Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Watch Siri run on an iPhone 4

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Watch Siri run on an iPhone 4

If you were a little let down by the iPhone 4S, but do like the look of its Siri voice-controlled assistant, then we have some very good news for you: someone has got Siri working on their iPhone 4!

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has ported Siri to his iPhone 4, reports 9to5Mac, and while there are still some teething issues, it looks pretty impressive.

Obviously it's not sanctioned by Apple, and will require a jailbroken iPhone 4… and it still won't look up local services in the UK. But still, think of the money you'll save on a new iPhone 4S.

You can see it in action here. It'll recognise spoken commands in both standard Siri view and keyboard Dictation view, but Apple isn't keen on this kind of jiggery pokery with its hardware, so isn't authenticating commands to its servers from an iPhone 4. So US users carrying out the hack won't be able to look up local services using Siri; a bit like being in the UK, then.

Siri on the iPhone 4 does run a little sluggishly though. Apparently that's down to a special GPU driver needed.

So looks like there's no technical reason Apple can't bring Siri to the iPhone 4. The hardware supports it, and the A4 processor is (just) fast enough. The only reason could be it doesn't run quite as slick as on the iPhone 4S. That or Apple knows customers need more of an incentive to upgrade to the 4S than a slightly quicker processor, bigger hard drive and improved camera.

Siri can't look up local information in the UK yet, because Apple doesn't have a deal with a UK-based info provider, which is a bit of a bummer. So at the moment UK 4S owners are stuck with questions about the weather and suchlike.

Would you like to see Siri brought to the iPhone 4? Let us know

Code:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/watch-siri-run-on-an-iphone-4-50005656/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (16-10-11)