PDA

View Full Version : HD Recording Issue

Hadesuk
27-01-11, 20:52
Hello all,

Hoping for a little advice. I have a nice new shiny VU+ with the ViX image installed and loving it to bits. But the only thing thats being a bit stubborn is HD recording, SD recording works fine, although I do still have an issue with Timeshifting.
I'm guessing this is to do with drive speed but I have now tried several USB externals and even a BIG flash drive. None of which have been able to record HD without massive glitching.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Is it just down to HDD speeds and I should just go buy the caddy Sic did?

Hoping for a bit of advice before I spend needless cash.

Hadesuk

Sicilian
27-01-11, 22:08
Are you using a USB stick or USB HDD? If USB HDD did you initialize the drive in Menu > System > Setup > Hard Drive > Initialize?

Hadesuk
27-01-11, 22:38
I have tried both types of drive, and yes I followed your little howto to the letter in all instances.

As I say standard def records just fine. I've even made sure it's loading the usb2 driver in dmesg which it is......
Just a little stumped what else can be causing the issue.

HadesUK

Richy-G
27-01-11, 22:54
edit : doesn't matter just realised this is for solo not duo

Sicilian
28-01-11, 07:46
Does the USB HDD have its own PSU?

Hadesuk
28-01-11, 11:18
Yes, all drives I have tried excepting the USB flash/thumb stick have had external power supplies.

We have about 6-7 externals kicking round our house and I have fully cleaned off and formatted 3 of these. 1 WD My Book, 1 Maxtor and 1 Freecom drive.
I have tried coming from both NTFS and FAT32 in case block sizes made a difference.

I'm starting to think this maybe an issue with the USB bus on my VU+.....

pooface
28-01-11, 11:21
Yes, all drives I have tried excepting the USB flash/thumb stick have had external power supplies.

We have about 6-7 externals kicking round our house and I have fully cleaned off and formatted 3 of these. 1 WD My Book, 1 Maxtor and 1 Freecom drive.
I have tried coming from both NTFS and FAT32 in case block sizes made a difference.

I'm starting to think this maybe an issue with the USB bus on my VU+.....

You say you come from both ntfs & fat32... Does this mean that you are trying to use that file system to record to, or have you actually initialised to ext2/3 either through telnet, or from the hardisk menu?

Hadesuk
28-01-11, 11:52
Lol as stated I followed Sicilians guide to the letter....

This is probably also a good time to explain I'm an IT manager with many years admining linux and windows.

The drives were alwats initialized... Indeed I even tried reformatting and repartitioning the drives with the VU+... I have even formatted one of the drives to EXT3 in my local debian server but to no avail again.

Sicilian
28-01-11, 12:08
What image are you using and can you watch HD TV channels on TV stutter free? Are these FTA or encrypted channels?

pooface
28-01-11, 13:55
What image are you using and can you watch HD TV channels on TV stutter free? Are these FTA or encrypted channels?

In first post says vix image, so guess you've not changed?

But yes, can you play and record fta channels ok (such as bbc1 hd, bbc hd etc)?

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

Hadesuk
28-01-11, 14:11
The problem remains on both fta and encrypted channels.

I can watch both forms of HD just fine with no glitching as I have a local card for these and obviously fta works fine if encrypted does.
I have only used the ViX image so far and it is the latest. I may well try a different image this evening see if it's any better.

If all else fails I'll just go buy the caddy Sicilian uses to be able to remove everything from the equation.

pooface
28-01-11, 15:32
The problem remains on both fta and encrypted channels.

I can watch both forms of HD just fine with no glitching as I have a local card for these and obviously fta works fine if encrypted does.
I have only used the ViX image so far and it is the latest. I may well try a different image this evening see if it's any better.

If all else fails I'll just go buy the caddy Sicilian uses to be able to remove everything from the equation.

Rather than buy a caddy, why not try installing the hdd internally? If it works then, we defo know it's to do with the usb...

Wanted to rule fta out also, as it might be a tuner/signal issue...

Hadesuk
28-01-11, 16:33
As far as I was aware you can't install a HDD internally in a Solo can you??

Hadesuk
28-01-11, 16:49
Ok thought I would let you know I have managed to sort the issue.

I reformatted on my debian system to EXT3, reinitialized on the VU+ and reformatted and now have a recording path set as /media/hdd/movie
I also made a new directory for timeshift and pointed timeshift to /media/hdd/timeshift

Hope that might help some other people

Everything now appears to work perfectly. Thanks alot for letting me sound out.

pooface
28-01-11, 18:15
Ok thought I would let you know I have managed to sort the issue.

I reformatted on my debian system to EXT3, reinitialized on the VU+ and reformatted and now have a recording path set as /media/hdd/movie
I also made a new directory for timeshift and pointed timeshift to /media/hdd/timeshift

Hope that might help some other people

Everything now appears to work perfectly. Thanks alot for letting me sound out.

Sorry, didn't realise this was for solo. For some reason thought you were using duo! Ignore me ;)

cooolflow
15-10-11, 16:28
I have the same,hd recording is very stuttery, I have a samsung 2.5 320gb. it never initizied properly only to about 98% but still works fine for normal recording. but HD is pants.???