Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: French TNT TV, BIS and other stuff

Title
    Thanks

Question French TNT TV, BIS and other stuff

So I'm interested to read here about the free French TNT service which wasn’t there last time I looked. Apparenty you have to get a dedicated box and card. I see one French dealer is offering an "Aston Simba TNT sat HD digital satellite receiver" and a "Sagem DTR 94160S HD Satellite and PVR Receiver".

Has anyone got any experience with any of these TNT HD receivers?

I see it seems to be a 19°E service at present limited for 4 years after activation. There seems to be a suggestion that you can also get it (including the HD channels) for an unrestricted time from 5°W but I'm not sure I’ve got that right. Anyone know?

I ordered a BIS card a few days ago to go in my fixed dish array system (19°E, 13°E, 28°E) which operates on an old Force receiver. According to something I received from the French dealer, on BIS - "Nous tenons cependant à vous informer que l'opérateur BIS a pris la décision, afin d'améliorer son contenu tant au niveau de la qualité que du nombre de chaînes, de transmettre ses programmes via Hot Bird au format MPEG4 et ce à partir du 1/01/11. Si vous recevez BIS via Atlantic Bird 3 à 5°ouest, vous pourrez continuer à utiliser votre récepteur MPEG2 DVBS.
    A ce titre nous vous prions de bien vouloir vérifier la compatibilité de votre récepteur avec le standard MPEG2/4 DVBS et DVBS2."

I hear that people have been having trouble with French channel TF1 very recently but maybe that's not a problem with a pucka Viacess CAM of recent vintage?

I think I'm going to add a 5°W 80cm to my fixed dish array if it can be physically done here. I guess I'd use a twin LNB and with one going into the Force Disecq (sp?) switch and one coming all the way in for possible use on one of these TNT receivers or alternatively an old analogue receiver though I keep hearing the 5W analogue service is to go - always "soon". Or maybe a quad LNB so that two could go to one of these TNT boxes...

The other matter is that I want to revive my old 1.2m motorised Unicorn for which I just ordered a Technomate 8000 and a V box. I'm hoping that receiver was a good decision? (It used to be driven by an Echostar LT which broke.) I’m getting that professionally installed as I don't trust my level of expertise with it.

Title
    Thanks
    Also (after the 30 minute edit limit) anyone used FRANSAT?

Mr.McGee
    Hi Simon,

Sorry I don't have any experience with the receivers, but some information for you should you try to use the card in a Linux based box.
    I bought one of the analogue TNTSat receivers from Darty (like Curries for example).
    I bought it with the intention of using the card in my now retired DM800HD. It required activation using the original receiver but after this I was able to run it in the 800 using CCCam 2.1.4 and adding a few lines in the config file to enable the HD channels (6 channels I believe). All worked well up to a few weeks ago when the encryption was changed. Now nothing clears anymore with the card. Apparently the card still works in the original receivers so there are some people waiting on a 2.1.5 release of CCCam in the hope that they can fix the "problem".

It's a bit of a dose really as my other half is French and it would be handy for her if the TNTSat HD channels were clearing with the card.

Forgot to add that when I went to buy the receiver they asked for an address but as we don't live in France we didn't give one. I presume this has to do with a card being sent out in the post if/when they decide to change to a new system or extend your activation period.
    Last edited by Mr.McGee; 19-08-10 at 13:03.