PDA

View Full Version : Will the Solo receive USB Tuner support?

twinkletoes
26-06-10, 01:27
I believe the Solo has two USB ports, front and back. Would it be possible to have an external HDD on one and a USB Tuner on the other? Is this just a software issue (ie, firmware not supporting it at the moment) or is there a hardware reason this won't work?

I think I will definitely be purchasing Vu+ box, I am just trying to get the best bang for the buck ;)

Thanks for reading my post

Sicilian
26-06-10, 06:09
USB Tuner depends if its supported by Dream Elite and if VU+ provide virtual tuner functionality for the Solo. So at the moment I'd have to say there are no actual plans for this, but it might happen in the future.

twinkletoes
27-06-10, 06:14
Thanks for the post Sicilian. I am slightly worried about recording and watching on a USB Tuner at the same time, whether the box will be powerful enough?

Sicilian
27-06-10, 07:06
Thanks for the post Sicilian. I am slightly worried about recording and watching on a USB Tuner at the same time, whether the box will be powerful enough?

Sorry I cant answer that and no one will be able to answer that until/if usb tuner support is added.

At the moment there is not any usb tuner support in any image.

pooface
27-06-10, 09:06
I would imagine that it's powerful enough though, since the dm800 can support it, and that has a less powerful processor.

So, I'd say it's best to hold fire like Sic says, but if de are able to start working on it, it's likely that it'll get usb tuner support (but not definate).

To be honest though, bang for buck, I'd say you're best off getting a vu duo :p Unless the price of the solo comes to £250 or less...

Retired member
27-06-10, 12:40
Everyone keeps mentioning the price of the SOLO should be £250ish, can I ask why, what other receiver are we comparing it to?

pooface
27-06-10, 12:52
Compare it to the dm500hd. Differences to me, seem to be that the dm500hd has an e-sata whereas the vu+ solo has usb. The dm500hd has a better chip (iirc, although I could be wrong?!). For me, I would much rather had an e-sata and be able to connect a hard drive properly to the system, rather than relying on a usb hdd to record.

Since the dm500hd can be had for just over £300 (and less if imported), then the dm500hd seems to be better value for money, since dream are known at overpricing things. The vu+ solo is only £100 cheaper than the duo. The duo is roughly the same price as a dm800, and half price of dm800. For what you get in a vu+ duo, it is much better value for money than the vu+ solo is...

Retired member
27-06-10, 13:05
So therefore the VU+ DUO is under priced, not the SOLO over priced?

pooface
27-06-10, 13:19
That's one way to look at it, but if I were to buy a box for single tuner out of a dm500hd and vu+ solo, I would choose the dm... If, the price was lower, then I would more likely go for the solo... They would shift twice as much I reckon if they just cut the price down a little...

Retired member
27-06-10, 13:29
All personal choice, I have both the DM500HD and the SOLO and I would choose the SOLO, and this is not a sales thing for others reading, we sell both.... Personally I think they have the pricing just right, it's cheaper than a DM500HD by £20 from all UK stores, it's better made and more importantly it works, but it also emphasises what a great price the DUO is.

twinkletoes
27-06-10, 18:14
Does the DM500 support currently or have any indication that in the future it will support a USB Tuner/is capable of supporting a USB Tuner? Doesn't it only have a mini USB plug?

Thanks for the all the posts, I want to spend about £300 or less, but obviously I want the best for the money and CCCAM server capability.

Retired member
27-06-10, 18:20
Yes DM500HD is mini USB only so chances of the USB tuner support are unlikely (although suppose not impossible), mind you we don't really know if the SOLO will support it either, but there is more chance it will....

twinkletoes
27-06-10, 18:28
I guess the only other option is a DM800HD but they appear to be closer to the DUO price for a genuine unit. I don't like the idea of a clone although more through ignorance than anything else, I don't know much about them. Single Tuner + USB Tuner and HDD recording capability, is a DM800HD clone a viable option?

Retired member
27-06-10, 18:38
My advice is avoid a clone at all costs, always been problems with the tuners, really not worth the hassle, we'd never sell them ourselves but I have had one to play with and like a lot of them the tuner went faulty... The genuine DM800 are actually discountinued, they'll be replaced with the DM800-SE sometime this year (probably), I suppose the one advantage they do have is the plug-and-play tuner, so you could add a DVB-T tuner if you liked, but it's only one or the other tuner, not both at once.... I'd go for the SOLO I think out of the DM500HD, DM800 and SOLO, I base this on support we receive as re-sellers, build quality of the product and features, but honestly I'd try and save the extra £100 up for the DUO, I think everyones agreed for the money this is by far the best buy of them all.

Likvid
27-06-10, 19:36
The SOLO is overpriced no doubt, £199 would be a fair price.

The DUO is a bit overpriced and would need to sell at £349 instead.

Considering what both cost to buy from distributor directly there is a pretty high margin the retailer have here, even at £349 for the DUO the retailers would make a good margin.

Likvid
27-06-10, 19:39
I guess the only other option is a DM800HD but they appear to be closer to the DUO price for a genuine unit. I don't like the idea of a clone although more through ignorance than anything else, I don't know much about them. Single Tuner + USB Tuner and HDD recording capability, is a DM800HD clone a viable option?

Trust me, you don't want a DM800, i had one and it got overheated all the time, i couldn't even have my card inside it, when i took it out i could barely touch it because of the heat.

Likvid
27-06-10, 19:41
Everyone keeps mentioning the price of the SOLO should be £250ish, can I ask why, what other receiver are we comparing it to?

It should be £199 and that's why i don't think the Solo will sell well which will force dealers to lower price with time.

Retired member
27-06-10, 20:21
I diagree once support for third party images has started.... Show me a cheaper priced Enigma2 receiver (genuine one) that works and I'll maybe change my mind.... But like with all these things time will tell, the £199 price just simply won't happen or come anywhere near, sorry.

Likvid
27-06-10, 23:13
We will see, the economy in Europe is getting worse for each week and people will have other priorities when it comes to food on the table

paul362
28-06-10, 07:20
Don't quite understand the argument here because the DM500 is £19 dearer than the Solo yet only offers e-sata over the Solo ? personally I would still go with the Solo (or duo) for an extra £79.00 as the build quality and picture will be as good or better than the 500 also the 500 is to small and has to have a fan to cool it ? surely DM should of re-thought the size of the box for cooling @least.

Just my opinion.

Zupy
28-06-10, 11:09
Yes DM500HD is mini USB only so chances of the USB tuner support are unlikely (although suppose not impossible), mind you we don't really know if the SOLO will support it either, but there is more chance it will....

There is usb hack for dm500HD (need some hw modification) and usb dvb-t tuners already works on 500hd (DE image).

Dream Elite BH 1.3 OE1.6 DM500HD Usb Tuner Multiboot

The Usb Drivers will be Extended and Updated via Addons Manager.
Currently included Anglofsky1980 Driver Module DIB0700:

AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Volar
Compro Videomate U500
Uniwill STK7700P based (Hama and others)
Leadtek Winfast DTV Dongle (STK7700P based)
AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Express
Gigabyte U7000
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T
Pinnacle PCTV 2000e
Terratec Cinergy DT XS Diversity (Test OK)
Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick/Elgato Eye-TV Diversity (Test NOK )
ASUS My Cinema U3000 Mini DVBT Tuner
Pinnacle PCTV DVB-T Flash Stick
Artec T14BR DVB-T
ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner (Test NOK)
Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (70019) (test OK)
Hauppauge Nova-T MyTV.t
Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Diversity Stick

kit for dm500hd

http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/dm500usb.htm

also you can do that withouth kit but one thing is questionable because of hw and modifications to the loss of warranty

Retired member
28-06-10, 11:20
Thanks, that's some good info, but the obvious thing with that is it'd void any warranty you might have I'm sure, still nice to know it's an option.... The other thing that's not been mentioned yet, the SOLO has 2 cam clots in, the DM500 has none, again this is not a real clincher either way but worth a mention.