Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Receiver advice please?

Title
    Thanks

Receiver advice please?

Hi there,

I was hoping for a bit of advice on purchasing a receiver...

I already purchased a clone dm800hd, it arrived broken so I have been put off buying anything like that again. I have since been looking at a spiderbox hd9000, a Technomate TM-800 HD or just forgetting the functionality these provide and getting a plain inexpensive fta receiver.

The spiderbox seemed perfect as I noticed a lot of people saying it pretty easy to use for beginners but I also read that people expect support for it to stop at some stage and the creator to move onto something new. So it comes down to this, if the support for the spiderbox stops, will it continue to function as a fta receiver?

Apologies if i've said anything stupid above, i'm new to this. Any help or advice would be appreciated

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This will depend on your budget and viewing requirements IE do you want High def ? if so i would buy either the TM800 or in my opinion i would advise you go for the VU Solo from our sponsor because as you can see here the support is second to none for the VU's and our sponsor will look after you to with any problems you may have in the future (warranty period) with your purchase, on the other hand if you don't want High Def then there is a whole plethora of choices out there.

Don't forget to post and introduce yourself in the relevant forum.
    Vu+Ultimo + Vu-Solo 1.1mtr Alloy dish + 60cm fixed, TM HH motor, hate footy LOVE motor-sport.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paul362 For This Useful Post:

Moo (30-06-10),Retired member (30-06-10),Sicilian (30-06-10)

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    Just to add though as regards to the support for the Spiderbox coming to an end, there is absolutely no reason to suggest this will be the case, I'm afraid in this satellite business there are so many things go on behind the scenes, no one knows for sure what's going to happen, of course one day, some day, of course support will stop but I don't see this being anytime soon.... But even if the worst did happen then yes of course your Spiderbox would work great still as a FTA HD receiver, it'll also allow a lot more than a FTA receiver, support or no support, if I didn't think they were worth having we wouldn't sell them ourselves, so please don't worry about what you may have read elsewhere....

That said the other obvious one to look at as already mentioned is the VU+ SOLO just is just out, have a read up of the bosses unbiased review in the SOLO section, any questions on this or the Spiderbox feel free to post if they've not already been answered

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retired member For This Useful Post:

grtmoby (30-06-10),Moo (30-06-10),Sicilian (30-06-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    just to make things a bit easier, here is the review link ********* mentioned above

Code:
    http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1106-Review-of-VU-Solo-Enigma-2-Linux-receiver
    i'd say too, go for the solo
    Nobody knows everything. We were born to help and aid each other... That's why we are all here, to share, teach and learn.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grtmoby For This Useful Post:

Moo (30-06-10),Sicilian (30-06-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul362 View Post
    This will depend on your budget and viewing requirements IE do you want High def ? if so i would buy either the TM800 or in my opinion i would advise you go for the VU Solo from our sponsor because as you can see here the support is second to none for the VU's and our sponsor will look after you to with any problems you may have in the future (warranty period) with your purchase, on the other hand if you don't want High Def then there is a whole plethora of choices out there.

Don't forget to post and introduce yourself in the relevant forum.
    thanks, I will do

I looked at the solo but I can remember someone saying its a little underpowered with the CPU and a bit slow to respond to channel changes and stuff. Aside from that £299 is a bit too much for me, I was thinking £250 maximum

HD is the reason I wanted freesat, then I looked into it and realised the other possibilities with these sorts of boxes

Title
    Thanks
    thanks guys it gonna be either the spiderbox or the solo then, aside from the support is there any other reason I should spend the extra 100 on the solo?

suppose I might as well ask here, how much is the extra charge to post to NI?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    That will be a question for Sic or ********* as far as comparisons ! all i can say is I have owned Dm's and IpBoxes amongst others in the past and Now i have my VU+ duo I would not swop back for any of the mentioned boxes, the picture quality and build quality of my duo is second to none.
    Vu+Ultimo + Vu-Solo 1.1mtr Alloy dish + 60cm fixed, TM HH motor, hate footy LOVE motor-sport.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paul362 For This Useful Post:

Moo (30-06-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul362 View Post
    That will be a question for Sic or ********* as far as comparisons ! all i can say is I have owned Dm's and IpBoxes amongst others in the past and Now i have my VU+ duo I would not swop back for any of the mentioned boxes, the picture quality and build quality of my duo is second to none.
    i'm almost convinced now

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    The delivery question.... It's FREE Euro wide delivery on the SOLO at the moment, it'll cost you £18 delivery on the Spiderbox to Northern Ireland, sorry sounds a lot I know but that's cost price, will be sent by DHL in both cases and full tracking information is provided. Got the SOLO and both Spiderbox in stock and ready to go.... Order before 12 noon for same day despatch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Retired member For This Useful Post:

Moo (30-06-10)

Title
    Thanks
    cool, thanks. its not that bad i've seen worse.

i'll have a think about it tonight, thanks for the advice everyone

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No probs m8 what ever you decide we are all here to help with any questions you may have.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to paul362 For This Useful Post:

Moo (30-06-10)

Title
    Thanks

Thumbs up

vu+ solo it is

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Moo For This Useful Post:

Retired member (01-07-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    vu+ solo it is
    congratulaaaaaaaaaaaaations
    Nobody knows everything. We were born to help and aid each other... That's why we are all here, to share, teach and learn.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

21. The Following User Says Thank You to grtmoby For This Useful Post:

Moo (01-07-10)

Title
    Thanks
    thanks, strangely the remote helped me make my mind up.

have you seen the remotes with dreamboxes, possibly the ugliest thing ever!