Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: ICS is now on 7.1% of Android devices

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

ICS is now on 7.1% of Android devices

We've long bemoaned the Android rollout process, but now comes good news, of sorts. Ice Cream Sandwich -- the latest version of Android -- is now used on 7.1 per cent of devices, according to Google's stats.

This is up from the 5 per cent a month ago. But it still pales in comparison to Gingerbread, which accounts for 65 per cent of all Android devices. So ICS still has a long way to go. The figures become all the more unimpressive when you consider Android Jelly Bean is due for release in the next couple of months.

There is a caveat. These figures record Android devices which access the Google Play online store for apps and games, so they're not 100 per cent accurate. But they're about as close as we're going to get.

More bad news if you were hoping Ice Cream Sandwich would become standard anytime soon -- Gingerbread actually increased its market share slightly since last month. So it looks like ICS is a long way off topping the charts.

This is a little disappointing considering ICS is about six months old now, and as we say, about to be surpassed by Jelly Bean. Still, it is an improvement on how the year started for ICS, with it appearing on less than 1 per cent of devices. The whole palaver over the rollout for the Samsung Galaxy S2 turned off a lot of customers. One engineer thinks waiting five months for the update is perfectly reasonable. And the real kicker? Ice Cream Sandwich could even make some Android devices worse.

Are you still waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich? How long do you think is reasonable to have to wait? And what are you hoping for from Jelly Bean? Let me know in the comments,

Code:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/ics-is-now-on-7-1-of-android-devices-50008140/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (07-06-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've put ICS on 2 phones and 1 tablet. Tihng is that there seems to be an issue using Exchange Corporate Email.
    On all devices with ICS sent email gets stuck in outbox and will not send.
    Incoming mail, contacts and calendar is fine.

Luckily I hadnt upgraded my S2.

Google would want to take the finger out on this one as the corporate customer was one of their primary targets.