Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving My Motorised Dish - Looking for advice.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Moving My Motorised Dish - Looking for advice.

All,

I have a 1.1 m triax on technomate 2600 behind the house.
    Its about 40m of cable to get to the receiver.
    There is 1 join and 1 inline amplifier.

Im only getting 50% of the arc so I want to move to the end of the lawn.
    It adds about 30m more to the distance and an extra join.

i put on a bit of RG6U the same length and there was a bit of detioration in signal but OK.
    Strangely the motor didnt work. It moves from the positioner setup menu or from the button on the motor but thats it.

Motor was fine when I switched it back.

Would a better cable for the 30m bit improve things.
    Can I add another inline amplifier.

Any other other solutions that I could consider ???

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    You wouldn't have needed an inline amp for 40m cable run, but for 70m yes. Put it at the dish end, not receiver end. Not sure why motor not moving?? did you do a "Goto 0" in the menus to reset things?

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

dfdream (24-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Don't know if this helps but I once had a random to and fro swing problem on my motor and found out after that a newly installed cable extention (just a few meters) was finley broken such that the inner metal screeing was touching the actual signal wire thus shorting the system and confusing the motor. (Turns out the wife had craked the cable while slamming the back door earlier). Might be an idea to check integrity of your new cabel, it could be damaged.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Conaxthewarrior For This Useful Post:

dfdream (24-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    u needs to use something like WF125 cable or the equivalent for that lenth of run, that rg6 is no good and even WF100 or equivalent will struggle at 70metres, get some WF125 cable an make sure you get some WF125 connectors, thays a different size for fitting the cable into the connector to be ok with the extra cable fattness but same size for fittin the box, u wont kneed no amplifiers if you goes for wF125 cable

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DixieRay For This Useful Post:

dfdream (24-06-12)

digi247
    The difference between WF100 and WF125 is negligible really and for the price is not really worth it, WF100 or TX100 etc.. will do the job fine but you cannot afford to add extensions 1 clean run with minimal bends is ideal.

If your moving it to the end of the lawn and money is no object then you should be looking at WF165 or TX165 Underground if the cable is to be buried as the difference again is only slight but better than the value between 100 and 125.

If your on a budget and you perhaps know someone who works for Virgin media and can get you there cable thats the nearest to WF125 underground and would save you a packet.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digi247 View Post
    The difference between WF100 and WF125 is negligible really....
    sorry matey but cahnt agree with u on the neglibil difference , u not correct wf125 has 56% more the amout of coper cable carrign signal than that wf100 has cross section area of 0.7855 sqmm and the wf125 has cross section of 1.2273 sqmm, do Ure pie are squares mate for cross section area u got 1.5625 times more area for signal to pump down wth the wf125 that makes big diffo to signal strenghts on long runs on short runs not so important but on 70m run and if sats weak signals that wf125 kick piggins out of wf100 mebbees cost is higher but deffo gice difference on 75m runs

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Sorry: your text is incomprehensible. Could you please use some capitals and punctuation, and a bit less of turbo-language please? And maybe use a spelling-check? Just to make it possible for everyone to enjoy your contribution.
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 24-06-12 at 15:06.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

digi247
    Just to quote i have used both and i stand by what i say the difference is negligible for the price per meter, Tests conducted with a spectrum analyser and the gain is 0.5-1.0db at most

Title
    Thanks
    Just to quote i have used both and i stand by what i say the difference is negligible for the price per meter, Tests conducted with a spectrum analyser and the gain is 0.5-1.0db at most
    what lenth of cable did u use for the test, was it 75metres

that better for u Robin, I got arthritis and often hit wrong ketys, never was much good at english, not much call for it at our school, need a grammer checker to up the grammer?
    Last edited by DixieRay; 24-06-12 at 16:05.

digi247
    also have a look at the tests done from another expert

Code:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cablespecs.htm

also taking note of the Sat spectrum at 2050mhz

Title
    Thanks
    also have a look at the tests done from another expert

Code:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cablespecs.htm

also taking note of the Sat spectrum at 2050mhz
    looks to me like that the best figure was from the wf125 on that review. mind you, dont relly matter. its up to the OP what way he decides to go when he moves his dish. sorry for dragging this conversation away from your needs OP, hope you get sorted out OK. if it was me i would buy some wf125 off ebay or amazone and use the in one long run, U wont be dissapointed. also i do agree with digi247 that if you can get wf165 or equivalent at low money then deffo go for that but whatever way U go good luck with your installation

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieRay View Post
    I got arthritis and often hit wrong ketys, never was much good at english, not much call for it at our school, need a grammer checker to up the grammer?
    Well, I'm not good either, but I use Firefox with spelling checkers. Works not 100%, but almost.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Wow arguing over 3db (difference between 70 meters ct100 & 70 meters ct125 at 2150Mhz). Let's put it this way, even a 60cm dish will give you 80+db at 2150Mhz using CT100 you loose approx 22db, leaving 60db, more then enough signal strength. It's the signal quality that matters, adding amps where not needed only introduces noise to the signal.

I've designed, installed and commisioned communal irs systems with 50+ meter runs of CT100 with no problems.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    I've designed, installed and commisioned communal irs systems with 50+ meter runs of CT100 with no problems.
    OP is using a motorised diash so will be moving about to sats. he is not using a fixed dish like most communes would the fixed commune dishes are pointing at strong beams and signals. OP has a run of about 75m if any of his sats or transpondurs are weak or on the edge of the reception at 75m run what cable you use ct100 or ct125, you assuming all sats required by OP are with good quality signal, if they not all good quality signal such as weak transpondurs or on the edge of the shoeprint and you use ct100 on a 75metre run you are in trouble im my opinion especialy on a motorised system
    Last edited by DixieRay; 24-06-12 at 18:24.

digi247
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    Wow arguing over 3db (difference between 70 meters ct100 & 70 meters ct125 at 2150Mhz). Let's put it this way, even a 60cm dish will give you 80+db at 2150Mhz using CT100 you loose approx 22db, leaving 60db, more then enough signal strength. It's the signal quality that matters, adding amps where not needed only introduces noise to the signal.

Not to get into this too much again but i have experience with IRS as well and what do IRS systems use of course a Distribution AMP with the latter being the operative word, and although i have to admit it Dixieray is spot on 3db on some TP's on certain sats is the be all and end all of actually locking and holding a signal which is pretty useful on a motorised system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast