PDA

View Full Version : christmas coming early - new vu+ solo on way!

irishchris
12-12-10, 21:27
I was about to buy a vu+ solo this evening {of site sponsor obviously} until i mentioned it to my wife and spoiled her christmas present for me. She had bought me a vu+ solo for crimbo and is enroute. needless to say she paid over the odds for it and she wasnt too happy to hear she overpaid :)
but either way am delighted to have my new toy for christmas and some company for my duo :D

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 21:28
well done mate result there

now i need to get me one too

world-of-satellite.co.uk
12-12-10, 21:31
Sound like the sort of thing my missus would do lol!

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 21:35
Sound like the sort of thing my missus would do lol!

i wish my missus did that

i dont get pressies any more

my missus get the money off me for my pressie lol

but hey its the thought that counts

Larry-G
12-12-10, 21:38
i think once this shooting season is over and ive bought my new shotgun ( it will be my 14th lol ) i'll be buying my self a solo.

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 21:40
i think once this shooting season is over and ive bought my new shotgun ( it will be my 14th lol ) i'll be buying my self a solo.

go for the duo have a solo as a second unit

and remember our sponsor

[how many guns you got????]

Larry-G
12-12-10, 21:41
i actually fancy the solo for some reason. but i'll see closer to the day.

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 21:43
i actually fancy the solo for some reason. but i'll see closer to the day.

i know what u mean i want a second duo as i mentioned in the past but i am getting pulled towards the solo as well

Sicilian
12-12-10, 21:44
If i'm honest if it wasn't for the recording that I do for the missus I'd use my Solo as my main receiver.

Stanman
12-12-10, 21:47
just ordered one for my nephew. I was tempted by the TM800HD display but opted for the solo

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 21:53
well looks like my second may just be a solo then with a usb hdd

well actually for the missus to use she not bothered about twin tuner and a usb hdd will suffice for her

pooface
12-12-10, 21:55
Lucky sod! lol. Only thing missing really with the solo is use of a proper hdd... It could do with either an e-sata or ability of an internal sata...

The solo is a great box, but prefer the duo...

Larry-G
12-12-10, 21:59
If i'm honest if it wasn't for the recording that I do for the missus I'd use my Solo as my main receiver.

i'm pretty much the same. i dont have any intentions of using it as a PVR i have a sky hd dodgy box that does that rather well. for me any receiver i do buy will be for playing and experimenting with. i still to this day experiment almost daily with my now 7 year old DM7020. i have setting the thing up, down to a fine art of 30 mins from start to Finnish.

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 22:01
i'm pretty much the same. i dont have any intentions of using it as a PVR i have a sky hd dodgy box that does that rather well. for me any receiver i do buy will be for playing and experimenting with. i still to this day experiment almost daily with my now 7 year old DM7020. i have setting the thing up, down to a fine art of 30 mins from start to Finnish.

gonna need help on the 7020 soon

Larry-G
12-12-10, 22:02
gonna need help on the 7020 soon

no worries if i can i will.

irishchris
12-12-10, 23:36
you guys just made me remember i need to buy an external hdd. forgot about that one. anyone see any good offers? must stick my tm600 up for sale. i only bought it 3 months ago but new hdtv needed a hd solo :)

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 23:38
look in bargain basment should be some offers posted there mainly by bassett hound

there is a 2TB USB3 posted by pheonix too

Sic got one

just reading your posts tell me your as happy as a pig in s**t

irishchris
12-12-10, 23:52
look in bargain basment should be some offers posted there mainly by bassett hound

there is a 2TB USB3 posted by pheonix too

Sic got one

just reading your posts tell me your as happy as a pig in s**t

cheers mate ;) and i can tell ya i am happier than a field of pigs in s**t :roflmao:

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:02
Christmas is comming early for me too yay just got a solo from site sponsor well chuffed

irishchris
16-12-10, 20:09
Christmas is comming early for me too yay just got a solo from site sponsor well chuffed

delighted for you mate - you will not regret it if it is anything like the duo :) mine is here tomorrow hopefully - cant wait to fire it up with the vix solo image :) still trying to get my missus to check her emails and get me the tracking number ;)

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:12
delighted for you mate - you will not regret it if it is anything like the duo :) mine is here tomorrow hopefully - cant wait to fire it up with the vix solo image :) still trying to get my missus to check her emails and get me the tracking number ;)

put your fut down :lol3: get her password i got the password for my missus email address infact it on my outlook

bassethound
16-12-10, 20:19
Good news mate i hope its not sent by city link took me a week to get a box from technomate delivered

irishchris
16-12-10, 20:20
put your fut down :lol3: get her password i got the password for my missus email address infact it on my outlook
lol she might ask for mine then - cant have that :roflmao:

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:23
:roflmao: :zoom:

Stanman
16-12-10, 20:32
Got my solo from the site sponsor and its all set up and working fine.

Got to say not as good as the DUO, it really needs a display and at £250 squids VU should be able to put one in.

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:34
Got my solo from the site sponsor and its all set up and working fine.

Got to say not as good as the DUO, it really needs a display and at £250 squids VU should be able to put one in.

but then again stan for an extra £100 is that really worth it for the extra feature i'd say no but yes a bit overpriced i think the duo hout be about £300 and solo £200-£225

bassethound
16-12-10, 20:34
I just miss a power on/off button

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:41
I just miss a power on/off button

sorry do you mean a standy button or a main back power button like the DUO

Stanman
16-12-10, 20:41
For that extra £100 you get a 2nd tuner, which I find invaluable.

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:42
For that extra £100 you get a 2nd tuner, which I find invaluable.

yes but but but a second tuner in theory should not cost £100

Stanman
16-12-10, 20:43
Whats the best settings through a scart on this - finding the text is blurry on a non hd tv.

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 20:44
Whats the best settings through a scart on this - finding the text is blurry on a non hd tv.

not got mine yet maybe good to start a thread someone may know [why your nephew not got hd tv yet]

Stanman
16-12-10, 20:59
Box is in my bedroom being set up and my HD one is downstairs. His got HD but I have a flatscreen 32 panasonic that is still brill on sd channels and cant see reason to change.

bassethound
16-12-10, 21:02
sorry do you mean a standy button or a main back power button like the DUO

No mains power button on/off switch at the back

Foxylady
16-12-10, 21:03
Good woman you have there bud.
Like others here me and wife dont really get xmas pressies as we well i lol end up buying here massive pumps, wildcaught malawis throughout the year for her, she gets more than enough, thou she was stuck for me as i like my gadgets and my old skool golfs, but i have all i need.
BUT she did get me something and she wasn't happy i answered door to sign recorded mail this morning, well it was in my name lmao, a nice coolwater aftershave set

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 21:04
No mains power button on/off switch at the back

looks like then thats the first mod i will be doing better prep my dremil and go maplins get a switch

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 21:06
Good woman you have there bud.
Like others here me and wife dont really get xmas pressies as we well i lol end up buying here massive pumps, wildcaught malawis throughout the year for her, she gets more than enough, thou she was stuck for me as i like my gadgets and my old skool golfs, but i have all i need.
BUT she did get me something and she wasn't happy i answered door to sign recorded mail this morning, well it was in my name lmao, a nice coolwater aftershave set

is that coolwater by daviddof i have the special edition coolwater ice

satmanbasil
16-12-10, 23:39
Hi guys

With the sudden death of my dreambox 7000 im down to my ageing dm7020 and vu+duo so been reading up about all the linux boxes about in my budget. Got it down to either a DM800 clone or the solo. On reading how may dm clone buyers had them fail within a year i decided to go for the solo because of the support from our sponcers and image makers, if the solo is half as good as the duo i will be more than a happy man.

regards
satmanbasil

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 23:50
Hi guys

With the sudden death of my dreambox 7000 im down to my ageing dm7020 and vu+duo so been reading up about all the linux boxes about in my budget. Got it down to either a DM800 clone or the solo. On reading how may dm clone buyers had them fail within a year i decided to go for the solo because of the support from our sponcers and image makers, if the solo is half as good as the duo i will be more than a happy man.

regards
satmanbasil

i just ordered one from the sponser this afternoon cant wait

Stanman
17-12-10, 08:55
I've had mine for a day now and I have to say if i had bought it for myself I would be disappointed as after the Duo its a let down for the price you pay.

Its def of my list as an additional box and I would rather save up bit more and get the DUO.

pooface
17-12-10, 10:22
I've had mine for a day now and I have to say if i had bought it for myself I would be disappointed as after the Duo its a let down for the price you pay.

Its def of my list as an additional box and I would rather save up bit more and get the DUO.

Why's that? What image you using?

I've got the vix image on my solo, and apart from the lack of a vfd and rocker power switch, I think it's great. Works about as good as the duo, without an extra tuner. Other thing that it could do with is an e-sata port... but for my use as a second box, it's great.

OT:
Talk about christmas coming early, sat here waiting to film the nursery nativity at one of my schools. Been sat here 20 mins so far, and bored out of brain. Best get some ybf moments :D hehe

Sent by my phone

irishchris
17-12-10, 10:47
Tbh that's the first negative-ish comment I have heard about the solo but is good to hear a balance of views on it.
Finally got the tracking number on my solo off the missus and it was sent standard post from bloody germany! And can only be tracked once enters ireland which when I checked today it still has not!! Not a happy person this morning :)

@pooface I feel your pain mate :) I have one of kids nativitys this evening!

pooface
17-12-10, 11:35
Tbh that's the first negative-ish comment I have heard about the solo but is good to hear a balance of views on it.
Finally got the tracking number on my solo off the missus and it was sent standard post from bloody germany! And can only be tracked once enters ireland which when I checked today it still has not!! Not a happy person this morning :)

@pooface I feel your pain mate :) I have one of kids nativitys this evening!

Why'd she buy it from Germany? So, she spent more than the sponser is doing it for, and also bought it from Germany!? What was she thinking :p hehe.

As for nativities, it's not too bad when it's your own kids, but others... Well, I have finally finished! At least this year they didn't make references to using a land rover to get to bethlehem as they couldn't be bothered to walk!!! hehe. But my LO's nativity was cancelled because the place they were gonna do it was soaked... :(

irishchris
17-12-10, 12:15
Why'd she buy it from Germany? So, she spent more than the sponser is doing it for, and also bought it from Germany!? What was she thinking :p hehe.
(

thats women for you lol

Sicilian
17-12-10, 14:14

Have you loaded the ViX image? Imo it works as well as the Duo performance wise. If it wasn't for the missus recording loads of stuff I'd use my Solo as my main receiver. Nice, small and trendy looking :)

Stanman
17-12-10, 20:09
I have VIX 1.2 on it and its not a bad box but for the £100 difference the DUO is better.
The DUO boots faster, has a display and is more responsive and to me its worth the £100 extra

irishchris
18-12-10, 21:21
well my solo arrived today. got vix loaded up straight away and is excellent. equally as reliable and quick as the duo. and pic on the hd channels on my new tv look fantastic. so i am a happy chappy :) also set up a network mount to my vu+ duo hdd and works perfect for recording and for watching my duo recordings out here with my solo ;)

silverfox0786
18-12-10, 22:27
well done mate now just waiting for mine on monday but with the 12inch show doubt it though

satmanbasil
19-12-10, 03:53
Hi mates

Was expecting to see my box delivered on friday but no movement on tracking since its left the hub to travel south on thursday on reading up on city link site it says my local hub is running 2 days behind...great !!! its a pity they didnt decide to open today and play catchup will give them to monday see if it comes then i will have to start chasing them, i would have thought some movement even if it was to show it arrived down south and was pending delivery.
Im getting worried as my last box a duo also got lost in transit just hope this aint gone the same way ???

regards
satmanbasil

pooface
19-12-10, 08:44
well my solo arrived today. got vix loaded up straight away and is excellent. equally as reliable and quick as the duo. and pic on the hd channels on my new tv look fantastic. so i am a happy chappy :) also set up a network mount to my vu+ duo hdd and works perfect for recording and for watching my duo recordings out here with my solo ;)

What you doing playing with it already?! Thought it was meant to be a Christmas present? You should've waited another week! Santa won't be happy :p

Sent by my phone

irishchris
19-12-10, 18:22
ah she let it slip when i mentioned i was ordering one last week off sponsor and she had to admit she already had got one. it came in post addressed to me. how was si to know it was the solo ;) {even if i had been tracking it for the previous 24 hours :rofl: }

silverfox0786
21-12-10, 19:15
Christmas has come early santa [city link] has just dropped off my Solo

satmanbasil
21-12-10, 23:37
Hi guys

Same here santa arrived in a green/yellow van with a parcel under his arm...happy days setup took me all of 20mins all that practice with the duo lol

regards
satmanbasil

irishchris
21-12-10, 23:48
you would imagine will all this snow around santa would go back to using his sleigh and leave the van at home :roflmao:

looks like there are many happy new solo owners like myself this week :) it is a great piece of kit, am well impressed

satmanbasil
22-12-10, 13:43
Hi mate

Didnt get a ho ho ho from my santa just a grunt...sign here lol

Have to agree the solo if far better than i thought it would be even s*y Italy looks more stable with less pixeling than it did with my dream 7020 which after all these years service is now resting in retirement lol

regards
satmanbasil
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to One n All

bigup7
22-12-10, 14:43
received my duo/1tb drive today, but im stuck at work at the moment

admittedly i didnt buy from the site sponsor :(, this is because i missed the xmas deadline for ordering so had to order from elsewhere for me to get it before the holidays.

silverfox0786
22-12-10, 15:09
received my duo/1tb drive today, but im stuck at work at the moment

admittedly i didnt buy from the site sponsor :(, this is because i missed the xmas deadline for ordering so had to order from elsewhere for me to get it before the holidays.

deadline for sponsor was today btw to receive tomorrow

bigup7
22-12-10, 16:14
deadline for sponsor was today btw to receive tomorrow

im sure it said last orders lunch time 21st December - i may of been looking at a different site

anyway, didnt want to risk ordering on last day of deadline incase the weather delayed it longer.

edit: yep it was sponsors

Cut off time for orders to be dispatched in time for Christmas delivery will be 12PM 21st December 2010

i ordered at 3pm 21st December and arrived today

pooface
22-12-10, 20:57
im sure it said last orders lunch time 21st December - i may of been looking at a different site

anyway, didnt want to risk ordering on last day of deadline incase the weather delayed it longer.

edit: yep it was sponsors

i ordered at 3pm 21st December and arrived today

Am sure if you'd spoke to the sponser he'd have let you know whether he would've been able to get it to you ;) must remember for next time :p

world-of-satellite.co.uk
27-12-10, 07:35
Just to let members know that due to some new orders being placed over christmas we've decided to re-open for order processing only between 29th and 30th December. Revised Christmas opening hours here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=6