multy switch housed in house 2

but would advise asking the company direct,

HTML Code:
    http://www.hypex.co.uk/files/pdf/16890/trilink.pdf
    look at the wall sockets, the adaptor, appears to be the little black thing below the wall plates, but its pretty undiscript

17. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (18-07-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks very much as always guys

Its still too technical for me, I think the best thing to do is firstly call the company and ask exactly what they done and fitted, and better still, get the person in house number 2 too switch off thier electricity to see if house 1 and 3 still work, thats the easiest and most simple Idea I guess.

As for all the deep technical stuff, I am totally lost man, lol.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    It's a Reciever powered multiswitch, simples.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs