PDA

View Full Version : Can not record with hard drive

jcm193
17-12-10, 13:54
Ok i get this messege everytime i want to record to my segate usb harddrive from standby iam running on vix 1.1
"in order to record a timer,the tv was switched to the recording service"
as i say this only seems to happen when the hardrive has been in standby and everytime this happens i have to restart the box and its fine again.Does anyone know how i can fix this problem or is it ok to stop the hard drive going into stanby thanks

jcm193
20-12-10, 21:45
Ive still not had any reply about this surley someone must kno how to fix this problem

Sicilian
21-12-10, 12:27
Have you initialized your hard drive? does it have its own PSU?

jcm193
21-12-10, 12:32
Have you initialized your hard drive? does it have its own PSU?

Yes ive inialized it and it has its own psu, it will work fine but if i leave it dorment for any lengh of time i get the message and have to reboot to get it to work,i also get the same problem with a non powered usb hard drive as well i set it to not go into stanby but it makes no difference just to add ive tried this on both vti and vix images and i get the same problem on both any ideas

Sicilian
21-12-10, 14:07
Have you set a mount point in device manager? Blue button > ViX Menu > Device manager, make sure its set to /media/hdd.

This could be an issue with your HDD going into somekind of sleep mode.

jcm193
21-12-10, 14:16
Have you set a mount point in device manager? Blue button > ViX Menu > Device manager, make sure its set to /media/hdd.

This could be an issue with your HDD going into somekind of sleep mode.

No i had not done that,will this also affect it via the vti 2.2 as well

Sicilian
21-12-10, 14:18
No i had not done that,will this also affect it via the vti 2.2 as well

dont know about VTI 2.2, not used it.

Take a look at Harddisk settings, Menu > System > Harddisk > Off the top of my head I'm sure theres somekind of sleep setting there. (I'm not by my receiver atm)

jcm193
21-12-10, 14:22
dont know about VTI 2.2, not used it.

Take a look at Harddisk settings, Menu > System > Harddisk > Off the top of my head I'm sure theres somekind of sleep setting there. (I'm not by my receiver atm)

Thankyou if this does not solve it could it be an issue with the reciver its self

Sicilian
21-12-10, 14:26
Thankyou if this does not solve it could it be an issue with the reciver its self

Doubt it, Its more likely a case of the HDD going into somekind or sleep/standby mode.

Try other images such as PLi and VTi and see how you get on, at least we'll know if its a ViX issue, could even be a driver issue.

jcm193
21-12-10, 14:30
ive tried vti and its the same i dont think there is a pli for the solo

Sicilian
21-12-10, 14:33
i dont think there is a pli for the solo

Sorry forgot about that.

Try the sleep setting mentioned above and let us know hoe you get on.

jcm193
21-12-10, 15:12
Ive been on the phone to seagate and they do have a sleep mode on all of there hard drives,they have sent me a link for there sofware to change it so the harddrive will not go into sleep mode.The only problem is that its only for windows which is fine as i can format back to ntfs,but Iam concered i will look the new sleep mode settings when i format to linus for hte vu+ i guess i will have to wait and see what happens out of interest does anyone know of a usb hard drive htat does not have a sleep mode in it thanks

Sicilian
21-12-10, 16:14
All I ever used is an old 2.5" SATA hitachi laptop drive in an external enclosure.

Before appying any changes to the HDD, check Menu > System > Harddisk > Harddisk settings.

jcm193
21-12-10, 16:18
All I ever used is an old 2.5" SATA hitachi laptop drive in an external enclosure.

Before appying any changes to the HDD, check Menu > System > Harddisk > Harddisk settings.

I assume that was externally powered

Sicilian
21-12-10, 16:21
I assume that was externally powered

Yes it is. It had a socket for a 5volt PSU.