Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the best router in your opinion..

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Sounds like its going to be separates, white openreach modem and router, in which case you can get the WNR2000 on ebay for around £10 or the gigibyte version from a scottish seller for £17.

Had mine for 3 months and had no problem.

The feature I love and got it for is WIFI can be switched off via a button on the back.

Personally could not justify £200+ on the draytek combo's

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (13-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    i 2nd the DDWRT. I use bt infinity with the Dlink 615 with DDWRT its perfection other than the wifi being a bit weak but i am waiting for the wireless AC standard to come out before i spend money on a new router. I dont think you need a draytek. The BT modem has been rock solid for me no problems its the shit home hub thats the problem.

Dont knock the router for being £10.00. Pics of gui on the thread below.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...529#post125529
    Last edited by eblaster101; 13-06-12 at 22:23.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eblaster101 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (13-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    draytek are the best i have a 2820 its been brilliant i use both adsl and cable at the same time there are newer versions now but cant fault them
    will be a pain to setup first off mind you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cypchris For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (13-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    just before you go out and buy a draytek check out the billion 7800n.

Title
    Thanks
    http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

if you got BT you can flash the Fibre modem unlocking the webgui allowing you to view line stats and enable the use of the 2nd network port. I am in the process of figuring out how i can view the modems web interface and my routers through 1 cable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eblaster101 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (15-06-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Hi guys..

thanks for all your opinions on this.. Draytek seems to be the one that everyone is recommending..

I dont really have any interest in forking out 300+ for a 2820n though.. So waiting for one to come up for sale in auction on fleabay.. that will hopefully not make anything close to that..

In the mean time.. A m8 of mine has given me a 5 port Home Theater & Gaming network switch.. Model : GS605AV

Now im not well up in routers and stuff.. I take it this is useless to me.. as i now have BT business broadband.. So i can not remove my BT hub.. and replace with this switch..

I still have the crappy white modem that BT install.. and they tell me that i must use this modem.. ( would not expect them to say anything else really )

Does anyone know if this is this true ..?? As i dont see any ports in the switch to put the red ethernet cable coming from the modem..

Any help would be greatly appreicated,,

Title
    Thanks
    these are on there mate

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cypchris For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (28-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi mate,

The switch is used basically to increase the number of Ethernet ports so that more devices can be connected to the Internet etc. So it does not replace your hub or anything, you connect a LAN cable from your hub to the switch, then use the other ports on the switch to connect to your devices.

If you've got bt infinity, then look at my previous post to see how to make the draytek work as both the modem and router.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to im85288 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (28-06-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by im85288 View Post
    Hi mate,

The switch is used basically to increase the number of Ethernet ports so that more devices can be connected to the Internet etc. So it does not replace your hub or anything, you connect a LAN cable from your hub to the switch, then use the other ports on the switch to connect to your devices.

If you've got bt infinity, then look at my previous post to see how to make the draytek work as both the modem and router.
    correct bud.. just noticed that at 5pm this evening when i went to fit it..

Talk about feeling like a prat.. lmao

Title
    Thanks
    i am willing to send you a ddwrt dlink and if it freezes on you, and you have to reboot you can keep it for free. Otherwise send me £20 how does that sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12