Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Hard Drive Upgrade?

Title
    Thanks

Hard Drive Upgrade?

Whats the best method of upgrading my receiver hard drive without loosing anything?

Receiver ET9000, Running latest vix image.

Title
    Thanks
    If it was me, I like starting things like that clean, and use the opportunity to tidy everything up, so I would probably.

Backup my settings, image, picons, etc...
    Attach USB media or mount a network drive, and copy all backups and recorded media over.
    Replace the HD
    Then either:
    1) Restore settings, picons and any lost config
    or
    2) Set up everything again nice and clean.

Then copy back anything I really wanted i.e. recorded movies/tv/etc...

*IIRC most settings and config is store internally in flash, its only your recorded programs, epg data, swap, and picons which are stored on you HD unless you've setup a flash drive to hold some of that. (unless your running some extra plugins that store data on the HD)

*I'll try and confirm this when I get home! So don't quote me yet!!
    Last edited by tsx; 12-01-12 at 17:27.

Title
    Thanks
    I would look at taking an image of your existing drive and deploy it on your newer bigger drive..

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah that's pretty much it on the HD, the only other stuff on mine was the valerie folder, and obviously the timeshift folder.

imaging the drive I guess is a very doable way to do it, if you have the set up.

(I finally got rid of all of my desktops, never thought I would... and just live with my tablets, laptops and servers now, so no easy way of connecting sata drives without purchasing some adapters)

Title
    Thanks
    That's what I was wondering whether I could take my existing image and do a one to one copy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Unless the software you use has the option, I guess you would then need to extend the partition using something like gparted, so as to use all the space the new HD gives you.