_57738766_suarez.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says there is "no need" for peace talks ahead of his team's home clash with Liverpool on 11 February

Liverpool want a board-level meeting with United to restore harmony following the Luis Suarez affair.

But Ferguson said: "I do not see why there is any need for it."

FIXTURES SUAREZ WILL MISS
Continue reading the main story
3 Jan: Man City (Premier League)
6 Jan: Oldham (FA Cup R3)
11 Jan: Man City (League Cup)
14 Jan: Stoke (Premier League)
21 Jan: Bolton (Premier League)
25 Jan: Man City (League Cup)
28 Jan: FA Cup R4 (if Liverpool beat Oldham)
31 Jan: Wolves (Premier League)
6 Feb: Tottenham (Premier League, if Liverpool lose to Oldham)

The Old Trafford match is likely to be Suarez's first away match after his eight-game ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra.

The Uruguay striker faces severe treatment at Old Trafford and Liverpool want to reduce the offensive chants Suarez is likely to endure.

When questioned at the club's press conference on Friday on reports that Liverpool would like peace talks, Ferguson said: "It is nice of them to do it through the press.

"You would have thought they would come to Manchester United first. I do not see why there is any need for it but I have nothing to say about it."

Relations between the two clubs have been at a low ebb and, while accepting the punishment of Suarez, Liverpool were unhappy with the decision.

After Suarez issued an apology - though not to Evra - for any offence his use of the word "negro" may have caused, Liverpool want to build bridges with United but are continuing discussions with the FA over an investigation process they believe was flawed.

United have said little on the entire matter, other than questioning Liverpool's public statements prior to the hearing.