Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Anyone found a 5400 rpm drive too slow; anyone really thrashed one and found it OK?

Title
    Thanks

Question Anyone found a 5400 rpm drive too slow; anyone really thrashed one and found it OK?

I have a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm drive in my Duo and I'm finding the noise a bit annoying. Some of it may be resonance of something in my cabinet, but I'm considering putting a 5400 rpm drive in instead.

I'm concerned that the slower drive may not be able to cope with recording multiple events while also doing background file transfers, etc.

I've had a browse and a search through the forum and I can't find anything definitive on this. There are lots of people reporting success with 5400 rpm drives, but how hard are they being worked?

So - has anybody really thrashed their 5400 rpm drive, and if so, how did it fare?

Thanks!

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    If your going to go with a slower driver I'd get a 2.5" sata.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    What's would the advantages be with a 2.5" drive?
    Is the track density higher on them making the average seek time lower or something?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    I have used Samsungs F2/F3/F4 and found that the F2 to be the best in my duo/et9000 runs really quiet and spins up really quick compared to the F3/F4
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    2.5 drives are quieter use less power and produce far less heat than their 3.5 counterparts.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    Spin-up time isn't a big factor for me, but I guess if it only has to get to 5400, it is going to do it faster than if it has to get to 7200. Maybe that's an advantage for a 2.5" drive too - lower (umm what's the property I want) - moment of inertia?

How hard have you had the F2 working without problems?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    2.5 drives are quieter use less power and produce far less heat than their 3.5 counterparts.
    Over and above their being 5400 rather than 7200? OK - I didn't know that. Maybe it is that 'moment of inertia' thing - the platters have less mass and have it at a smaller average distance from the centre of rotation. (Wish I'd listened in physics class!)

But yeah - I know I'll get power/heat and noise advantages, but my concern is that a 5400 rpm drive just won't be able to handle the work load when push comes to shove. Any ideas about that?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    Not had any problems with my F2 in a couple of boxes recording and play back with no problems all so runs very quiet

had a 2TB samsung F4 die a few months back in my duo but been using the F2 on and off with my duo and et9000 for nearly 2 years with no problems
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    I have a Seagate 2.5' 5400rpm drive in my duo. I have absolutly no problem with disk access bandwith.
    I have recorded 4 differents programs at the same time with no problem.
    I like 2.5' drive because they are quiet and use less power so less heat is produced by the HD an the power supply.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsmirsat For This Useful Post:

polomora (19-10-12),xarqi (06-12-11)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    There are special DVR-drives: 3.5" HDD's running at 5400RPM, spinning up fast and low on power consumption (and hence in heat production) and cheaper then 2.5 "drives. You won't hear them.
    I'm using a Samsung, but other brands make them too.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    Not had any problems with my F2 in a couple of boxes recording and play back with no problems...
    Thanks. What's the most simultaneous recordings have you made? HD or SD?
    I'd probably peak at 2 HD + 2 SD + file transfer. With my 7200 rpm drive I have recorded 1 HD + 4 SD events simultaneously I believe, but when I tried 6, I ended up with a lot of empty files. I don't think that was a drive issue though, but a firmware one.

I'm trying to get a handle on the ability of 5400 rpm drives to handle heavy loading. I know there are advantages to 5400 drives, but none of them matter a toss if the drive won't actually do the business.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lsmirsat View Post
    I have a Seagate 2.5' 5400rpm drive in my duo. I have absolutly no problem with disk access bandwith.
    I have recorded 4 differents programs at the same time with no problem.
    Thanks. That's the sort of experience I'd like to hear more about from others too, successful or not.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Bandwidth is never a problem for any HDD in a DVR, not even when recording 6 HD-streams and watching another.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

xarqi (07-12-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Bandwidth is never a problem for any HDD in a DVR, not even when recording 6 HD-streams and watching another.
    Thanks for a definitive and authoritative answer. It looks like I'll have the option of going to a 5400 rpm drive.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I recently bought this 1.5TB Samsung for €62 and it does a great job. But as I said other manufacturers also provide this kind of HDD's (and I know prices have gone up quite a bit).