Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody tried to scan 28.2 E manually? A horror story

parkher

Anybody tried to scan 28.2 E manually? A horror story

I did the following: created a dummy satellite 28.3, because it is not allowed to have two 28.2 in Duo.
    I also entered that satellite into satellites.xml.
    But without any transponders entered in advance.
    (I want both tuners to have separate 28.2 satellites)

Then I scanned all the transponders manually one-by-one.

Vu+ Duo with PLi makes a mess. Some channels are recognized as data streams,
    and not only they are not allowed to be selected to watch, but also somehow moved to wrong transponders, some transponders deleted, etc.

For example: scanning 11604V gives 7 data streams, I suspect, because this transponder actually has one data stream together with regular channels.

Also the BBCi streams on 12441V are recognized as data streams.

But what is interesting: both 11604V and 12441V do not remain together, the last manually entered and scanned remains, the other transponder disappears.

Even if I convert BBCi channels to TV with DreamSet, when afterwards I scan 11604V, BBCi channels are moved into 11604V and the 12441V transponder is deleted. Which is crazy.
    Perhaps an additional problem is that those streams are named the same, I will try renaming them differently.
    There are more channels wrongly identified as data, and more transponders deleted,
    I am missing 9 or 10 transponders of 60 that are reaching my location.
    I scanned successfully 60, now I have 50 or so, about 10 were deleted by Duo (probably when scanning some other transponders) without informing me about it.

So, it seems that it is better not to scan with Vu+ because the results are unpredictable.
    Better to find good ready-made settings or try making them with an editor.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 249 Posts
    I do a manual scan all the time and to be perfectly honest have no problems so id suggest that you may have a setting wrong somewhere

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    same here never had a problem with manual scan....

why do u scan one transponder after the other. you can just do a network scan and let the box do its job and see the outcome then
    Nobody knows everything. We were born to help and aid each other... That's why we are all here, to share, teach and learn.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    You souldn't need to change the satellites.xml to scan Astra2. Most have been set to scan 28.2 + 28.5. So this covers all sly & freesat channels.

Some TV channels are actually recognised as DATA.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

canthackit (19-08-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    You souldn't need to change the satellites.xml to scan Astra2. Most have been set to scan 28.2 + 28.5. So this covers all sly & freesat channels.

Some TV channels are actually recognised as DATA.
    I think all HD channels are listed as DATA in DreamboxEdit

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guff daddy View Post
    I think all HD channels are listed as DATA in DreamboxEdit
    Yes thats correct, I think the odd one or two are listed as TV.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

parkher
    The problem is not that some channels are listed as data, I can change the type of service to 1 in the editor.
    The main problem is that for some weird reason some channels are moved to different transponders and other transponders are deleted, they are no longer existing is DreamSet.
    I will try to add all the transponders to satellites.xml - perhaps that will help.
    Normally, it is not needed when scanned one-by-one manually.

As to HD channels, most of them have type = 25, which is still indicated as tv and they are available in Duo.
    However, for example, Anytime channels have type = 4 and are indicated as data and are not available in Duo.
    Half of Sky Sports Active channels have type 130, but half are tv with type = 1 - it is ok, because otherwise they are duplicated anyway.
    BBCi all are data with type 130, those need to be manually fixed, otherwise not visible in Duo (unless there is a plugin to launch data channels?)

My main problem is that some transponders disappear and channels are moved during scan to different transponders.
    Again, I will try hardcoding those transponders inside satellites.xml, perhaps it will help?
    I think they are needed there for automatic scan, though.
    When I enter the frequency manually it should not be a problem, and usually is not.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 216 Posts
    TBH it shouldnt be a horror story when scanning Astra 28.2 & Eurobird 28.5 East
    It does take approx 5-10 mins to scan a satellite

Why dont you download one of the e2 settings file from here
    http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/foru...gma-2-Settings
    & using Dreamset program edit out what you dont want or need

Also if your transponder list isnt up to date then when your box scans it will miss out certain channels

Using Dreamset program SD TV channels are classed as 1, Radio are 2 & HD TV channels as 25

Check out the King of Sat website to find out most recent changes to broadcasting over Europe

Guys such as myself spend hours updating channels, pids, etc for all channels receivable across Europe so its easier for folk to receive & watch TV

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catseye For This Useful Post:

grtmoby (19-08-10),zappahey (23-08-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    and your efforts are highly appreciated catseye
    Nobody knows everything. We were born to help and aid each other... That's why we are all here, to share, teach and learn.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grtmoby For This Useful Post:

catseye (20-08-10)

parkher
    Previously I was scanning manually - manually entering frequencies and all the parameters.
    Now I tried the original satellites.xml (as found in the PLi image of vuplus-support.co.uk)
    and satellites xml file generated by fastsatfinders.com on 2010-08-14

Results:

original: 773/733 (first/second scan) - HD channels not found, those transponders are emty and not in DreamSet
    fastsat: 710/683 (first/second scan) - HD channels are also not included, some 5/6 channels were scanned as 7/8, wrong FEC

for some reason, when scanning the 2nd time, the number of found services is lower, even though I chose to clear before scanning.

Anyway I will try to import ready made settings, but I now will go through the transponders in satellites.xml and update them in that file, and try scanning again.
    I see that pilot and rolloff columns are not in satellites.xml, could I perhaps add them? I guess, pilot is working well with "automatic", so absent - means automatic? And absent rolloff means 0.35 or what?
    However, because HD channels not found, perhaps nothing is working, and those things should be added to satellites.xml

As to the wrong FEC values in fastsatfinders satellites.xml, they are 5 for 4/5, the original file uses 4.

Actually: for dvb-s2 the numbers in Duo are as follows:

1/2
    2/3
    3/4
    3/5
    4/5
    5/6
    7/8
    8/9
    9/10

and for DBV-S:

1/2
    2/3
    3/4
    5/6
    7/8
    NONE
    Auto

So clearly, 4 is the correct number for DBV-S (as in the original)
    but for DBV-S2 different numbers should be entered, because there are more options, or what?
    The same 5/6 for dbv-s2 would be 6, not 4 nor 5.

I am assuming, if system=1, then different numbering for FEC sholud be used in satellites.xml ?

parkher
    catseye,
    I looked at your 75E - 58W, not for 28E, but just to see what is in it, and it is badly missing the most important channels, just as KOS does - this site does not include anything I need from 36E, for example.
    This is an excellent satellite for tennis - russians have their own tennis channel there, and also show grand slams on 2-3 channels simultaneously. Some good HD sports channels, russian and ukrainian.
    Unfortunately, all the transponders with circular polarization are missing in your settings (as missing on KOS website), only V/H are included and they are perhaps for Africa, signal = 0 in not-so-northern part of Europe (55 degrees N)
    Actually, I can receive all the way to 90E, but not sure how far west my dish can go. I got ok signal from 34W, but further west I cannot find something (not feeds) to lock onto.
    I think that my H-H motor gives 150 degrees and therefore should go approximately from 90E to 60 W, and in the case that it goes further east than 90 (also nothing to test with?) then correspondingly less west.
    Anyway, 90E - 34W confirmed

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Personally I think you over complicating a simple scan.

I would send some Engima2 settings/bouquets to your Duo using dreamboxedit.

Settings here: -

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/foru...gma-2-Settings Try either the Catseyes or VU+ Support settings. Guide here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/show...o-using-DBEdit

Now once you've got a fresh satellite.xml just scan if you really want to using these settings: -

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

parkher
    I now made my own satellite.xml for 28.2 E - I made it by looking at lyngsat data. Scanning found all HD channels (for the 1st time found any!) , but still, on many transponders found nothing while manually when scanning just that one transponder, services are found:
    Missing transponders - number of services should have been found:

11307H - 15
    11389H - 18
    11469H - 16
    11565V - 9
    11585H - 8
    11604V - 7
    11642V - 10
    11662H - 15
    11681V - 31
    12110H - 15
    12188H - 14
    12285V - 18

Other than that, everything is ok, only have to change some channels from data to tv.

I see that catseye have many transponders duplicated, some of them are entered in satellites.xml 4 times with all values exactly the same.
    And dispersed through the file, not together.
    Perhaps it is done on purpose.
    Next I will try his file, but I need to update it, 3 or more transponders are now dvb-s2, compared to his latest file with dvb-s, etc.

parkher
    Ok, so I duplicated those missing transponders inside satellites.xml added them at the end and even at the beginning - and they were scanned - as the scan progressed, I saw that those channels (at least some of them) were found.
    But at the end of the scan - nothing - again they were deleted.
    I also tried moving HD in front, it seemed to me that afterwards everything was ok, but no - again at the end those transponders gone.
    I cannot suspect that there is some garbage in those transponder lines, because they are actually scanned successfully, only later deleted.
    And the number of found services is always the same - 546.

I don't know if it can be explained by some invisible garbage in the satellites.xml file, but it is getting interesting.
    Perhaps I can scan this file, and afterwards scan those missing transponders one-by-one manually and this way get good settings.
    Worth trying, because there are only 12 of them - interesting if after scanning them they will also disappear, or some others will disappear or what.

parkher
    OK, so I scanned the missing ones manually one-by-one, and some other transponders were deleted instead. The number of transponders with services present remained constant.
    So then I merged both sets together and finally have all of them - all the transponders and all the services together in a single set.

Still, there has to be a bug in Enigma2?

Not yet tested if the whole set will be accepted in Duo, first have to change types to tv and rename where needed. Many data streams and numbers instead of channel names.
    Last edited by parkher; 20-08-10 at 03:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast