Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Windows Media Video .wmv player Enigma2

Title
    Thanks

Windows Media Video .wmv player Enigma2

Does anyone knows about an Enigma2 player of .wmv video format or do you know about any image for Vu+ uno which support playing .wmv videos.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    The drivers of the VU boxes do not (yet??) support WMV.
    Maybe asking VU (by as many clients as possible) will help.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick replay. maybe we should work on it the hard way and import one of the software codecs used on Linux like FFMPEG
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg
    . It's already available on images like VIX. I'm not really sure if wmv videos works on VIX because i didn't test that when i was testing VIX I'm using VTI right now. Can anybody confirm that wmv videos don't work on VIX too after installing FFmeg or is it just the players that are coded not to see the wmv videos. I remember there was a problem with a .avi which needed a specific codec that wasn't supported by the default codecs available on VIX image that's why i installed FFmpeg and it's plugins from the VIX plugins Menu and the .avi video which wasn't working worked. please explain why can't FFmpeg decode wmv on our receivers ?
    The Broadcom chip BCM7413 we have on Vu+ uno and ultimo
    Code:
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/IPTV/IPTV-Solutions/BCM7413
    doesn't have any built in codecs for playing WMV videos that's why there is no support for that format on the official images yet so there is no choice but to implement a software solution if it's not already there and just needs to be activated.
    Also don't expect to see any software implementation included in the official images of Dreambox or Vu+ because since the chip maker Broadcom didn't buy a license from Microsoft to implement Hardware codecs of WMV videos and WMA in there chip Manufacturers like Dream Multimedia and Vu+ wouldn't bother to pay Microsoft to implement a software solution for a receivers they are already selling. so the support for this format has to come from the community.
    Last edited by laraaj; 13-05-12 at 06:55.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    please do not post live links on the forum, I have edited them out this time.

also as far as i am aware it is not a simple matter of installing software based codecs like you would with a PC, the codecs in these receivers are handled on a hardware level so you must wait for the manufacturer to include support in their hardware drivers.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    A STB has no power to do software-decoding; that's the reason only the codec's that are present in the chipset can be decoded.
    And in this case it's quite simple: the UNO & Ultimo chipsets do support WMV; it's just that the drivers should support it.
    ET uses the same chips, and has recently done that: that's why I suggest to ask VU to do the same.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.