Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Smart Cover security flaw for any iPad 2 using iOS5

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Smart Cover security flaw for any iPad 2 using iOS5

First Siri starts doling out personal info when your phone is locked, now comes an even bigger security oversight in iOS5 for iPad 2 owners.

Anyone with a Smart Cover can get into your iPad 2, reports 9to5Mac, even if you've been careful and locked it with a password. That sound you hear is a thousand Apple programmers facepalming at once.

Here's how it works: if you've locked your iPad 2 with a password, just hold the Power button to take the device to the power down page, but don't slide the bar to shut it down. Instead, pull the Smart Cover over the screen, open it up again, and click Cancel, and you'll be taken to the homepage, or last web page or app you were using when you locked the device.

Bad news, especially if you lose your iPad after locking it with a confidential message open.

Whoever uses the Smart Cover won't have full access to your device, as they won't be able to unlock it, but will be able to use the program you were using, or if on the homepage, play media and adjust settings.

However, there is a solution. Go to Settings>General and disable Smart Cover Unlocking, and you should be fine. It's a temporary get out, let's hope Apple has a proper fix on the way.

On Thursday it was revealed Siri can be told to carry out actions on your behalf by anyone while the handset is locked. Just hold down the Home button and start speaking, and it'll do as you say; send a text, email, anything. Not very secure, though again you can disable it in the Settings.

What do you think of iOS5's security? Flawed, or tighter than Fort Knox? Or somewhere in between?

Code:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/smart-cover-security-flaw-for-any-ipad-2-using-ios5-50005758/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    haha so much for this pants ios 5
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓