Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: iPhone fire on flight caused by loose screw

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

iPhone fire on flight caused by loose screw

Thermal runaway event was the result of a bad repair.
    In November of last year, a report surfaced about an iPhone that started burning shortly after an Australian flight had landed. A cabin crew member had noticed smoke coming from near a passenger seat during the taxi to the gate after arrival at Sydney. The crew member instructed the passenger to throw the source of the smoke to the middle of the isle, and then discharged a fire extinguisher on it.

The source was identified as an Apple iPhone 4. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) launched an investigation into the incident, which also included the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) in the United States.

The investigation found that the iPhone had been repaired after the screen was damaged, and that repair was not carried out by an authorized service center. At the base of the iPhone is a 30-pin connector, held in place by two screws at either side. The investigators noted that the screw appeared to be missing.

An X-ray carried out on the iPhone showed the missing screw had been misplaced in the battery bay of the iPhone, where it punctured the Lithium-Ion battery casing and caused an internal short circuit. This led to a thermal runaway event - a situation where an increase in temperature influences internal battery conditions in a manner which causes a reaction to further increase the temperature. This process can occur very rapidly and can cause combustion of the battery and surrounding materials.

The report into the incident is criticial of the repair carried out on the iPhone, citing the following issues...

The incident mobile telephone had sustained a thermal runaway event within its lithium-ion battery
    The screw that was found in the battery area had precipitated the incident and was most likely from the 30-pin connector
    One of the screws used to fasten the main circuit board was missing
    Two screws that retained a flexible cable were installed incorrectly (swapped locations)
    The main circuit board flexible cable adhesive was disturbed
    The two liquid contact indicators were missing
    A metal clip near the battery was deformed

The ATSB is citing this incident as proof that devices using Lithium-Ion batteries should be kept in the cabin and not with other cargo during flights.

Code:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/05/07/iphone_fire_on_flight_caused_by_loose_screw
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Ev0 (08-05-12),Sicilian (09-05-12)