Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: iPhone 4S battery fault could be location services bug

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

iPhone 4S battery fault could be location services bug

Is your iPhone 4S battery running down much quicker than previous models? A flaw in the location service system in iOS5 could be to blame, the Guardian reports.

It seems your phone is accessing your phone's location even when there's no need for it to do so, and you've not asked it to. The Setting Time Zone option in Systems Services within Location Services seems to be operating, even when you've not travelled to a different time zone. Hmm.

If you can see a purple arrow next to the service, it may well be accessing your location repeatedly, sapping your handset's battery life. "A purple location services icon will appear next to an item that is currently using your location," is how the Apple menu describes it.

Switch off the Settings Time Zone function, and your phone won't update to a new time zone when you travel to a different country. But considering most of us don't go jet-setting every day, and we're capable of switching it on when we do, it's a small price to pay for extending your 4S's battery to more than 12 hours on a full charge. That's the sentiment of Oliver Haslam over on iDownload, quoted in the Guardian.

This is far from concrete evidence, however, with some 4S owners reporting no problems at all. Though the problem is widespread enough for Apple's engineers to be phoning up customers to ask them about usage, and try to offer potential fixes.

It might not be as huge a problem as antennagate, which plagued the iPhone 4's launch (and Steve Jobs thought was a Google smear), but it's an issue nonetheless. Smart phone batteries die soon enough in our experience, we don't need anything shortening them further.

Have you had any issues with your iPhone 4S battery? What's worked as a solution for you? Let us know in the comments below

Code:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-4s-battery-fault-could-be-location-services-bug-50005865/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

johno (31-10-11),Sicilian (31-10-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Funny that the jailbreak community had a for the PDF exploit before apple and the location service also has a fix with latest Cydia

And that's why we jailbreak lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    yes quite a few features on IOS were either first created by the jailbreak community or fixed by those same devs while apple always said it was impossible.

nice way to see more hardware by telling people that features will only work on certain hardware versions.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.