PDA

View Full Version : Stop external drive spinning

stash36
24-10-10, 11:32
How do I get my external drive to go into standby, it is constantly spinning, even when box in standby?

I have a samsung f2 1.5tb drive with an esata case. I have looked into it and found I probably need a linux routine called SDPARM. The vu has HDPARM but not this one.
I have tried installing SDPARM, but received errors stating there is no compiler installed. Loading a compiler looks a nightmare, I'm fairly unix literate but I'm struggling.

Anyone solved this?

Sicilian
24-10-10, 19:16
Press menu > setup > system > harddisk > Harddisk setting, set your standby time.

stash36
24-10-10, 21:04
Sicilian, yes done that, has no effect. Does it work for you? Not sure what it is that is incompatible, maybe the disk enclosure.

pooface
24-10-10, 21:34
Sicilian, yes done that, has no effect. Does it work for you? Not sure what it is that is incompatible, maybe the disk enclosure.

I used that when using a freecom quattro e-sata drive, worked fine...

SOLO MAN
25-10-10, 07:31
hi m8.

look at this:
Well, the spin-down of USB-drives is neither controlled by the hard disk itself nor by the Pogoplug. It is controlled by the chip in your external case. Unfortunately, not all HDD cases have a controller which shuts the disks down. And, unfortunately most cheap usb hdd cases completely lack a design to get rid of high temperatures.

I have two 400 GB drives which get really hot while running. But I was lucky and found an aluminum case which transports the heat very well and which shuts down the hard disk when it is not in use.
For people living in Europe or those oversees who want to spend a fortune on shipping, I suggest this usb drive case: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/412567/

I use that case on my pogoplug and I am very satisfied. Also available for SATA-Drives.

Inside is some chipset from "Initio".

"Google" for usb hdd case spinning control.

BR