Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vu+ team is delighted to invite you to ANGA Cable 2012

Title
    Thanks
    Good point there Johev

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Yeah, I think that's what such a CPU would be useful for. And for (full) media-playback (using software-codecs).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Johev View Post
    For me the better CPU would be mostly welcomed for creating a lower resolution stream, so that we can actually use this remotely over a 3G network
    for this you do not need the faster CPU. The new chip should do reencoding in hardware:-)

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,

for this you do not need the faster CPU. The new chip should do reencoding in hardware:-)

ciao
    At this point I don't care how it is done, as long as I can use it . Right now I have the most powerful dual core CPU (400Mhz) in these Linux boxes (ET9200 SE) and it can not handle it. I think that VU+ ultimo was a huge disappointment, specs wise. It had the same CPU as the Xtrend boxes were using for a long time, the 512/1Gb of RAM/ROM was just strange for me. Why the hell would we need so much ROM and only give us 512Mb of RAM (not that we need more, as I can't use more than 50% most of the times), but it was just strange.

But these boxes sure sound like they could bring something new to the field. And for me a Satellite Box/Stream Server/Media player/Bit torrent client, all in the same box would just be great. Lets hope they won't cost us 900EUR for a dual tuner, as it would make me cry

Title
    Thanks
    for quality i find the duo a superb box with great support and
    for general viewing on the major sats it's fantastic, but not so good on the fringe sats and will go for the v2 duo if the new model of the duo has
    had the tuners up rated, i find the duo is'nt as strong on weak tp's as my dm800se on sats like 7w i get signals between 38 and 48 % on the duo with 800se it's 44 to 51% and similar results on 26e with the dm800se giving stronger signals on a 1.2 dish in the north west of the uk
    Last edited by rumpole; 21-06-12 at 20:23.

Title
    Thanks
    I think the Uno/Ultimo have more sensitive tuners than Solo/Duo. Wonder what v2 ones will be like.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    you cannot compare the percentages of totally different STBs. It is a bit like comparing the fuel consumption without knowing the type of car.

ciao
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
    I think the Uno/Ultimo have more sensitive tuners than Solo/Duo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    you cannot compare the percentages of totally different STBs. It is a bit like comparing the fuel consumption without knowing the type of car.
    Yeah, I also would like to know how he established that.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    from my own experience I would say that tuner of Uno/Ultimo are a bit more sensible then Duo. I found 30-40 more services with Uno/Ultimo than with my Duo. BUT things can change with frequency and bit rate so it may not be valid for all situations.

ciao
    ---

Title
    Thanks
    I think in this case, you can... sort of. My old DM800 had very similar readings on the SNR scale as my Uno. SNR of 30% or more was required for a lock and 34%+ for a stable picture. This was the case for every other Enigma2 based Dreambox I've seen. My friend's DM500HD has exactly the same requirements. So I think it's quire comparable.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    SNR-readings can't be used for comparing different boxes; there's no calibrating whatsoever. And especially the percentage-readings: percentages of what??
    The readings can only be used for comparison between different transponders on the same box (and hence for dish-aligning).

Title
    Thanks
    I realise that the readings between boxes are different - even on the Engima2 family of boxes will have variations.

Percentage of what? Don't know I know that 31% on the Dreambox equals to around 5db of signal above noise and 90% is around 14db. Gives you an idea of what's what.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12