Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Proliant Microserver

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Yes thats correct, you have to do it that way because Raid requires that the Parity drive is the same size or bigger than your largest single drive in the system.
    You could not bother with Raid and just use flexraid to pool the drives to give you 6TB total space.
    Just remember that Raid is not a substitute for a good backup regime

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
    Yes thats correct, you have to do it that way because Raid requires that the Parity drive is the same size or bigger than your largest single drive in the system.
    You could not bother with Raid and just use flexraid to pool the drives to give you 6TB total space.
    Just remember that Raid is not a substitute for a good backup regime
    Yes you are right if 2 drives where to fail them you would be screwed.

I may consider just doing a raid 1. First start with 2 x 2tbs - gives me 2tb of storage. Then buy another 2 x 2tb later and add them.

Title
    Thanks
    I am trying to install WHS2011 but am struggling. I'm installing using external usb dvd drive and all seems ok but then all of a sudden it just hangs and crashes at this screen:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6039/imag0235j.jpg

If I do a cold boot it starts up again going through the install process then again it crashes at this screen:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/imag0236xl.jpg

I'm a little stuck and don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Title
    Thanks
    It's ok. I got it to work. Re-flashed bios to stock as I was using a hacked one and now it installed fine.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    The problem you will have now you are back on stock BIOS is you will not be able to use the ODD slot in full SATA mode and if you reflash the BIOS after installing windows you will have a nightmare getting it to run if you put the OS drive in the ODD bay, it is possible to do it that way though and there are a couple of tutorials somewhere.
    Also assuming your C: drive is not fitted to the ODD slot Windows will have now claimed one of your other 4 drives as the OS drive and partitioned it as C: and D: it is now not a good idea to add drive D: to your drivepool/RAID if the OS fails and has to be reinstalled you have then lost one of the DRU's because on reinstall Windows will repartion it causing any data to be lost including the PPU data held for the Parity drive needed for a RAID rebuild.
    This also means that your storage drives will now be down to 2 drives as you cannot store data on the parity drive either
    Last edited by Maxwell; 01-04-12 at 17:43.

Title
    Thanks
    i am using Unraid and its really good as well. Never have to touch it just works.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
    The problem you will have now you are back on stock BIOS is you will not be able to use the ODD slot in full SATA mode and if you reflash the BIOS after installing windows you will have a nightmare getting it to run if you put the OS drive in the ODD bay, it is possible to do it that way though and there are a couple of tutorials somewhere.
    Also assuming your C: drive is not fitted to the ODD slot Windows will have now claimed one of your other 4 drives as the OS drive and partitioned it as C: and D: it is now not a good idea to add drive D: to your drivepool/RAID if the OS fails and has to be reinstalled you have then lost one of the DRU's because on reinstall Windows will repartion it causing any data to be lost including the PPU data held for the Parity drive needed for a RAID rebuild.
    This also means that your storage drives will now be down to 2 drives as you cannot store data on the parity drive either
    Understood. Problem now is that not sure which bios hack is the correct one I need?

Or I could leave it as stock. It's only the O/S running on this drive...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12