Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Black Pole project ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts

What is Black Pole project ?

Black Pole stands for: Black P(li)ole

Given the great work Pli is doing on e2 sources and openembedded, the Black Hole team have decided to accompany these images on an experimental project based on the Pli git.

General:
    The Black Pole project is fully Open Source and accessible to all.
    The source can be found at: https://github.com/BlackPole and on this board we will be provide the makefile, to make sure that anyone can compile the image alone, experiment with new solutions, add to and perhaps propose patches and enhancements. Only Vu plus boxes are supported.

Although the images externally "Black Hole" and "Black Pole" may seem similar, with the same structure,skin panels and, in reality the two images are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND STRUCTURALLY have a totally different target.

Features:
    The image Black Pole is derived from Pli git and includes all the features from it.
    - Better handling of the media with continuous work to expand the formats recognized and make an easy to use media player and movie player.
    - Streaming internal server.
    - Support for IPTV with the possibility to add the channels directly in IPTV Bouquet.
    - Advanced management of subtitles in a large number of possible settings and customizations.
    - Auto language or automatic selection of the language set as precisely as possible where there are subtitles.
    - Continuous updates in real time through custom feeds directly from the vuplus community server.
    - Compatibility with existing Black Hole addons.

Target:
    As we all know the Black Hole images are especially oriented to being user-friendly and the most complete package with the presence of numerous panels and features that allow users to directly manage resources of the system.
    The target of the Black Pole images are totally different. The Black Pole images are "essential" no frills and updated, developed exclusively to meet the criteria of speed, performance and stability.
    The Black Pole images do not contain all the interior panels of BH images, but does still include all the services.
    There is no multiboot support in BP and no panels for telnet or cron.
    But you can still use all the services in BP such as openvpn, nfsserver etc. ..

Basically we think that the Black Pole images are more suitable for advanced users and experts who can also play around with the source and configurations.

In conclusion it is important to clarify that BH and BP are two completely different images and dedicated in a structured manner to a different target.
    DO NOT ASK TO ADD INTO BH, FEATURES THAT ARE PRESENT IN BP OR VICE VERSA BECAUSE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.
    Apart from differences in structure the thing would go against the different nature and the target of two different projects.

Special Thanks to Pli team and expecially to pieterg Milo and hemertje for their support and for the big work they are making for all us.
    Thanks to Skaman (Sif) andyblac (Vix) e plnick (Vti) for their friendly support and suggestions.
    Last edited by bassethound; 31-03-12 at 08:33.
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Artells (08-04-12),harryoz (02-04-12),head44 (05-04-12),kegrka (04-04-13),Larry-G (31-03-12),Rob van der Does (01-04-12),rossi2000 (02-04-12),share (31-03-12),Sicilian (31-03-12),sooty (01-04-12),spearmintone (09-04-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (31-03-12),Delagroov (31-03-12),Mr. Mister (31-03-12),Sicilian (31-03-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Interesting..I will give it a try on second ultimo
    Vu+ Solo2 , Gigablue UHD Trio4k+500GB
    Astra 1,2,3
    Samsung 55Q67R 4k TV
    Logitech Harmony Elite, Harmony Touch

Title
    Thanks
    Well at the moment its basically an OpenPLi image with another skin & some user interface phrases changed.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raitsa View Post
    Well at the moment its basically an OpenPLi image with another skin & some user interface phrases changed.
    It's still very very early days and no doubt a lot of development will be done to update and upgrade the image as they see fit in due course.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Clabs (07-04-12),Donnie (31-03-12),Ev0 (31-03-12)

Title
    Thanks
    screenshots ? et5000 support ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    this is a good thing guys

now BH will have to allow merging with PLi and then inturn we can merge too and get the DTT and Wifi Drivers that Angleofsky does

seems to me a good move even though BH aint got a sence of team
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    downloaded it but not tried it yet. Can only be a good thing to have more images/teams working on our boxes...
    still doubt I'd leave VIX though.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpschouten View Post
    screenshots ? et5000 support ?
    no there only support Vu hardware at present.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    this is a good thing guys

now BH will have to allow merging with PLi and then inturn we can merge too and get the DTT and Wifi Drivers that Angleofsky does

seems to me a good move even though BH aint got a sence of team
    yes this image is completely open source however you have to remember this is a side project for them as BH is their main concern.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    looks interesting, might try a build later

although as someone said earlier, having looked at the source, id say its quite abit more than just an openpli image with another skin etc.
    theyve done quite abit of work in there.

Title
    Thanks
    thanks!
    support for ET9x00?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by head44 View Post
    thanks!
    support for ET9x00?

The BlackHole team do not support any hardware other than the Vu line of receivers, and seeing as BP is a BlackHole project i cant see that changing any time soon.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Have given the Black Pole image a quick try-out. Great picture quality and very impressed. However, I won't be sticking with it for now as it would NOT mount my HDD properly. I initialized it and set it to Ext4 using Black Pole, but I when I used the mount manager to set the mount points for my HDD and USB, the box would ask for a re-start as normal but it didn't save the mountpoints. It also wrongly displayed the free space on my HDD, but that could be down to the mount issue. Secondly there is no built-in plugin or extension for backing up a complete image.

Hopefully the next version will address these issues, as I was very impressed apart from the points I mentioned.

GAH

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    In my humble opinion BH users do not fully appreciate OpenPLi advantages over original VU+ and Dreambox enigma.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSkulRide For This Useful Post:

harryoz (07-04-12),Larry-G (07-04-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Give it 6 months and it will be every good as BlackHole but with OpenPli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast