Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: iOS bug puts your data at risk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

iOS bug puts your data at risk

If you think your iPhone is safe because of Apple's closed door policy on its operating system, think again.

A notorious Apple hacker has said a bug in iOS lets someone steal your photos, contacts, and even lets them send texts from your handset without you knowing. Feel quite so secure now?

Android is known as less secure because of its open source nature. But Charlie Miller, researcher at Accuvant and well-known Apple hacker, told CNN Apple's App Store isn't anywhere near as safe as believed.

"Until now, you could just blindly trust and download as many apps as you wanted and not worry about it," he said. "But until they fix this, you really should think twice about any apps you're downloading, because they could be malicious."

Miller told Apple; Apple replied a fix was in the works, and banned him from the iOS developer program for a year, according to Miller. He hasn't given exact details of the bug, as ne'er-do-wells could take advantage, but he does plan to show how it works at a security conference in Taiwan.

If said ne'er-do-wells were to find the security flaw, they could install malicious code through any app onto the device. This would let them steal your contacts, photos, and even let them send texts without you knowing. Which may well raise a few eyebrows among your friends.

Apple checks each app before approving for the App Store, keeping it free from malware. And it is still more secure than Android Market, Miller said. "I'm very happy with the way (Apple has) designed the system to prevent malware. It's really the ideal situation."

Though he was a little annoyed about being blocked from the developer program. "I think it's pretty rude," he said. "If you think about what I'm doing -- I'm pointing out a flaw that would affect everybody and that the bad guys could use to install malware. And they're not paying me, I'm just doing it to be nice."

Code:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/ios-bug-puts-your-data-at-risk-50005986/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (15-11-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    thats apple all over

ungreatfull gits
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    I would call it standard Apple arrogance,they think there untouchable and they expect use to be grateful for what they throw at use.