PDA

View Full Version : difference between the VU+ Solo and VU+ Duo

headshot
09-11-10, 19:02
hello

Im thinking of getting a VU+ solo or duo but im not sure which one ill go for.
Is there a big difference between the 2?

silverfox0786
09-11-10, 19:11
in image and performance wise not really no difference. The main difference is in the name SOLO is single Tuner and Duo is Dual Tuner. And you got the pprice difference but for the money if can afford it is the DUO

headshot
09-11-10, 19:14
in image and performance wise not really no difference. The main difference is in the name SOLO is single Tuner and Duo is Dual Tuner. And you got the pprice difference but for the money if can afford it is the DUO

thanks for the reply silver
im happy to learn that bar the tuner there's no difference, so ill be going for the solo. Recording isnt the biggest deal to me and the solo is a good bit cheaper

Stanman
09-11-10, 19:55
Also the SOLO processor is slighlty slower as well.

Sicilian
09-11-10, 19:56
As stated the main difference it being its that its a single tuner and the recording capabilities.

The Duo does have some other extra features such as an extra USB port to the rear, eSata port and front display.

Dont forget to checkout our sponsor for your purchase :)

pooface
09-11-10, 21:35
As Sic stated, those are the main differences.

I'd say though, depending on how you want to use the box would be how I would decide the box I want. I mainly watch tv in the living room. As so, I think it's nice to have a vfd, as it's handy to just see the time etc. With the solo, you just get a green light. That's a bit of a disappointment for me. In the bedroom, the solo is great. Gives me most of the benefits of the duo, plus it's smaller, and don't need the vfd.

However, in both boxes I would say you would be best off with a hdd. I definitely want one in the living room, as it's used all the time to record programs and watch recordings. I get around this in the bedroom by using the network share from the duo...

So, if being used as a main satellite box, I would definitely say the duo. But, if cost is a massive factor, then the solo will get you by no probs :)

headshot
10-11-10, 00:06
is this true ?

"i personally would not go for a solo as is not as well supported. pli originally said they would not support it at all when it first launched not sure if they have changed that policy? other teams do such as vix but by all regards is not as supported as the duo"

fulabeer
10-11-10, 00:10
Another point is the fact that the DUO is supported a little better at the moment.
Now the VIX guys have their Solo's, this shouldn't be as much of an issue.

I just think that spending the little extra on the Duo anyway is well worth the money.
Saying that, you cannot go wrong with either box! LOL...

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 00:29
is this true ?

"i personally would not go for a solo as is not as well supported. pli originally said they would not support it at all when it first launched not sure if they have changed that policy? other teams do such as vix but by all regards is not as supported as the duo"

i wouldn't write it off completely its now got the well needed support and stick to vix and andy and all of us here will continue to support it and help where we can. but agreed the Duo just has the overall edge if you can budget that much for it

headshot
10-11-10, 00:46
thanks lads or all the help, im going to sleep on it and ill decide then

Sicilian
10-11-10, 05:34
Just so you know software wise the ViX image for the Solo is more or less the same as the Duo.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
10-11-10, 08:23
Here's the sponsor's input :)

Main differences: -

Duo has VFD Display, Solo no display.
Duo Twin tuner, Solo single tuner.
Duo two card slots, Solo one card slot.
Duo has internal SATA connection for HDD, Solo uses external USB HDD.
Duo has eSata, Solo doesn't.
Duo has 3 USB ports, Solo has 2.

Although the Solo has a slightly slower CPU, during normal operation you wouldn't notice any difference. In my opinion if you don't plan on doing loads of recordings etc.. I'd say the Solo would be fine for your needs, but that would be your choice.

Also read here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1106-Review-of-VU-Solo-Enigma-2-Linux-receiver

pooface
10-11-10, 09:11
is this true ?

As you've said, there is less support for the solo compared to the duo, but it's not that far behind support wise, and as Sic says, the VIX image for the solo offers virtually exactly the same as for the duo. So, it's just the features of the solo which are less...

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just make sure you make the right decision, so in the future you're not thinking "I wish I'd spent the extra and got the duo" or "I shouldn't have spent so much on the duo and got the solo"...

headshot
10-11-10, 15:14
Here's the sponsor's input :)

Main differences: -

Duo has VFD Display, Solo no display.
Duo Twin tuner, Solo single tuner.
Duo two card slots, Solo one card slot.
Duo has internal SATA connection for HDD, Solo uses external USB HDD.
Duo has eSata, Solo doesn't.
Duo has 3 USB ports, Solo has 2.

Although the Solo has a slightly slower CPU, during normal operation you wouldn't notice any difference. In my opinion if you don't plan on doing loads of recordings etc.. I'd say the Solo would be fine for your needs, but that would be your choice.

Also read here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1106-Review-of-VU-Solo-Enigma-2-Linux-receiver

one minute here

I thought the solo has 2 card slots ?

I want 2 slots so i can have a jsc and cyfra card in the box at the same time, is that possible?

Sicilian
10-11-10, 15:19
one minute here

I thought the solo has 2 card slots ?

I want 2 slots so i can have a jsc and cyfra card in the box at the same time, is that possible?

No Solo has only one card slot, full spec here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver You could use a Smargo smartreader for a second card slot, but if you going to spend approx £30 on a smargo smartreader to have a second card slot you might as well order yourself a Duo and be done with.

headshot
10-11-10, 15:21
No Solo has only one card slot, full spec here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver You could use a Smargo smartreader for a second card slot, but if you going to spend approx £30 on a smargo smartreader to have a second card slot you might as well order yourself a Duo and be done with.

ah now that has made me think twice

ugh pain in the hole

Sicilian
10-11-10, 15:22
Or another option would be to use a CI cam for one of your cards.

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 15:27
Or another option would be to use a CI cam for one of your cards.

either way Sic its extra money that could be put towards a duo and then slowly as time goes by he can buy a smargo or cam for more cards if need be

but like phoenix said think about thepros and cons and decide the best option.

Personally i got a Duo and need another box and am seriously considering another Duo again [thats if i dont go for a Solo or TM 800]